edu (cooking): Horseradish mac and cheese with canadian bacon...

jshively

Sep 18, 2003
Indiana
Link: http://barebonesbbq.net/wordpress/?p=61

I feel bad I do all these bacon and pork dishes but I never do anything that shows our northern brothers and sisters the respect they deserve for giving us Canadian bacon so tonight I decided to do that. Ok I am lying this was not my first choice. I really really wanted to do some sweetbreads that I picked up at the meat market. Get home and they have a really not right smell. Damn crushed that dream.
So time to stare into the fridge and wait do I see some horseradish cheddar and leftover gruyere from the previous night. Hmmm...I can do with those. Oh...I forgot about that canadian bacon and slowly the lightbulb starts going off and I realized it was going to be macaroni and cheese night. Which fits perfectly into this joyous 18 degree midwestern weather we are having.
For this dish you are going to need:
  • 1/2 lb of canadian bacon diced
  • 1/2 lb of dried macaroni
  • 1 onion medium dice
  • 3 cloves of garlic diced fine
  • 2 cups of horseradish cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup of gruyere
  • 1/2 cup of parmigiano reggiano cheese
  • 1 cup of cream
  • 1.5 cups whole milk (none of this sissy skim crap besides really do you really think it is going to make a difference with the amount of cheese and butter that you dumped the fat from the milk? Keep the taste and just hit the treadmill or do what I do and hit the snooze button repeatedly and swear tommorrow you will wake up early enough to exercise.)
  • 9 tb of butter
  • 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs (get a food processor beat bread till it is small breadcrumbs)
  • teaspoon of crushed red pepper
  • Kosher salt and pepper
Preheat your oven to 450. Follow the package directions and cook the macaroni to ale dente (about 8 minutes). Drain and set aside.
Next over medium heat melt 1 tb of the butter in a medium skillet and add in the onion. Cook till softened (about 5 minutes). Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
onion.JPG

In a large saucepan over medium heat melt the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter (why oh why do I even bother keeping the healthy category on this site).
butter.JPG

Once the butter has been melted stir in the 1/2 cup of flour. Keep stirring to remove any lumps and stir till it is a very light brown (about 3 minutes).
flour.JPG

Once the flour is where it should be at add in the cream and milk and stir to combine.
cream.JPG

Add in 1 cup of the horseradish cheddar, gruyere, and parmigiano reggiano cheese. Stir till the cheese is fully melted. Make sure you stir so none of it gets stuck on the bottom and burns.
cheese.JPG

Once the cheese has melted add in the onion mixture, crushed red pepper, and canadian bacon. Stir to combine everything.
everything.JPG

Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Once you are happy dump the whole mixture into a 9 inch square oven safe pan.
pan.JPG

Sprinkle on the remaining 1 cup of horseradish cheddar cheese (I swear first of the year treadmill here I come).
more_cheese.JPG

Finally top with the breadcrumbs.
breadcrumbs.JPG

Place in the oven and bake till the top is browned and it is bubbly (about 20 minutes).
done.JPG

Serve and enjoy!
plate1.JPG

mj23

OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2003
no matter how hard you try, plating macaroni and cheese is fucking impossible :o

no it's not. rest a couple pieces of skirt steak or cornish game hens against the mac/cheese and sprinkle around the rim of the plate with some paprika or cayenne pepper.

TS
TS
jshively

jshively

Sep 18, 2003
Indiana
no it's not. rest a couple pieces of skirt steak or cornish game hens against the mac/cheese and sprinkle around the rim of the plate with some paprika or cayenne pepper.

:wtc::wtc: Nothing was defrosted hence why I went with this dish. Well there was some red meat defrosted for beef strangahoff (sp) tommorrow night but not swiping that (to those of you who are concerned where the pork will be trust me it will make an appearance).

someonenew

He's Dangerous
Aug 27, 2002
Houston, Texas
not a fan of breadcrumbs on the mac and cheese

and now that you've got some, save it and tomorrow after you've gotten it nice and cold you can coat it in breadcrumbs and deep fry it:eek3::yum:

mj23

OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2003
:wtc::wtc: Nothing was defrosted hence why I went with this dish. Well there was some red meat defrosted for beef strangahoff (sp) tommorrow night but not swiping that (to those of you who are concerned where the pork will be trust me it will make an appearance).

:wavey: hey bro

TS
TS
jshively

jshively

Sep 18, 2003
Indiana
p.s. starting at the baconator to the belly to the tail to the roast to this I think my heart is officially going to give up.

TS
TS
jshively

jshively

Sep 18, 2003
Indiana
you'll never guess where I saw that for the first time...

Alton Brown:eek3:

For as much shit as I run about Food TV I like AB. I watch his show and always learn something new and cool. Now half his recipes I would never try because most of them are past dumbed down.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kassile