SPORTS EA MMA Not Necessarily Dead, Though Sequel Isn't In Production

Cro Cop

OT Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
On my Heath Ledger shit
:hs: This is legitimately my favorite game and it has so much potential.

To many, the UFC's acquisition of the competing fight series Strikeforce in March spelled the end of EA Sports MMA. While EA Sports' chief of development did not say that a sequel is in development, he did not say the label was quitting the sport altogether.

"A world where we're not involved in fighting is a world I'd rather not think about," Andrew Wilson told Kotaku. "That said, what goes on in the sport, and what's gone on between the UFC and Strikeforce, certainly has an impact on what we can do in the space."

Strikeforce, as the principal licensor of EA Sports MMA brought some visibility and legitimacy to the project, although both were overshadowed by the dominant UFC brand and its THQ game, which had a breakout hit in 2009 and published a sequel before EA Sports MMA hit shelves.

UFC president Dana White has also publicly rebuked EA Sports and said his operation would never do business with it. (Indeed, THQ has the exclusive license on UFC games). With Strikeforce under UFC, an EA Sports MMA title loses not only the second-place (and a distant second) brand in MMA promotions, its ability to include real licensed fighters from that series becomes murkier. Certainly neither White nor the UFC would approve of any new deals.

Wilson, for his part, said mixed martial arts is a global sport, not a single league under one owner.

"I am, other than [EA Sports MMA executive producer] Dale Jackson, probably the biggest MMA fan here," Wilson said. "I used to watch the fights on pirate VHS tapes in black-and-white. I trained in jiu-jitsu with the Gracie family. I'm a huge fan of the sport.

"So it's not a 'no,' but it's also not a 'yes,'" Wilson said. "We'd love for there to be one because I'm a diehard fan of the sport. We have to figure out how to make that happen."

In November, EA Sports MMA producer Jeff Ecker said there would "definitely" be an EA Sports MMA 2, saying the publisher planned to release it and the boxing series Fight Night in alternating years. That, of course, was three months before the UFC picked up Strikeforce.

Staying in the MMA business could also mean something other than a console title; there is an EA Sports MMA version available for iOS devices.

Fight Night Champion oversees a weaker real-life sport—boxing—yet managed to break out this year with its introduction of a narrative, quasi-role playing career placing players in the shoes and gloves of a fictitious boxer fighting his way to redemption. That could form a basis for an MMA sequel, and the game was stronger in its created-player career mode. Neither of which require licensing.

But name brands are vital to simulation sports video games, and not just for the legitimacy they confer. They also represent marketing channels. One of E3 2010's glitziest events was a Strikeforce fight night held in the nearby Nokia Theater, promoted by EA Sports. Other events in Strikeforce's pre-UFC days heavily promoted the label and its game.

http://kotaku.com/5815622/ea-sports-wont-say-mmas-dead-but-wont-say-its-getting-a-sequel-either

EG6

OT Supporter
Mar 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It sucks cause I actually enjoyed EA MMA more than UFC 2010. We'll see how the new UFC is because it seems like the extra year in development they put into the game sounds like it went to some good changes.

TS
TS

Cro Cop

OT Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
On my Heath Ledger shit
It sucks cause I actually enjoyed EA MMA more than UFC 2010. We'll see how the new UFC is because it seems like the extra year in development they put into the game sounds like it went to some good changes.

I still haven't played UFC 2009 or '10 but I've yet to hear anything good about either game. :o

The shitty thing is that the upgrades they're making are ripoffs of what EA did - new submission controls, Pride rules, etc.

Zoolander

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Michigan
I still haven't played UFC 2009 or '10 but I've yet to hear anything good about either game. :o

The shitty thing is that the upgrades they're making are ripoffs of what EA did - new submission controls, Pride rules, etc.
I have owned all 3. Traded it 09 for 10...I havent touched Undisputed since I got EA MMA, that game is great. The controls, the movement, everything about it is better than Undisputed.

Now dont get me wrong, UFC10 was a fun game, but I just enjoyed EA's game more. No matter how aggrivating EA MMA can be.

TS
TS

Cro Cop

OT Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
On my Heath Ledger shit
I have owned all 3. Traded it 09 for 10...I havent touched Undisputed since I got EA MMA, that game is great. The controls, the movement, everything about it is better than Undisputed.

Now dont get me wrong, UFC10 was a fun game, but I just enjoyed EA's game more. No matter how aggrivating EA MMA can be.

One of these days I'll stop being jewish and pick up UFC 10. :o

By the way, here's a hype video for the Mousasi-Izumi fight.

[y]Fgz_Fwt-a_8[/y]

TS
TS

Cro Cop

OT Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
On my Heath Ledger shit
Not exactly a reputable source, but this is from the MiddleEasy Sunday Morning Rumor Mill:

As rumored earlier this week, plans for EA Sports MMA 2 is well underway.

EG6

OT Supporter
Mar 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not exactly a reputable source, but this is from the MiddleEasy Sunday Morning Rumor Mill:

As rumored earlier this week, plans for EA Sports MMA 2 is well underway.

:bowdown:

I'm going to assume they still have a contract with Strikeforce & DREAM to use their fighters or else is going to be weird playing with fighters from Bellator :mamoru:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan