Elon Musk Trying To Back Out of Twitter Deal

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
It's based on your browsing habits and YouTube algorithm. I watch several hours of YouTube a day at work, literally 0 politics what so ever. It's not a conspiracy it's just showing you things it thinks you're interested in.

i was talking youtube shorts. not generic YT. not sure if the algos are different. my youtube viewing habits have exactly 0 pol in it. my suggested videos never even shows news stuff.

Mikel

HOT TASTE!
May 17, 2000
i was talking youtube shorts. not generic YT. not sure if the algos are different. my youtube viewing habits have exactly 0 pol in it. my suggested videos never even shows news stuff.
Mine is exclusively cars, cameras, and programming. I wonder how long it would take before AutoPlay starts showing me some @remmy shit?

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Mine is exclusively cars, cameras, and programming. I wonder how long it would take before AutoPlay starts showing me some @remmy shit?
go to shorts.

scroll thru a bunch. wait for a ben shap one or a tate one. watch it full length. it will fill your shorts feed with that kinda stuff

mistergin

Morale has improved but I find I miss the beatings
May 12, 2001
Mormons, AZ
this explains why fatmoocow has been missing

This whole thread is so fucking good 😆😆

Doesn't seem he's a React dev and it's not just a set of libraries..it scales in complexity really fast since it's grown so much since inception. State management on a legacy app that had huge paradigm shifts (classes, functional components, hooks, etc) over time.. Not something you jump into and save the day :rofl3:

Tech debt and spaghetti code make it exponentially more messy. He might fix the search only to drag down performance because memoization challenges weren't considered at some level and now you're in profiler hell trying to fix it without making it worse :rofl:

I'd you're a dev, that thread speaks to you more than any of the rubber necking threads.

memyselfandi

OT Supporter
Dec 18, 2008
America's Hat
go to shorts.

scroll thru a bunch. wait for a ben shap one or a tate one. watch it full length. it will fill your shorts feed with that kinda stuff
When my city was overrun by truckers for 3 weeks earlier this year I watched a few livestreams on YouTube as they walked around the camp. It took one day for my feed to be filled with conspiracy theories about Trudeau and the WEF plotting the great reset.

westheimer

OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
DC
not to that extreme.
I'm skeptical.

The algorithm is built to show you things you like. If you tell it you don't like anything but right wing content, that's what it will show you. The alternative is that YouTube programmers are specifically trying to push right wing media which seems farfetched tbh.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
I'm skeptical.

The algorithm is built to show you things you like. If you tell it you don't like anything but right wing content, that's what it will show you. The alternative is that YouTube programmers are specifically trying to push right wing media which seems farfetched tbh.

not to that extreme. it was prolly a bit of confirmation bias since they stuck out so much with their ridiculousness.

meyou

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
I'm skeptical.

It's just automation of "if it bleeds it leads". Things that are describing a threat are going to grab your attention the most for obvious reasons. Someone yelling that everyone is satanic baby blood drinking child grooming white genociding lazy leeches tickles the brain in a special way.

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
I'm skeptical.

I don't think the algos are directing people to specific right wing content or anything, it's just that extreme takes 'hook' people and get them to engage further, and there are a lot more extreme takes/channels/famous people on right/Q end of the spectrum than the opposite

westheimer

OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
DC
It's just automation of "if it bleeds it leads". Things that are describing a threat are going to grab your attention the most for obvious reasons. Someone yelling that everyone is satanic baby blood drinking child grooming white genociding lazy leeches tickles the brain in a special way.
I agree that it shouldn't be that way, like the system should probably deemphasize videos flagged as misinformation if not exclude them altogether.

But if you tell the algorithm that you're a tard it's gonna treat you like a tard.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
I don't think the algos are directing people to specific right wing content or anything, it's just that extreme takes 'hook' people and get them to engage further, and there are a lot more extreme takes/channels/famous people on right/Q end of the spectrum than the opposite

it was interesting in how much the feed filled with right wing content. it was stunning to see in real time just how quick the rabbit hole opens up.

westheimer

OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
DC
it was interesting in how much the feed filled with right wing content. it was stunning to see in real time just how quick the rabbit hole opens up.
It's probably also a reflection of how people with different beliefs use the platform differently.

Wouldn't really shock me if a conservative audience spends more time watching political videos and is just far less willing to venture beyond them. Like sure maybe you can get a David Pack viewer to watch some funny cat videos or general news clips. But you probably won't be as successful trying to steer some Alex Jones fanatic towards more benign content.

djnick

wannabe dj
OT Supporter
Aug 17, 2004
fresh coast.
This whole thread is so fucking good 😆😆

Doesn't seem he's a React dev and it's not just a set of libraries..it scales in complexity really fast since it's grown so much since inception. State management on a legacy app that had huge paradigm shifts (classes, functional components, hooks, etc) over time.. Not something you jump into and save the day :rofl3:

Tech debt and spaghetti code make it exponentially more messy. He might fix the search only to drag down performance because memoization challenges weren't considered at some level and now you're in profiler hell trying to fix it without making it worse :rofl:

I'd you're a dev, that thread speaks to you more than any of the rubber necking threads.

so wtf were 7500 twitter employees doing then if the code base is such a dumpster fire to begin with? Seems like everyone was coasting collecting a check

ghost.prawn

OT Supporter
May 11, 2006
822cdd91d9bb0813f9bc5b364965fb758d058695.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman