CAR Engine cleaning

Scottwax

Making detailing great again!
May 5, 2000
Home of the Texas Rangers
1. Make sure engine is warm, but not hot. Cold engines are harder to remove grease and oil from.

** Check the directions on the engine cleaner/degreaser you are using, though. Some specifically say to clean the engine when cold only. **

2. Cover your distibuter (if you do not know what or where it is, get a manual for your car), alternator and fuse box. Most electronics under your hood are adequately sealed for rain water splashing up on them, but high pressure water is another story.

3. Cut Simple Green 50/50 with water and spray liberally all over your engine and engine bay. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. If your engine is really dirty, then after the 5 minutes, spray it down again and wait an additional 5 minutes.

4. Spray the engine and engine bay with high pressure rinse water-but even though your distributer may be covered, still use lower pressure around it to be on the safe side.

5. Any remaining grime, spray again with 50/50 cut of Simple Green, and use a stiff brush if needed. Rinse again.

6. Remove the plastic coverings and start the engine. Let it run until it is dry. You will have to dry the painted surfaces in the engine bay and the underside of the hood with a towel.

7. Dress any hoses, etc you want with rubber/vinyl dressing.

BTW, this is my engine bay-and I hadn't cleaned it in a good 6 months when I took this pic:

engine_cleaning.jpg

Myself has one several car shows on my engine from using CD-2 cleaning products. I use CD-2 engine degreaser to clean it and a power washer. After it's all done and dry, I use CD-2 detailer spray. It's like the tire shine spray but for your engine. GREAT STUFF!!

Originally posted by martini
I'll clean my engine bay soon and post pics of it..

SickLife, I think you went just a little overboard with the wirelooms.

Yes - he did...

And it will be a LONG time before his bay looks that pretty again.

Later,
BH

Bankheist

Any recommendations if you have parts of your engine painted?

I have PPG and a ton of clear coat on many parts under the hood, any recommendations?

attachment.php

TS
TS
Scottwax

Scottwax

Making detailing great again!
May 5, 2000
Home of the Texas Rangers
Originally posted by Bankheist
Any recommendations if you have parts of your engine painted?

I have PPG and a ton of clear coat on many parts under the hood, any recommendations?

attachment.php

Definitely do not use regular engine degreasers, stick with Simple Green, and cut it 50/50 with water and test on a small area to be sure it won't bleach out the color.

TotalEclipse

Originally posted by stealmycar
avenger looked better stock. was probably faster too

nice ride VBGOD!

Noobs can not express opinions until AT LEAST 3 months into their stay. So, stfu.

* By the way, his avenger is turbo, I think it might be twin even.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec