Dusty’s Budgeting Thread

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
Well thats at Starbucks I know it’s $15 but looking at the net on page one he is making $80k give or take. Overall seems like a lot to cut:

1) Insurance is $4200 a year. I know Nevada has high insurance (alcohol laws) and his credit sucks so whammy. But that seems like a lot for two shit boxes. Has he tried shoppping around?
2) Rent - $1,680 - 2 bedroom? Or really nice 1 bedroom? Quick search found plenty of 1 bedroom’s for $1340 or so. Seems like an easy way to save money.
3) Streaming was covered and no need to make him a pauper but looks like he can save $75-$80 or so by going down to 1 service at at a time. With his budget just rotate services.

Toe be honest the rest of his budget seems good - food. I’d be shopping insurance left and right as that is a big one. And when lease is up downgrading
If he was really serious he’d swallow his pride and ask to move back home with the parents.

Mike00

Feb 11, 2005
pa
If he was really serious he’d swallow his pride and ask to move back home with the parents.

What pride? 94 pages on a budget thread in under a month. I mean it took everybody 10 seconds to see cancel streaming services…. He probably spends more than I do on it or damn close.

Oh which you just reminded me his cellphone is rediculous I had 5 phones at one point for $230 a month…..

Chazzworth

Current title:
May 25, 2001
CA
No plan is to save up whatever the amount negative is ($10k or so) and trade it in in a year or so, using that to cover the difference between what it’s worth and how much we owe.

The car is worth about $13k according to KBB. The principal amount is $22k. Then we wouldn’t have to worry about it anymore.
Whoooaaa Wait! So you bought a car that books for $13k less than a month ago but owe $22k on it? Also I checked the link @JohnnyBeagle posted and in my area the only place to use the warranty is tire shops and Pep Boys! WTF MAN!!!

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
Whoooaaa Wait! So you bought a car that books for $13k less than a month ago but owe $22k on it? Also I checked the link @JohnnyBeagle posted and in my area the only place to use the warranty is tire shops and Pep Boys! WTF MAN!!!
$2100 goes a long way at pepboys

And you can bet that insurance company will deny everything possible

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
Imagine what this would do for his work ethic to be around a bunch of manly men dudes all day. It’s exactly what he needs tbh
They sat down and decided

1. He's not a construction type worker
2. They need a second car in case dusty needs to go to a dentist appointment
3. Sending his wife back to acapella university for another useless degree is a good idea because it'll defer out repayment of her student loans further

Charlie

omghi2u
OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2005
Atlanta
The fact that he thinks he can save 10k in a year or so is so ignorant man it's incredible. Going to try to stop being negative but I just don't understand how he can confidently say nonsense like that.

Reactions: Chazzworth

Charlie

omghi2u
OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2005
Atlanta
I ruined my credit and spent ~$100k on drugs in my 20s and had high mileage M5 that cost me 20k in repairs just a bit ago. But I've recovered from all of that. My credit is great now and I bought a 2015 Lexus with 25k mi. They were all valuable lessons to learn but having a good income is really what made it possible to recover. If I were him instead of working a second job I would figure out what job I could work my way up in quickly to a good income and spend every extra bit of time I have getting prepared, getting and eventually working that job. He does have a spending problem and financial decsion making problem but getting his income is the best way out of this mess and have a real life for his family. He could cut his spending like crazy but he would still be poor.

Last edited:

Mike00

Feb 11, 2005
pa
The fact that he thinks he can save 10k in a year or so is so ignorant man it's incredible. Going to try to stop being negative but I just don't understand how he can confidently say nonsense like that.

well. If his wife does get this second job - in theory that check should go in a separate savings account and they never touch it. So I’d say it would be possible then.

Reactions: Dusty Busterson

hipberri

Jan 27, 2016
OT thinks the guy who needed a thread to tell him he shouldn't have 43 streaming subscriptions and two car wash memberships when they have $133 to their name is going to somehow figure out how to pay down a $20k car note to get out from it

If he gets rid of it, they'll find themselves in the same spot before they clicked buy on it and make the same choice again
lmoa the whole point of streaming is to stay at home and save money instead of going out but he failed at that.

• Haha
Reactions: Cicada

cASe SenSiTive

Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime
Oct 24, 2001
Dangerously close to Detroit
@Dusty Busterson Has you wife worked with the career department at her college to assist with her resume and job search? It appears they have resources available for graduates. A degree, even from a for-profit place like Capella, should be worth more than a phone-jockey job. And a better job would be preferable to a side-gig slinging lattes.

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest
I ruined my credit and spent ~$100k on drugs in my 20s and had high mileage M5 that cost me 20k in repairs just a bit ago. But I've recovered from all of that. My credit is great now and I bought a 2015 Lexus with 25k mi. They were all valuable lessons to learn but having a good income is really what made it possible to recover. If I were him instead of working a second job I would figure out what job I could work my way up in quickly to a good income and spend every extra bit of time I have getting prepared, getting and eventually working that job. He does have a spending problem and financial decsion making problem but getting his income is the best way out of this mess and have a real life for his family. He could cut his spending like crazy but he would still be poor.
if only high payin union work was available

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
Well thats at Starbucks I know it’s $15 but looking at the net on page one he is making $80k give or take. Overall seems like a lot to cut:

1) Insurance is $4200 a year. I know Nevada has high insurance (alcohol laws) and his credit sucks so whammy. But that seems like a lot for two shit boxes. Has he tried shoppping around?
2) Rent - $1,680 - 2 bedroom? Or really nice 1 bedroom? Quick search found plenty of 1 bedroom’s for $1340 or so. Seems like an easy way to save money.
3) Streaming was covered and no need to make him a pauper but looks like he can save $75-$80 or so by going down to 1 service at at a time. With his budget just rotate services.

Toe be honest the rest of his budget seems good - food. I’d be shopping insurance left and right as that is a big one. And when lease is up downgrading

damn i rented an entire fucking 3 bedroom house in 2019 in a decent area of vegas for 1400

Mike00

Feb 11, 2005
pa
damn i rented an entire fucking 3 bedroom house in 2019 in a decent area of vegas for 1400

I don’t know the rental market In Vegas. Even here in PA though a decent 2 bedroom will go for 1800-1850 in hours and I’m not talking the city. Rent is also going up still.

I have to imagine there are cheaper parts to rent in parts of Vegas and I didn’t do much more than a quick google. but considering how much rent has gone up the last 2.5 years it’s not very surprising either.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026