CAR Engine/Firewall paint and care questions.

DaneMan

Oct 3, 2003
St. Louis, MO
This relates to my 2001 Dodge Dakota R/T. Been reading Scottwax's advice over the years so the exterior paint still looks great today :bigthumb:

However, I have a question relating to the Engine Bay/Firewall. Needless to say, the firewall portion of the paint (along with the underhood...I think) might be un-clearcoated or "single stage" The paint doesn't seem to have a certain gloss to it and almost seems "flat". As well, it seems as if certain areas also contain natural "hard deposit" coatings. In other words, even when I wash certain areas of the underhood/firewall...it seems as if this white "powder" or deposit remains....and it always seems to stay in every spot it originally was in. What is this and what is the cause of it?

As well, are there any tips on adding "gloss" to the firewall? A way I can test if the firewall is cleared or not? I think it possibly is, i'm unsure. I just sort of want my engine bay to have a "glossy shine" with the exterior paint as well (even though the bay is clean...just sort of bothers me).

Scottwax

Making detailing great again!
May 5, 2000
Home of the Texas Rangers
Use a white towel and some polish, rub it into the firewall and if the towel turns the color of the paint, it is single stage. The problem you will have to bring back the gloss is the lack of clearance.

TS
TS
DaneMan

DaneMan

Oct 3, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Use a white towel and some polish, rub it into the firewall and if the towel turns the color of the paint, it is single stage. The problem you will have to bring back the gloss is the lack of clearance.

What about this white deposit problem? Is it just "shit" in my tap water? It just seems odd it appears only under the hood in certain places for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan