Everything you want to know + Birth Control & Pregnancy Q's (a MUST read)

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Zemo, Apr 16, 2005.

1. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Doggy. As for what feels best? Different folks, different strokes...trial and error is half the fun!

2. Solus Emsu

Solus Emsu ****** U N R A T E D ! ****** -----THAT'S HOW I RO

Ok. I have a question.

Can a woman reach any kind of orgasm from anal? :dunno:
    If so, how and why? If not, can you come up with some whitty way I can make an excuse to keep trying for it?

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Absolutely!
    BTW, don't keep trying it if she isn't into it. Be respectful of your partner ;) Anal can be VERY painful.

4. Solus Emsu

Solus Emsu ****** U N R A T E D ! ****** -----THAT'S HOW I RO

Ok, that part about the excuse......That was a joke.

But you didn't answer my question........HOW???!?!?!?!1

5. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

:squint: Do you question why you have an orgasm?
    I don't know how honestly, but I don't really question it either.

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I was actually wondering how many women experience implantation bleeding?

7. [HRT]Squirrel Master

[HRT]Squirrel Master New Member

Backed up by my uncle.... an OBGYN

Can I have my period and still be pregnant?
    No, it is not possible to have a period and be pregnant. Every month during a woman's menstrual cycle, the uterus begins building up a lining made of tissue and blood. If a pregnancy begins, the fertilized egg implants in that lining. If pregnancy does not occur, the uterine lining of tissue and blood isn't needed, so it flows out of the uterus and vagina, and out of the body. This is the menstrual flow. Very rarely, pregnant women may experience some spotting that may seem like a period. Again, the only way to tell for sure is to take a pregnancy test.

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Of course it is not actually a period, but that is what it is commonly reffered to by women (or commonly mistaken as a period).
    25% of all women experience some type of bleeding during the first trimester.
    http://www.pregnancy-info.net/spotting_bleeding_during_pregnancy.html
    Bleeding During Pregnancy

There are many different reasons that a woman may have vaginal bleeding during pregnancy. Some women can continue to have light periods or spotting during pregnancy, especially during the first few months. A pregnancy test would probably help to ease your mind. A visit to your practitioner may also be in order, either for early pregnancy care or to find out the reasons for your symptoms. Here is a comprehensive list of the many possible causes.
    Early Pregnancy and Implantation Bleeding
    Are you experiencing first trimester bleeding? It's estimated that 25% of all women have bleeding in early pregnancy. One possible cause of this bleeding is implantation bleeding.
    What is Implantation Bleeding?
    Implantation bleeding is lighter than menstrual bleeding, and consists of pink or brown colored blood. Implantation bleeding occurs when the trophoblast, or tissue that surrounds the egg, attaches to the endometrium and slowly eats its way into the lining. As it does so, it eats through the mother's blood vessels, forming blood lakes within itself. When these blood lakes form near the surface of the trophoblast, they often cause implantation bleeding.
    Remember, the difference between period and implantation bleeding is the amount; implantation bleeding is considerably lighter than menstrual bleeding. Menses and implantation bleeding should be different enough so that you can tell. Here are some frequently asked questions about spotting:
    • When does implantation bleeding occur?
      Usually 5-12 days after ovulation, so just around the time that you would be getting your period. Bleeding during ovulation is something different.

What does implantation bleeding look like?
      Implantation bleeding signs are a light pink or brown colored spotting.

How long does implantation bleeding last?
      The duration varies for each woman.
    Miscarriage
    Bleeding while pregnant doesn't mean that miscarriage is certain, but it can occur. About half of the women who bleed do not have miscarriages. Miscarriage can occur at any time during the first half of pregnancy. Most occur during the first 12 weeks. Miscarriage occurs in about 15 to 20 percent of pregnancies. If you think you have passed fetal tissue, take it to the doctor's office so it can be examined. Most miscarriages cannot be prevented. They are often the body's way of dealing with a pregnancy that was not normal. There is no proof that exercise or sex causes miscarriage.
    Ectopic Pregnancy
    Another problem that may cause pain and bleeding in early pregnancy is ectopic pregnancy. If pregnancy occurs in a fallopian tube, it may burst. Ectopic pregnancies are much less common than miscarriages. They occur in about one in 60 pregnancies.
    Molar Pregnancy
    A rare cause of early bleeding is molar pregnancy. It is also called gestational trophoblastic disease (GTD) or simply a "mole." It is the growth of abnormal tissue instead of an embryo.
    Late Pregnancy
    The causes of bleeding in the second half of pregnancy differ from those in early pregnancy. Common conditions that cause minor bleeding include an inflamed cervix or growths on the cervix.
    Placental Abruption
    The placenta may detach from the uterine wall before or during labor. This may cause vaginal bleeding. Only 1 percent of pregnant women have experience placental abruption. It usually occurs during the last 12 weeks of pregnancy. Stomach pain often occurs, even if there is no obvious bleeding.
    Placenta Previa
    When the placenta lies low in the uterus, it may partly or completely cover the cervix. This is called placenta previa. It may cause vaginal bleeding. Placenta previa is serious and requires prompt care.
    Labor
    Late in pregnancy, vaginal bleeding may be a sign of labor. A plug that covers the opening of the uterus during pregnancy is passed just before or at the start of labor. A small amount of mucus and blood is passed from the cervix. This is called "bloody show." It is common. It is not a problem if it happens within a few weeks of your due date.

9. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I just wanted to add this article about birth control pills, especially with regards to skipping the sugar pills to skip a period.
    http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35326/351282.html?d=dmtHMSContent&k=wellx8124x35326
    </H2>

10. Bella

Bella New Member

Hell yes!!! I've noticed it's like a power criple orgasm too. It's only happened to me once but you cant really describe how to anyone. It just happens with some and doesnt with others. Either way it's one of those things that you and her are going to have to work at it, I wouldn't think you get it the first time. As far as a excuse ifyou want it that bad you'll figure out a way. I was told by a girlfriend how great it was for her and I asked my SO if he was interested and he jumped for it. But like I said it took me about 4 times for me to get that Big O and it was a differnt O than going vag

11. Cherry Red

Cherry Red OT Supporter

you should add in that if a woman keeps herself to clean she can get Bactireal Vaginosis and that can cause grey discharge and a fishy smell.
    It's basically like a yeast infection.

12. mazdadrvr

mazdadrvr New Member

Average girth of penis?

13. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Everything you never wanted to know about birth control

So there seems to be a lot of interest in birth control and a lot of threads about birth control, so it was suggested that a thread be made. If I happen to miss something, let me know or post in here!

Disclaimer: As with all medical things, CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!

How effective is birth control? (chart doesn't copy over correctly so you're going to have to click the link.)http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/1997/conceptbl.html

What different kinds of birth control are there? What are the pros and cons of each kind?
    I have included the "typical use rate of pregnancy" also, taken off of the FDA chart.
    Male Sterilization .15%
    http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/FAQs/male_steril_faq.htm

What is male sterilization (vasectomy)?
    A vasectomy is a minor surgical procedure that permanently ends fertility in men.​
    How does it work? (mechanism of action)
    Vasectomy interrupts the vas deferens, preventing the sperm from entering the semen, so that semen is ejaculated without sperm.​
    Who can use male sterilization?

• Any men (couples) who are certain they do not want or cannot have more children and desire permanent protection from pregnancy.
    • There is no reason to deny sterilization to any man. Men with certain conditions should have the sterilization procedure delayed until the condition is resolved.
    (For more information, see WHO eligibility criteria.)

Advantages

• Highly effective, but not 100%
    • Permanent
    • Has no systemic side effects
    • Does not interfere with intercourse
    • Easy to use
    • Less surgical risk/expense than female sterilization
    Disadvantages

• Chance of regret
    • Risks and side effects of minor surgery
    • Delayed effectiveness
    • No protection from STIs/HIV
    Note: In the early 1990s, some researchers were concerned that vasectomy might increase the risk for prostate cancer, but the evidence was considered inconclusive. More recent research has shown no increased risk of prostate cancer after vasectomy.

Possible side effects:

• Some pain and discomfort during and right after the procedure
    • Complications associated with the procedure itself are rare
    Follow-up:

• Observation for an hour after the procedure
    • Any time soon after the procedure if signs of complications are present
    Counseling
    Time to effectiveness should be discussed:
    • Vasectomy is NOT immediately effective because it takes a while for the vas deferens to become completely clear of sperm. Where semen analysis is available, men should ask for a test to make sure the operation was successful. Usually the doctor will recommend the test about 12 weeks after surgery. Where semen analysis is not available, men should wait 12 weeks before relying on their vasectomy.
    • Abstinence or a back-up method, such as a condom, should be used in the meantime, or a man's partner should continue using the method she relied on before the vasectomy.
    Given the permanent nature of this procedure, thorough counseling is very important. Clients most likely to regret sterilization can be identified through counseling. The possibility of failure should also be discussed. Although vasectomy is highly effective, some studies--especially those in low-resource settings--have found pregnancy rates as high as 1% to 2% in the first year after the procedure.

Client characteristics associated with regret:

• Under age 30
    • Single or recently married
    • No male children
    • Client pressured into decision
    • Partner opposed to decision
    • Limited access to other methods
    Female Sterilization .5%
    http://www.engenderhealth.org/wh/fp/cfem1.html
    Is Female Sterilization the Right Method for Me?[​IMG]There are a number of factors you should consider before deciding whether female sterilization is the right contraceptive method for you. As with any method of contraception, you should first talk to your health care provider or a counselor at your local clinic or hospital before seriously considering female sterilization. This is particularly important for both male and female sterilization, since the effects are meant to be permanent.
    Female sterilization may be an appropriate method for you
    If any of the following is true:
    • You and your partner have all the children you ever want to have.
    • You and your partner do not want to have children and you cannot or do not want to use temporary methods of family planning.
    • You want a permanent, one-time method.
    • You have health problems that may make pregnancy unsafe.
    • You know you do not want any more children, and you do not want to face the possibility of needing an abortion if your temporary method fails.
    • You want to enjoy sex without fear of unintended pregnancy.
    Female sterilization may not be an appropriate method for you
    • You are at risk of exposure to or transmission of sexually transmitted infections, including HIV infection. Female sterilization does not provide protection against these infections. Aside from abstinence, male and female condoms provide the best protection against these infections.
    • You are very young.
    • You have few or no children.
    • You feel you are being pressured by your partner, a relative, a family planning counselor, or health care provider.
    • Your marriage or relationship with your partner is unstable.
    • You think sterilization may help solve an emotional, marital, financial, or sexual problem.
    • You are temporarily involved in a stressful situation.
    • You have unresolved doubts about sterilization.
    • You think there's a chance you would want to have a child if your circumstances were to change (for example, if your current relationship ended and your new partner wanted to have children, if one or more of your children died, or if your income suddenly improved a great deal).
    • You are considering the operation because you are having a difficult pregnancy.
    • Your partner does not think you should have the operation.
    • You are considering the operation just to please your partner.
    • You think sterilization reversal is a possibility for you—in case you change your mind after the operation.
    • You have conditions that pose health risks for elective surgery, such as heart disease, uncontrolled diabetes, severe anemia, or bleeding disorders. These conditions should be treated or managed before sterilization is performed.
    • You have just had problems during childbirth or complications during an abortion.
    Female sterilization is not an appropriate method for you
    • You feel that you have not been fully informed about female sterilization.
    • You want to have more children.
    • You are pregnant or strongly suspect you are pregnant.
    • You have a vaginal, cervical, or pelvic infection. The infection should be treated and the operation delayed until it has been cured.
    For more information about this method, see Female Sterilization: Questions & Answers.

Implant (Norplant) .09%
    http://www.epigee.org/guide/norplant.html

This progestin only contraceptive is actually an implant that is worn for up to five years. Availability of this hormonal birth control varies according to where you live. In the United States, Norplant is no longer available.
    How it Works
    Norplant is made up of six tiny silicone rods that contain progestin. These rods are implanted under the skin of your upper arm where they are left for as long as five years. The implant procedure can be done in the doctors office and takes about 10 minutes.
    Norplant becomes effective within 24 hours of implantation. While you have the implants, progestin is slowly released into your body. The progestin works to thicken your cervical mucus thereby creating a barrier for sperm. It may also suppress your ovulation as well as thin the lining of your uterus, which will hinder the implantation of a fertilized egg.
    Although some insurance policies will cover cost of the implants, few will cover the cost to remove them. Additionally, the removal of the implants is more costly, more time consuming and can cause scarring. Yet, because of the multitude of side effects associated with Norplant, about half of all users choose not to wait for the five years to be up and remove their implants before the three year mark.
    Benefits of Norplant
    Norplant offers continuous protection against pregnancy for as much as five years. Women who are breastfeeding can safely use Norplant.
    Side Effects and Complications
    While the side effects of Norplant are generally the same as other types of hormonal contraceptives, more women experience them more frequently and to a greater degree with Norplant. Side effects include: Menstrual disturbances and irregularities, Headaches/migraines, Increase in acne, Weight gain, Nausea, Anxiety, Unwanted hair growth or loss, Ovarian cycsts
    Use of Norplant also increases a woman’s risk of etopic pregnancy, a condition which requires immediate medical attention as it can be fatal if not properly treated.

Effectiveness
    When Norplant was first introduced in 1990, it was seen as a break through in birth control. It was reported to be as effective as sterilization except, of course, Norplant could be reversed. In general, though, Norplant’s efficiency does seem to be affected by who is using it. Teenagers, women who are overweight as well as women who have hard capsules rather than soft ones are more likely to have Norplant fail for them.
    Norplant is no longer available in many countries, including the United States, due to the severity of side effects experienced by some women. Women who currently have Norplant implants may continue to use this form of birth control but will need to use a different form of contraception once the implants are removed.
    Noted Norplant Side EffectsSide EffectApproximate Number of Users AffectedMenstrual Cycle Disturbances4 in 5Headaches/Migraines1 in 6Enlarged Ovaries1 in 12Dizziness1 in 14Tender Breasts1 in 15Nervousness1 in 15Nausea1 in 15Acne1 in 17Skin Inflammation1 in 17Weight Gain1 in 18Breast Discharge1 in 24Increased Hair Growth or Loss1 in 50Visit Contraception Information Resource to learn more about Norplant

Hormone Shot (Depo Provera) .3%
    http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/bcdepo.htm
    What is the 3-month Depo-Provera shot?
    Depo Provera is a hormone injection that lasts for 3 months to prevent pregnancy. The injection contains synthetic progesterone and no estrogen. It is usually given in the arm or rear, delivering a high level of progesterone into the body. Depo Provera stops the ovaries from releasing eggs. Depo Provera causes the cervical mucus to thicken and changes the uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to enter or survive in the uterus. These changes prevent fertilization. Depo Provera is a very private form of birth control because it cannot be seen on the body and requires no home supplies. It does, however, require a clinic appointment every 3 months. Depo Provera is 97-99.7% effective as birth control. It does not protect against reproductive tract infections, including HIV/AIDS. There are some serious health risks with Depo Provera, so be sure to get all the facts in advance.
    Future FertilityGoing Off DepoAdvantagesDisadvantages
    Prevent CoercionFurther ReferencesPDF Version
    Use
    The first shot of Depo Provera is usually given during or a few days after the start of a menstrual period. After 24 hours, the shot is effective birth control for the next 13 weeks. Many women find it useful to schedule their next shot slightly earlier than necessary; if something prevents them from making their appointment, there will be a window of opportunity to receive their next shot.
    If you are more than a week late for your shot, use a backup method of birth control for the next two weeks. If you are more than a week late and you have had unprotected sex since your last shot, consider taking a pregnancy test before receiving the next dose.

Your Health

Due to the risk of serious health problems, women with the following conditions should not use Depo Provera.
    • Unexplained vaginal bleeding
    • Known or suspected pregnancy
    Depo Provera may not be recommended for women who are planning on becoming pregnant in the near future, are concerned about weight gain, have liver disease, gallbladder disease, or a history of depression. Study the risks and talk with your health care practitioner.

Health Risks:
    Studies released in 2004 show that Depo Provera is associated with a loss of bone density resulting in an increased risk of osteoporosis. The bone loss appears not to be reversed when the woman goes off Depo Provera. Depo is not recommended for long term use and especially not recommended when the young woman is still growing her bones. Women on Depo are advised to exercise and take in plenty of calcium. If you have taken Depo Provera for more than two years, you might want to get a bone density test. (see article on Building Healthy Bones and factsheet on calcium-containing foods )
    Some women have allergic reactions to Depo Provera.
    If a woman becomes pregnant while using Depo Provera, and continues her pregnancy, there may be an increased risk of premature birth.
    The effects of Depo Provera on breast cancer are still unknown.

Health Benefits:
    Women on Depo Provera have a decreased risk of endometrial cancer, ovarian cancer, and pelvic inflammatory disease. You may have less menstrual cramping and pain, fewer periods, and less chance of anemia.

Side Effects

70% of women using Depo Provera gain weight. Almost half of the women using Depo Provera gain more than 5 pounds after one year of use. Many women gain more than 10 pounds.
    Irregular, heavy, or no bleeding are common side effects of Depo Provera. After a year of use, many women stop having periods. Lack of a period becomes increasingly common with longer use.
    Other side effects of Depo Provera can include headaches, nervousness, mood changes, bloating, hot flashes, decreased interest in sex, breast tenderness, acne, hair loss, and back ache.
    After the last shot of Depo Provera, it can take over 6 months for the drug to leave the body. Side effects may linger until the drug is completely gone.

Drug Interactions

Few medications lower the effectiveness of Depo Provera. Women with Cushing's syndrome may take medications that interfere with Depo Provera. If you are taking any medications, tell your clinician. When taking medications that may interfere with Depo Provera, consider adding a backup method of birth control, like condoms or spermicide. As with all drugs, it is useful to inform all your medical providers if you are taking Depo Provera.

Advantages
    • Private.
    • Effective after 24 hours.
    • Does not require regular attention.
    • Does not interrupt sex play.
    • Has no estrogen.
    • May decrease risk for ovarian and uterine cancers.
    • Women can start Depo Provera 6 weeks after giving birth.
    Disadvantages
    • Causes loss of bone density and risk of osteoporosis.
    • Does not protect against sexually transmitted infections, including HIV/AIDS.
    • Requires injections every 3 months.
    • Delay of return to fertility.
    • Irregular bleeding.
    • Most women experience weight gain
    Future Fertility
    Women who want to become pregnant may stop using Depo Provera at any time. For some women, fertility returns immediately. For others, it may take 6-18 months or longer for the body's hormone cycle to go back to normal.
    Going Off Depo
    The book Contraceptive Technology says: "It is not possible to discontinue Depo Provera immediately. Weight gain, depression, breast tenderness, allergic reactions, and menstrual irregularities may continue until Depo Provera is cleared from a woman's body, about 6 to 8 months after her last injection. After discontinuing Depo Provera, women may also have a 6 to 12 month delay in return of fertility."
    You might try cleansing techniques to detox or eliminate the synthetic hormone from where it is stored in your body's tissues: drink lots of water every day, eat lots of fresh raw organic vegetables, drink raw vegetable juice, sweat in a steam room or sauna, get lots of exercise and fresh air. You can also ask at a health food store about herbal formulas or teas that help detoxify your body or that balance female hormones, or talk with a naturopathic physician or herbalist.
    IF you decide to switch from Depo Provera to another hormonal method like the birth control pill, the vaginal ring, or the contraceptive patch, it is recommended that you start your new method on the date the next injection is due. Use a back-up method of contraception such as male condoms, female condoms, or abstinence for the first seven days of pill use.

Prevent Coercion

There is no antidote to the Depo Provera shot. Women who are given Depo Provera should be well informed about the drug and know that there are other options for birth control. In this country and in other countries, women have been pressured into taking Depo Provera without knowing what it was. Know your options.

Combined Pill (estrogen/Progestin) 5%
    http://www.contraception.net/resource_centre/combined_pill.asp
    What is the Combined Pill?
    There are basically two types of OCs - the combined oral contraceptive pill which contains both estrogen and progestin, and the mini-pill which contains progestin alone. The combined pill is the most commonly prescribed oral contraceptive. Most combined OCs come in 21-pill and 28-pill packages. The 28-pill pack usually contains 21 tablets that contain hormones and 7 tablets, which may contain no hormones called placebos. These pills serve as a reminder to take your pill everyday. Nowadays, OCs with different pill-taking regimens are available as well. These 28-day packs contain less placebo pills which might offer a benefit to you.

OCs contain two hormones estrogen and progestin, which have a similar effect to the hormones found in your own body. Taken daily, these hormones in the pill prevent your ovaries from releasing eggs (ovulation). Pregnancy will be prevented since there are no eggs to fertilize. The pill also causes changes in the lining of the uterus and the mucus of the cervix which further discourages pregnancy. Since each woman reacts differently to hormones, it may take some time to find the pill that is right for you.
    Are there side effects?

Side effects from combined OCs are usually due to the amount of estrogen that the pill contains. Today's low-estrogen oral contraceptives are designed to lessen side effects associated with higher-estrogen formulas. When side effects do occur, they usually disappear after the first 1-3 cycles of pill use. Possible side effects include:
    • breakthrough bleeding
    • breast tenderness
    • headaches
    • nausea
    • changes in weight
    Are there any benefits?
    • more regular periods
    • less bleeding and pain
    • positive effects on the skin (acne)
    Minipill (progestin only) 5%
    http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/minipill.htm
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mini-Pills[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    (Progesterone-Only Oral Contraceptives)
    [/FONT]

What are Mini-Pills?
    Mini-Pills are progesterone-only birth control pills. Mini-Pills come in packs of 28 pills and you take one every day. They contain a synthetic form of the progesterone hormone and no estrogen. The Mini-Pill affects the mucus around the cervix and makes it harder for sperm to enter the uterus. It also affects the transport of the egg through the fallopian tubes. In these ways, the Mini-Pill prevents fertilization. Mini-Pills are 87-99.7% effective, slightly less than regular birth control pills. They do not protect against reproductive tract infections, including HIV/AIDS.
    Missed PillsFuture FertilityAdvantages
    DisadvantagesFurther ReferencesPDF Version
    Use
    There are hormones in each Mini-Pill; there are no spacer pills. It is important to take a pill every day, preferably at the same time each day. Forgetting a Mini-Pill or taking it late increases the chance of pregnancy more than missing a regular birth control pill.
    You can improve the effectiveness of Mini-Pills by adding a backup method, like condoms or spermicide. This is most important during the first three months and days 8-18 of your menstrual cycle after the first three months.

Starting Mini-Pills:
    Take the first pill on the first day of your period. Take one pill daily, at the same time of day, even during your period.

After the First Pack:
    As soon as you finish one pack, begin the next one. Start your next pack even if you are still bleeding or have not started your period. Continue taking one pill every day.

If you have problems with the Mini-Pill, call the clinic. DO NOT stop taking the Mini-Pills unless you want to get pregnant or can use another method of birth control.

Your Health

Every woman is different and Mini-Pills are not recommended for all women. Due to the risk of serious health problems, women with the following conditions should not use Mini-Pills:
    • Unexplained vaginal bleeding
    • Known or suspected pregnancy
    • Breast Cancer
    Mini-Pills may not be recommended for women who are concerned with weight gain, have liver disease, gallbladder disease, heart disease, diabetes, or a history of depression.

Health Risks:
    Mini-Pills increase the risk of having functional ovarian cysts. They also very slightly increase the risk of ectopic pregnancy. An ectopic pregnancy occurs when a fertilized egg attaches and grows outside the uterus. This can be very dangerous and requires emergency medical attention. To protect your health, watch out for the Mini-Pill's danger signs.

Benefits:
    Women on Mini-Pills have a decreased risk of endometrial cancer and pelvic inflammatory disease. You may have less menstrual cramping and pain, fewer periods, and less chance of anemia.

Side Effects

The most common side effect for women using Mini-Pills is irregular bleeding. While many women on Mini-Pills have normal periods, others may have irregular periods, spotting between periods or no periods at all. If you do not bleed for 60 days, call the clinic to arrange for a pregnancy test but continue taking your pills.
    Other possible side effects of the Mini-Pill are mood changes, headaches, and lowered sex drive.
    Some of the typical side effects of regular birth control pills, such as nausea, and breast tenderness, usually do not occur with Mini-Pills.
    Drug Interactions
    The effectiveness of Mini-Pills is lowered when taken with certain medications. These drugs include rifampin and anti-seizure medications. If you are taking any medications, tell your clinician. When taking medications that may interfere with Mini-Pills, consider adding a backup method of birth control, like condoms and spermicide. As with all drugs, it is useful to inform all your medical providers if you are using hormonal birth control.

Danger Signs

Women who experience any of the following symptoms while taking Mini-Pills should call the clinic immediately:
    • Abdominal pains (severe)
    • Chest pain or shortness of breath
    • Headaches (severe)
    • Eye problems, such as blurred vision
    • Severe leg or arm pain or numbness
    Missed Pills
    3 or more hours late: Take a pill as soon as your remember. Use a backup method for 48 hours.
    1 pill missed: Take a pill as soon as you remember and take the next one at the usual time. This may mean taking two pills in one day. If you only miss one pill and make it up, you probably will not get pregnant. Use a backup method for 2 weeks.
    2 pills missed: Take 2 pills each day for the next 2 days. Use a backup method for 2 weeks. You may have some spotting or bleeding. If the bleeding is like a period, call the clinic.
    3 or more pills missed: Use a backup method and call the clinic for instructions.
    NEVER TAKE MORE THAN 2 PILLS IN 1 DAY.

Future Fertility

Women who want to become pregnant may stop using Mini-Pills at any time. Fertility may return immediately or after a few months.
    Advantages
    • Avoids typical side effects of regular birth control pills.
    • Has no estrogen.
    • Easy to use.
    • Does not harm future fertility.
    • Does not interrupt sex play.
    Disadvantages
    • Does not protect against sexually transmitted infections, including HIV/AIDS.
    • Must be taken every day at the same time.
    • Less effective when taken with some drugs.
    • Increased risk of functional ovarian cysts.
    • Increased risk of ectopic pregnancy.
    • May cause irregular bleeding.
    • Requires a prescription.
    Copper T IUD .8%
    http://www.fpahealth.org.au/sex-matters/factsheets/26.html
    The Copper IUD

Date 30 July 2006

WHAT IS A COPPER IUD?

A Copper IUD is a small plastic device which has copper wire wrapped around its stem. For the rest of this information, we will mean the Copper IUD when we talk about the IUD. It is placed inside the uterus (womb) to prevent pregnancy. The IUD has a fine nylon string attached to it. When the IUD is in place, the string comes out through the cervix (the neck of the uterus) into the far end of the vagina. If you feel high up inside your vagina with your finger, you can check that the string is there and know the IUD is still in place. The string also makes it easy for a doctor to remove the IUD.
    HOW DOES THE IUD WORK?

Although the IUD has been available for more than 30 years it is not fully understood how it works. We know that it stops the sperm from moving freely and surviving in the womb, so they cannot get to the egg to fertilise it. We also know that the IUD and the copper released from the wire around its stem cause changes in the lining of the womb so that an egg cannot grow in it, even if the egg is fertilised.
    WHO CAN USE AN IUD?

You should be able to use an IUD if:
    • you have had a baby
    • you want to have a space of two or more years between pregnancies
    • after having your children, you want a reliable method of contraception that can be removed easily
    • none of the things listed under When You Should Not Use An IUD, apply to you.
    WHEN YOU SHOULD NOT USE AN IUD

You should not use an IUD if:
    • you have more than one sexual partner
    • you have a partner who has other partners
    • you have recently changed sexual partners
    • you have a vaginal or pelvic infection (PID, infection in the tubes)
    • you have had more than one pelvic infection in the past
    • you could be pregnant
    • you have abnormal bleeding from your vagina
    • you have an abnormal Pap test which is being investigated
    • you have any signs of genital cancer.
    WHEN YOU SHOULD THINK SERIOUSLY BEFORE CHOOSING AN IUD

If any of these things apply to you, it is best to talk them over with your doctor before deciding to use an IUD.
    • You have not had children but want to have children in the future.
    • You have painful or long-lasting periods.
    • You have had an ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy in the tube).
    • You are anaemic (not enough iron in your blood).
    • You have a medical condition that makes it very risky for you to have an internal infection, e.g. rheumatic heart disease, or treatment with steroids or other drugs that stop your immune system from working properly.
    • You have fibroids or other conditions that change the shape of you uterus or cervix.
    BENEFITS WITH USING AN IUD

The IUD is 95-98% effective. It is more reliable as the Pill, which is 96% effective in general use.

You can't forget to use an as IUD - it is always in place. The IUD can stay in place and protect against pregnancy for at least five years.

Although the initial cost of an IUD is more than for other methods, as it lasts for several years it is comparatively inexpensive.
    POSSIBLE PROBLEMS WITH USING AN IUD
    • There is a slightly higher risk of having an ectopic pregnancy, though this is still very low.
    • There is more chance of getting a pelvic infection. If a woman has a pelvic infection she has increased risk of infertility (she may not be able to have children).
    • Your periods may be heavier and more painful.
    • The IUD may be pushed out of the uterus into the vagina and can even fall out e.g. when you go to the toilet, without you noticing. This can leave you at risk of getting pregnant (this is why you need to check for the string regularly). However if it is going to come out, it is more likely during the first few weeks after insertion.
    • Very rarely an IUD can pass into the wall of the uterus, and even more rarely through the wall of the uterus into the abdominal cavity, during insertion.
    • Occasionally a woman becomes pregnant with the IUD in place. If the IUD is then removed there is about a 30% chance of miscarriage. If it is not removed, the risk of infection during the pregnancy is higher and there is a risk of miscarriage in the last 12 weeks of the pregnancy. The IUD does not cause abnormalities in the baby however, even when it has been left in place for the whole of the pregnancy.
    • Talk to a doctor about all these things if you are considering using an IUD.
    HOW DO YOU GET AN IUD?

You need to go to a doctor for an IUD. Usually you are asked to make two visits. On the first visit the doctor will ask you questions about your general and reproductive health. You will need to have a vaginal/pelvic examination, a Pap test and possibly a test for vaginal infection, to make sure it is safe for you to have an IUD.

On the second visit you will have the IUD inserted. You may be given a muscle relaxant or a local anaesthetic before the IUD is inserted, but this is not always needed. In rare cases a general anaesthetic may be necessary. Your doctor will explain the procedure to you. It takes about 10 minutes and is not usually painful though some women find it a little uncomfortable. You may feel faint during or after the insertion and you will probably need to rest for a while before you leave the clinic.
    WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER AN IUD INSERTION

You may have period-like cramps and bleeding or spotting in the first few days after the IUD is inserted. Take aspirin or paracetemol, and hold a hot water bottle on your stomach to relieve any discomfort. If cramps, spotting or pain last more than a few days, see your doctor. You should avoid vaginal sex for two to three days to reduce the risk of infection. You will need to go back to the doctor for a check-up six weeks after the IUD insertion. After that you will need a check up every two years with your normal Pap test check.
    HOW IS THE IUD REMOVED?

The IUD can stay in place for five to ten years depending on the type. If you want to get pregnant or if you decide that you do not want to have the IUD for other reasons, it can be removed earlier. You will be given another vaginal/pelvic examination. Then the doctor will use a special instrument to remove the IUD by gently pulling on the string that can be seen coming through the cervix. This only takes a couple of minutes. Some women find it a little uncomfortable but most women don't feel much at all.
    THINGS TO REMEMBER IF YOU DECIDE TO USE AN IUD
    • Learn to check the string each month after your period to make sure the IUD is still in the right place.
    • If you have any unusual symptoms e.g. discharge from your vagina or pain low in your abdomen, that could be PID, see your doctor straight away.
    • If your period is more than a week overdue, see your doctor or clinic for a pregnancy test.
    • If you or your partner ever have casual sex, of if you have a new sexual partner, use a condom every time until you both have been checked for sexually transmissible infections (STIs).
    Download more info copperiud018.pdf (Adobe PDF File)
    [ Get Adobe PDF Reader here ]

For further information
    • Contact the FPA Healthline on 1300 658 886.
    Progesterone T IUD 2%
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/preventingpregnancy/iud.html
    What is an intrauterine device?

A intrauterine device is a T-shaped piece of plastic placed inside the uterus. The piece of plastic contains copper or a synthetic progesterone hormone that prevents pregnancy.
    How do intrauterine devices work?

The progesterone intrauterine device releases a constant low dose of a synthetic hormone continually throughout the day. Both the progesterone IUD and copper IUD prevent pregnancy in one of two ways:
    • <LI class=closebullets>The released progesterone or copper creates changes in the cervical mucus and inside the uterus that kills sperm or makes them immobile.
    • Changes the lining of the uterus, preventing implantation should fertilization occur. Ethical Consideration.
    How do you use an intrauterine device?

Your healthcare provider will perform a pelvic exam, Pap test,and possibly cultures for STD's prior to inserting the intrauterine device. The intrauterine device is placed through the vagina and cervix, into the uterus by your healthcare provider.
    A follow-up visit is scheduled two to three months after the system is inserted. Unless there are problems, or it is time for your annual exam, there is no need to visit the physician until it is removed. IUDs may remain in place from five to ten years, depending on the type.
    You are encouraged to check for the string following each menstruation to confirm that the IUD is still in place. Do not pull on the string.
    How effective is an intrauterine device?

The intrauterine system possesses a failure rate of less than 1%. This means that fewer than one out of every 100 IUD users will become pregnant during the first year of use. You should take a pregnancy test if you are experiencing any pregnancy symptoms.
    What are the side effects or health risks of intrauterine devices?

There are various side effects, health risks and precautions that you should know when considering an intrauterine device as your form of birth control.
    An IUD should NOT be used by women who:
    • <LI class=closebullets>Have or ever had cancer in the uterus or cervix <LI class=closebullets>Have unexplained vaginal bleeding <LI class=closebullets>May be pregnant <LI class=closebullets>Have pelvic inflammatory disease <LI class=closebullets>Have a history of ectopic pregnancy <LI class=closebullets>Have Gonorrhea or Chlamydia.
    • Are not in a mutually monogamous relationship
    Potential side effects from using an IUD include:
    • <LI class=closebullets>Mood changes <LI class=closebullets>Acne <LI class=closebullets>Headaches <LI class=closebullets>Breast tenderness <LI class=closebullets>Pelvic pain <LI class=closebullets>Cramping (copper IUD) <LI class=closebullets>Increased bleeding during menstruation (copper IUD)
    • Nausea
    There is an increased risk of pelvic infections, particularly for women who have more than one sexual partner.
    Are intrauterine devices reversible?:

Yes. Once an intrauterine device is removed, your ability to get pregnant returns rapidly. It is possible to get pregnant as early as a month after the intrauterine device is removed.
    How much does a intrauterine device cost?

There are three fees associated with the use of an intrauterine device: the health care providers visit, the intrauterine device, and a three month follow-up visit. The total cost should range from $175 to $400, depending on the cost of the physician's visit.
    What about a intrauterine device and sexually transmitted diseases (STD's)?

The intrauterine system does NOT provide protection against the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases.
    What are the pros & cons of an intrauterine device?
    • <LI class=closebullets>The Pros of an Intrauterine Device include:
      • <LI class=closebullets>Convenient and highly effective <LI class=closebullets>Allows for sexual spontaneity <LI class=closebullets>Easy - you do not have to do anything once it is placed inside <LI class=closebullets>Lasts up to 5 years (progesterone IUD) and 10 years (copper IUD) <LI class=closebullets>Progesterone-based IUDs may make your period lighter and less painful
      • Effects are reversible promptly after IUD is removed
      <LI class=closebullets>The Cons of an Intrauterine Device include:
      • <LI class=closebullets>Available only through a prescription <LI class=closebullets>Irregular bleeding or spotting may occur during the first three to six months
      • Copper IUD may increase cramps and bleeding during monthly periods
      • May have hormonal side effects: mood changes, acne, headache, breast tenderness, and nausea (progesterone IUD)
    More to come in second post, as I'm not sure how much OT will accept in one post :bigthumb:

14. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Male Latex Condom 14%
    also covers Female Condom 21%
    http://www.siecus.org/pubs/fact/fact0011.html
    The Truth about Condoms

Condoms are a barrier method of contraception that, when used consistently and correctly, can prevent pregnancy by blocking the passage of semen into the vaginal canal. Condoms can also prevent the exchange of blood, semen, and vaginal secretions, which are the primary routes of STD transmission.
    In recent years, as a result of misinformation and insufficient research, the efficacy of condoms, especially in terms of STD prevention, has been debated in many forums. Research continues to show that condoms are one of the best methods of preventing unwanted pregnancy and are one of the only methods for sexually active individuals to protect themselves against STDs, including HIV.
    This updated Fact Sheet includes information on both the male and female condom; on their effectiveness in protecting against unplanned pregnancies and STDs, including HIV; and on condom breakage and slippage, regulations and tests, and consistent and correct use.

This Fact Sheet is designed to provide the most recent information about condoms and to clear up confusion and misunderstandings.
    MALE CONDOM

The male condom is a barrier method of contraception that is placed over the glans and shaft of the penis. Male condoms are available in latex, lambskin, and polyurethane.
    Condoms manufactured from latex are the most popular, and studies conducted on the ability of condoms to prevent the transmission of STDs and HIV most often involve latex condoms. Condoms manufactured from lambskin, also known as "natural skin," or "natural membrane," are made from the intestinal lining of lambs. While these condoms can prevent pregnancy, they contain small pores that may permit passage of some STDs, including HIV, the hepatitis B virus, and the herpes simplex virus.1 Condoms manufactured from polyurethane are thinner and stronger than latex condoms, provide a less constricting fit, are more resistant to deterioration, and may enhance sensitivity.2 Polyurethane condoms are also recommended for those who have latex allergies. Polyurethane condoms have not been studied for their effectiveness in the prevention of STD transmission.3 In addition, condoms made of polyurethane are compatible with oil-based lubricants, unlike latex condoms which must be used with water-based lubricants.4
    PREGNANCY PREVENTION

Studies have shown that condoms are one of the most reliable methods for preventing unwanted pregnancy. In addition to being effective, condoms are also inexpensive and are available without a prescription.
    Facts in Brief
    • Condoms are 98 percent effective in preventing pregnancy when used consistently and correctly.5
    • The first-year effectiveness rate in preventing pregnancy among typical condom users on average is 86 percent. This includes pregnancies resulting from errors in condom use.6
    Condoms & Pregnancy
    Understanding Condom Effectiveness
    To fully understand research on condom effectiveness, one must understand the difference between method failure and user failure. Method failure refers to failure that results from a defect in the product. User failure refers to failure that results from incorrect or inconsistent use. In its fact sheet on condoms, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention explains that the term condom failure often imprecisely refers to the precentage of women who become pregnant over the course of a year in which they reported using condoms as their primary method of birth control-even if they did not use condoms every time they had intecourse. The CDC concluded that "clearly these statistics don't report condom failure but user failure."1
    Method failure of male condoms is uncommon. In fact, it is estimated to occur among only three percent of couples using condoms consistently and correctly during the first year of use. To help individuals understand this estimate, Contraceptive Technology explains that "only three of 100 couples who use condoms perfectly for one year will experience an unintended pregnancy."2
    It goes on to say that "if each [of these 100 couples] had intercourse at the average coital frequencey of 83 acts per year, then 100 couples would have intercourse a combined 8,300 times a year. Three pregnancies resulting from 8,300 acts of condom use is a remarkably low pregnancy rate (.04 percent) when calculated on a per-condom basis."3
    In truth, condom failures are most often caused by errors in use, "most notably the failure of couples to use condoms during every act of sexual intercourse."4 It is therefore important to look at the data on typical condom use or user failure.
    Among those couples using condoms as their primary method of contraception, approximately 14 percent will experience an unintended pregnancy during the first year. It is important to remember that they may not have used a condom or may have used one incorrectly during the act of intercourse that resulted in pregnancy.5
    To put this in perspective, individuals need to understand that 85 percent of women using no method of birth control will become pregnant in the first year as will 25 percent of women using periodic abstinence.6 References
    1. CDC Update, Questions and Answers on Condom Effectiveness, January 1997.
    2. R. A. Hatcher, et al., Contraceptive Technology, 17th revised edition (New York: Irvington Publishers, Inc., 1998), p. 328.
    3. Ibid, p. 329.
    4. CDC Update, Questions and Answers on Condom Effectiveness, January 1997.
    5. R. A. Hatcher, Contraceptive Technology, p. 329.
    6. Ibid., p. 216.
    HIV PREVENTION

Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in preventing transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.7
    Facts in Brief
    • Using a latex condom to prevent transmission of HIV is more than 10,000 times safer than not using a condom.8
    • A study published in The New England Journal of Medicine observed heterosexual couples where one was HIV-positive and the other was HIV-negative, for an average of 20 months. (These couples are referred to as sero-discordant.) Findings included:9
      • No sero-conversion occurred among the 124 couples who used latex condoms consistently and correctly for vaginal or anal intercourse.10
      • Ten percent of the HIV-negative partners (12 of 121) of couples became infected when condoms were used inconsistently for vaginal or anal intercourse. In contrast, 15 percent of HIV-negative partners became infected when condoms were not used.11
    • A study published in The Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes observed sero-discordant heterosexual couples and showed that only three out of 171 who consistently and correctly used condoms became HIV infected; eight out of 55 who used condoms inconsistently became HIV infected; and eight out of 79 who never used condoms became HIV infected.12
    Update on Nonoxynol-9
    In the past, public health experts recommended using condoms combined with Nonoxynol-9 (N-9), a spermicide, for increased protection against pregnancy, HIV, and STDs. Two recent studies, however, call into question the effectiveness and safety of N-9.
    A study published by UNAIDS found that N-9 used without condoms was ineffective against HIV transmission. This study actually showed some evidence that N-9 increased the risk of HIV-infection.
    Researchers note that this study was conducted among commercial sex workers in Africa who are at increased risk and used a N-9 gel on a frequent basis. The adverse affects might not be seen at the same level among women who are using N-9 less frequently or in a different formulation.
    As a result of this study, however, the CDC concluded that "given that N-9 has been proven ineffective against HIV transmission, the possibility of risk, with no benefit, indicates that N-9 should not be recommended as an effective means of HIV-prevention."1
    A similar study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that N-9, when used with condoms, did not protect women from the bacteria that causes gonorrhea and chlamydial infection any better than condoms used alone.2 References
    1. Letter to Colleagues from Helene D. Gayle, M.D., M.P.H., director, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, August 4, 2000.
    2. R. E. Roddy; L. Zekeng; K. A. Ryan, U. Tamoufé, and K. G. Tweedy, "Effect of Nonoxynol-9 Gel on Urogenital Gonorrhea and Chlamydial Infection: A Randomized Controlled Trial," Journal of the American Medical Association, March 6, 2002, pp.1117-22.
    STD PREVENTION

Condoms can be expected to provide different levels of risk reduction for different STDs. There is no definitive study about condom effectiveness for all STDs. Definitive data are lacking on the degree of risk reduction that latex condoms provide for some STDs; for others, the evidence is considered inconclusive.
    The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states, "It is important to note that the lack of data about the level of condom effectiveness indicates that more research is needed-not that latex condoms do not work."13
    Facts in Brief
    • Several studies have demonstrated that condoms can protect against the transmission of chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trichomoniasis, and may protect against genital herpes and syphilis.14
    Condoms and STDs: CDC Prevention Messages
    The following are prevention messages recently developed by the CDC:
    • Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in preventing the transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. In addition, correct and consistent use of latex condoms can reduce the risk of other STDs.
    • Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, can reduce the risk of transmission of gonorrhea, chlamydia, and trichomoniasis.
    • Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, can reduce the risk of genital herpes, syphilis, chancroid, and HPV only when the infected areas are covered or protected by the condom.
    • The use of latex condoms has been associated with a reduction in risk of HPV-associated diseases, such as cervical cancer.
    Reference
    • Latex Condoms and Sexually Transmitted Diseases-Prevention Messages, National Center for HIV, STD & TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA (undated document).
    CONDOM BREAKAGE AND SLIPPAGE

Although people fear that condoms may break or fall off during use, studies indicate this rarely occurs when condoms are properly used.15 It is also important to note that not all condom breaks are equally risky. As many as 24 to 65 percent occur before intercourse and pose no biological risk of pregnancy or infection if a new condom is used for intercourse.16
    Facts in Brief
    • A study published in the American Journal of Public Health observed female sex workers in Nevada brothels, where condom use is required by law, and found that of 353 condoms used by the sex workers during the study, none broke or fell off during intercourse, and only two (0.6 percent) slipped off during withdrawal.17
    • Studies have reported breakage rates during vaginal intercourse ranging from zero percent to 6.7 percent. Most studies report that condoms break less than two percent of the time during intercourse or withdrawal.18
    • Condoms fall off the penis in 0.6 percent to 5.4 percent acts of vaginal intercourse and may slip down the penis without falling off in 3.4 percent to 13.1 percent of acts of vaginal intercourse.19
    • Breakage rates during anal sex for gay men in four prospective studies ranged from 0.5 percent to 12 percent, with rates less than two percent in three of the studies.20
    CONDOM USE

Research shows that consistent condom use among sexually active individuals has increased.
    Facts in Brief
    • In 2001, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance Summaries found that among currently sexually active students in grades nine through 12 nationwide, 57.9 percent reported that either they or their partner had used a condom during last sexual intercourse compared to 58.0 percent in 1999, 56.8 percent in 1997, 54.4 percent in 1995, and 52.8 percent in 1993.21
    • The National Survey of Family Growth reported that 20 percent of American women 15 to 44 years of age reported using a condom in 1995 compared to 15 percent in 1988 and 12 percent in 1982.22
    CONSISTENT AND CORRECT CONDOM USE

In order to benefit from the protection that condoms provide, individuals must use them consistently and correctly. This means they must use a condom with every act of sexual intercourse, from start to finish, including penile-vaginal intercourse as well as oral and anal intercourse. In addition, individuals must understand how to properly use a condom. Studies of hundreds of couples show that consistent condom use is possible when sexual partners have the skills and motivation to use them.23
    Correct Use of the Male Condom24
    • Store condoms in a cool place out of direct sunlight (not in wallets or glove compartments). Latex will become brittle from changes in temperature, rough handling, or age. Don't use damaged, discolored, brittle, or sticky condoms.
    • Check the expiration date.
    • Carefully open the condom package-teeth or fingernails can tear the condom.
    • Use a new condom for each act of sexual intercourse.
    • Put on the condom before it touches any part of a partner's body.
    • Hold the condom over an erect penis.
    • If a penis is uncircumcised, pull back the foreskin before putting on the condom.
    • Put on the condom by pinching the reservoir tip and unrolling it all the way down the shaft of the penis from head to base. If the condom does not have a reservoir tip, pinch it to leave a half-inch space at the head of the penis for semen to collect after ejaculation.
    • In the event that the condom breaks, withdraw the penis immediately and put on a new condom before resuming intercourse.
    • Use only water-based lubrication. Do not use oil-based lubricants such as cooking/vegetable oil, baby oil, hand lotion, or petroleum jelly-these will cause the condom to deteriorate and break.
    • Withdraw the penis immediately after ejaculation. While the penis is still erect, grasp the rim of the condom between the fingers and slowly withdraw the penis (with the condom still on) so that no semen is spilled.
    • Remove the condom, making certain that no semen is spilled.
    • Carefully dispose of the condom. Do not reuse it.
    • Do not use a male condom along with a female condom. If the two condoms rub together, the friction between them can cause the male condom to be pulled off or the female condom to be pushed in.
    Correct Use of the Female Condom25
    • Do not use damaged, discolored, brittle, or sticky condoms.
    • Check the expiration date.
    • Carefully open the condom package-teeth or fingernails can tear the condom.
    • Use a new condom for each act of sexual intercourse.
    • First, inspect the condom and make certain it is completely lubricated on the outside and the inside.
    • The female condom is inserted into the vagina with fingers, much like a tampon that has no applicator. To do so:
      • Hold the condom at the closed end and squeeze the flexible inner ring with thumb and middle finger so it becomes long and narrow. With the other hand, separate the outer lips of the vagina.
      • Gently insert the inner ring end as far into the vagina as possible, using the index finger to push up the inner ring until the finger reaches the cervix (similar to how a diaphragm would be inserted).
      • Before having intercourse, make certain the condom is in place. When in place, it will cover the opening of the cervix and line the vaginal walls. A general indicator of correct insertion is that the individual will no longer feel the ring. The open end of the condom must always remain outside the vaginal opening. Before having intercourse, make certain that the condom is straight and not twisted.
      • Add water-based lubricant onto the penis and/or the inside of the female condom to increase comfort and decrease noise. It is important to use enough lubricant so that the condom stays in place during sex. If the condom is pulled out or pushed in, that is an indicator that there is not enough lubricant.
      • Be sure that the penis is not entering the vaginal canal outside of the condom before intercourse.
    • To remove the condom, twist the outer ring and gently pull the condom out to avoid any spillage.
    • Carefully dispose of the condom. Do not reuse it.
    • Do not use a male condom along with a female condom. If the two condoms rub together, the friction between them can cause the male condom to be pulled off or the female condom to be pushed in.
    Regulations and Tests
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates manufacturers who sell condoms in the United States.
    As a quality assurance step, condom manufacturers sample each lot of finished packaged condoms and examine them for holes using a water leak test. The FDA recognizes domestic and international standards that specify that the rate of sampled condoms failing the water leak test, for each manufactured lot of condoms, must be less than one in 400.
    Manufacturers also test lots for physical properties using the air burst test and the tensile (strength) property test.
    In order to test condoms' ability to prevent the passage of viruses, FDA researchers developed a test using high concentrations of a laboratory created "virus" that is the same size as STD pathogens.
    They tested many different types of male condoms and showed that they are highly effective barriers to virus passage with a very small chance of leakage. Intact condoms (those that pass the water leak test) are essentially impermeable to particles the size of STD pathogens. Moreover, these studies show that fluid flow, not virus size, is the most important determinant of viral passage through a hole. Reference
    • National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Workshop Summary: Scientific Evidence on Condom Effectiveness for Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) Prevention, July 12-13, 2000, Hyatt Dulles Airport Herndon, VA. (Released July 20, 2001)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2007
  15. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Diaphragm 20%
    http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/diaphram.htm

What is a Diaphragm?
    A diaphragm is a thin rubber dome with a springy and flexible rim. It is inserted into the vagina, fits over the cervix and is held in place by vaginal muscles. A diaphragm holds spermicide in place over the cervix (opening to the uterus). Spermicide kills sperm, preventing fertilization. After intercourse, it should be left in place for 6-8 hours. Diaphragms are 86-94% effective as birth control.
    Diaphragms may offer some limited protection against reproductive tract infections and HIV/AIDS. See Cervical Barriers Advancement Society for the latest information.
    UseCareRefittingCautionsSide Effects
    AdvantagesDisadvantagesYour Cervix
    Further ReferencesPDF Version
    Use
    Getting a diaphragm requires a fitting in a clinic. During the fitting, a fitting ring is inserted into the vagina. The largest ring that fits comfortably is usually the one chosen. Different types of diaphragms are available. You and your medical provider can decide between coil, flat, or arcing spring diaphragms.
    Diaphragms can be inserted up to 2 hours before sex because spermicide is only effective for 2 hours. If you insert your diaphragm more than 2 hours before intercourse, you will have to insert more spermicide into your vagina. To do this, leave your diaphragm in and use an applicator to add more spermicide directly into the vagina. Every time a woman has intercourse, she will need to add more spermicide to her vagina with an applicator.
    Insertion:
    • To increase effectiveness, practice inserting your diaphragm before sexual play with a partner. Your medical provider will show you how to place it correctly. Insertion can be awkward at first, but becomes easy with practice. You can try it standing with one foot on top of a chair, sitting with your knees apart, or lying down with your knees bent.
    • Before inserting the diaphragm, place a tablespoon of spermicidal jelly or cream on the inside of the dome. Squeeze the rim of the diaphragm and keep the spermicide facing up. Use one hand to spread your lips. The other hand can slide the diaphragm into your vaginal canal and over your cervix. You can check its placement by feeling for your cervix through the rubber dome.
    • Spermicide has a bad taste and may leak out of the diaphragm during insertion. Before oral sex, you may want to use a damp washcloth to wipe away excess spermicide on your genitals.
    Removal:
    • Your diaphragm should be left in for 6-8 hours after the last act of intercourse. You can remove the diaphragm by hooking your finger around the front rim and pulling down and out. If you have long nails, be careful not to tear the rubber.
    • Some types of sex play may dislodge the diaphragm. If your diaphragm moves during intercourse, consider taking Emergency Contraception.
    Do not douche while the diaphragm is in place. It weakens the spermicide.
    Care

After using a diaphragm, wash it with mild soap and warm water. To maintain effectiveness, diaphragms must not have holes or cracks. Holding it up to the light or filling it with water are two ways you can check the condition of your diaphragm.
    Oil-based creams, including some vaginal medications, can damage diaphragms, so avoid contact with those materials.
    Since it can be hard to tell how much spermicide is left in a tube, it's a good idea to keep an extra package on hand.
    Refitting
    Pregnancy and weight changes can affect the way a diaphragm fits. It is recommended that a medical provider check the fit of a diaphragm every few years. Women who have gained or lost more than ten pounds, have had vaginal surgery, or given birth may need a new size.
    Cautions
    Diaphragms are not recommended for women who have had Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Side Effects

If you or your partner have any discomfort when the diaphragm is in place or if you experience genital itching or irritation, unusual vaginal discharge or frequent bladder infections, call the clinic for information and options. Bladder infections are the most frequent side effect of the diaphragm.
    Some women may experience allergic reactions to the rubber of the diaphragm or the spermicide they use. If this happens and your spermicide has nonoxynol-9, try a spermicide without this chemical.
    Advantages
    • Can be inserted 2 hours before sex.
    • Easy to carry around, comfortable.
    • Does not alter menstrual cycles.
    • Does not affect future fertility.
    • May help you better know your body.
    Disadvantages
    • Does not protect against HIV/AIDS.
    • Requires a fitting in a clinic.
    • Needs occasional refitting.
    • Possible allergic reaction.
    • May increase risk of bladder infections.
    • Can be messy.
    Emergency Contraception (The "Morning After" Pill - "Plan B" - "EC")
    You can prevent pregnancy after sexual intercourse by taking Emergency Contraception pills (Plan B). Plan B works by giving the body a short burst of synthetic hormones that disrupt the hormone patterns needed for a pregnancy to start. Some types of regular birth control pills will work. Emergency Contraception is most effective 24-48 hours after unprotected intercourse but it can work for several days.
    To find a clinic, doctor or pharmacy close to you, call the nationwide Emergency Contraception Hotline at 1-800-584-9911, 24 hours a day in English or Spanish (also at 1-888-NOT-2-LATE and ec.princeton.edu).
    If you already have birth control pills in your possession, ask the hotline how to use them as emergency contraception. Or call our clinics at 800-572-4223 and ask how to use the birth control pills you already have to prevent pregnancy after sex.
    In Washington State you can get Plan B directly from your pharmacy without first getting a prescription from a doctor. Call ahead to make sure they have it in stock and a trained person available to give it to you.
    Women's health activists are working to make Plan B available over-the-counter nationwide so that one day soon you could purchase it at your neighborhood drug store.
    Some women are buying Plan B in advance (it costs around $35-40) so they will have it on hand if they need.

Vaginal Sponge (no previous births) 20%
    Vaginal Sponge (previous births 40%
    http://www.femininehygiene.com/vaginal_sponge.htm
    Vaginal Sponge
    Education, Information & Products for Husbands

What is the Vaginal Sponge?

The Vaginal Sponge is a donut-shaped polyurethane device containing spermicide and a woven polyester loop that hangs down into the vagina for removal. Note: In 1995, the sponge was taken off the market in the United States by its manufacturer. The Birth Control Sponge is currently available in Canada and expected to return to the U.S. market soon
    How is the Birth Control Sponge inserted and used?

The Vaginal Sponge can be inserted by the husband or wife, insuring that the sponge is inserted deep enough into her/your vagina - and insuring the sponge covers the cervix. The Vaginal Sponge can be left in place for 24 hours and multiple acts of intercourse; however, it must be left in the vagina for 6 hours after the last act of intercourse.

Instructions for Inserting the Vaginal Sponge

1. Remove the vaginal sponge from package and wet it thoroughly with clean water.

2. Squeeze the vaginal sponge until it foams completely, to activate the spermicide. There is more than enough spermicide in the sponge, so squeeze until it foams generously while adding plenty of water, but stop squeezing after it begins foaming

3. Fold the sides of the vaginal sponge upward and insert it deeply in your/her vagina making sure it covers the cervix.

4. The
    Vaginal Sponge can be inserted up to 24 hours prior to intercourse and provides immediate and continuous contraception during this period, regardless of the frequency of intercourse.

5. The
    Vaginal Sponge should be left in place for six hours after the last act of intercourse but no longer than 30 hours after insertion.

6. You/your wife may swim or tub bathe with the
    Vaginal Sponge properly placed in your/her vagina.
    NOTE: Strenuous activity and some sexual activity could dis-lodge the proper placement of the Vaginal Sponge inside your/her vagina.

7. Do not use the
    Vaginal Sponge during your menstrual period. Another method of birth control should be used during this time.

8. The
    Vaginal Sponge should be removed by grasping the loop that is attached to the back of the sponge. Do not attempt to pull on the sponge, as it may fragment.

Does the Vaginal Sponge protect against STDs?

No.

Does the Vaginal Sponge protect against pregnancy?

Yes.

What are the chances of getting pregnant while using the Vaginal Sponge?

Typical use: 20%

Perfect use: 9%

What are the advantages to using the Vaginal Sponge?

The Birth Control Sponge protects for 24 hours and multiple acts of intercourse during that time. Many couples find it more exciting, and helps her arousal if the husband inserts the vaginal sponge prior to intercourse.

Are there any disadvantages to using the Vaginal Sponge?

The Vaginal Sponge must not be left in the vagina for more than 30 hours or the female runs the risk of toxic shock syndrome.

Cervical cap (no previous births) 20%
    Cervical cap (previous births 40%
    http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/capinfo.htm
    What is a Cervical Cap?
    A cervical cap is a latex, thimble-shaped device that is inserted into the vagina and fits snugly over the cervix. Suction keeps the cap in place. A cervical cap provides a barrier to block sperm from entering the uterus and prevents fertilization. After intercourse, it should be left in place for 8 hours. A cervical cap is used with spermicidal jellies or creams that kill sperm. As birth control, cervical caps are 84-91% effective for women who have never given birth. They are 68-74% effective for women who have given birth.
    There are 2 brands of cervical barriers available in the USA: Lea's Shield and Femcap.

DisadvantagesYour CervixFurther ReferencesPDF Version
    Q & A
    Use
    The effectiveness of a cervical cap depends on its fit. Cervical caps come in different sizes to fit different women. A fitting is done in a clinic. When you are first fitted for the cap, your medical practitioner will show you how to insert the cap. A cervical cap can stay in place for 48 hours. Practice inserting and removing your cervical cap before sex play with a partner. It can be awkward at first, but becomes easy with practice. Cervical caps are not recommended during menstrual periods.

Insertion:
    Prepare the cervical cap by filling it about one-third full with spermicide. Be careful not to spread spermicide on the rim. Too much spermicide may cause the cap to slip off your cervix. If you are having oral sex, you can wipe excess spermicide off your vulva. Spermicides can have a bad taste.
    To insert the cap, find a comfortable position. Try standing with one foot raised on a chair, sitting with knees apart, or lying down with knees bent. Use one hand to separate your lips. The other hand can squeeze the rim of your cervical cap and insert the cap far inside your vagina. Use a finger to push it over your cervix. You can run your finger around the cap's rim to make sure the cervix is covered. Test the suction of your cap by gently pinching and pulling on it. You should feel some resistance.

Removal:
    After intercourse, wait 8 hours before removing your cervical cap. You can use one finger to release the suction at the rim then pull the cap out of your vagina. If you have trouble reaching the cap, try squatting and bearing down.

Awareness:
    The highest risk of pregnancy occurs during the first few months women use cervical caps. To increase effectiveness during these months and every time you have a new partner, check the position of your cap before and after intercourse to make sure that it stays in place. If the cap moved during intercourse, consider using Emergency Contraception.

Care

Do not douche or use oil-based lubricants with the cervical cap in place. Douching weakens the spermicide and oil-based lubricants, like Vaseline or edible oils, may damage the cap. After use, wash the cap with mild soap and warm water. You can prevent odors by soaking your cervical cap in diluted lemon juice and drying your cap between uses. To make sure the cap stays effective, regularly check the condition of the cap. You can hold it up to the light or fill it with water to check for holes.
    Refitting
    Giving birth or having an abortion can affect the way a cervical cap fits. After a birth or an abortion, it is recommended that women have a medical provider check the fit of their cervical cap.
    Cautions
    Cervical caps are not recommended for women who have had Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Side Effects

Some women may experience allergic reactions to the rubber of the cervical cap or the spermicide they use. If this happens and your spermicide has nonoxynol-9, try a spermicide without this chemical.
    Advantages
    • Can be inserted many hours before sex play.
    • Easy to carry around, comfortable.
    • Does not alter the menstrual cycle.
    • May help you better know your body.

Disadvantages
    • Requires a fitting in a clinic.
    • Some women cannot be fitted.
    • Can be difficult to insert or remove.
    • Can be dislodged during intercourse.
    • Possible allergic reactions.
    Other: Cervical caps may offer some limited protection against HIV/AIDS and against some, but not all, sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
    LEARN MORE AT: Questions and Answers about Cervical Caps

Spermicide (gel, foam, suppository, film) 26%
    http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/spermicide.htm
    What is Spermicide?
    A spermicide kills or disables sperm so that it cannot cause pregnancy. Spermicides come in many different forms: foam, jelly, cream, film, and suppositories. Most use the chemical nonoxynol-9 against sperm. Spermicides provide lubrication and can be used with other methods of birth control. They are most effective when used consistently and correctly with a barrier method of birth control, like a condom. Spermicides are 71-82% effective as birth control. Used alone, spermicide does not protect against HIV/AIDS.
    AdvantagesDisadvantages
    Your CervixFurther ReferencesPDF Version
    Use
    Spermicide can be used alone or with other birth control methods to reduce the risk of pregnancy. The lubrication it provides can increase pleasure. Insert your spermicide within a half hour before intercourse. Add more spermicide for repeated intercourse. Leave your spermicide in your vagina for 8 hours after the last act of intercourse and do not douche for 8 hours. Douching weakens spermicide. It is available in most drug stores and does not require a prescription.

Foam:
    Foam comes in a can and is the consistency of shaving cream. To use it, shake the can well. Place the applicator on the top of the can and press down or to the side, depending on the package directions. The plunger will rise as the applicator fills. Insert the applicator about two or three inches into your vagina and press the plunger to deposit the foam over your cervix. As you withdraw the applicator, be sure not to pull back on the plunger. This will suck some foam back into the applicator. It is effective immediately.

Creams and Jellies:
    Creams are opaque and jellies are clear. They can be inserted into the vagina with an applicator and/or rubbed over the penis. Cream or jelly is typically used with a diaphragm or cervical cap. It can also be used with condoms and is effective immediately.

Vaginal Contraceptive Film (VCF):
    VCF comes in thin squares that dissolve over the cervix. To use it, fold the film in half and then place it on the tip of a finger. Insert your finger into your vagina and put the VCF over your cervix. A dry finger and quick insertion will help the VCF stay in place and not stick to your finger. It may take about 15 minutes for the VCF to melt and become effective.

Suppositories:
    Suppositories are capsules that dissolve in the vagina. They are inserted into the vagina like a tampon and pushed up to the cervix. It takes about twenty minutes for a suppository to become effective.

The vagina absorbs little spermicide. If you become pregnant while using spermicide, the pregnancy will not be affected.
    When used frequently, sprermicides may irritate the vagina making it easier to catch HIV or an STI.
    Irritability varies with the form of spermicide. Foaming types may irritate more than film or cream.
    Side Effects
    You or your partner may be allergic to materials in spermicide. This can cause genital irritation, rash, or itchiness. If this happens and your spermicide has nonoxynol-9, try a spermicide without this chemical.
    Advantages
    • Available without a prescription.
    • Lubrication may increase pleasure.
    • Use can be part of sex play.
    Disadvantages
    • Must be readily available and used prior to penetration.
    • Can be messy.
    • Can have a bad taste during oral sex.
    • Possible genital irritation.
    Withdrawal 19%
    Not surprisingly, I couldn't find much about this as an actual birth control method. Don't use it!

Natural Family Planning (calendar, temperature, cervical mucus) 25%
    http://www.epigee.org/guide/natural.html

One of the oldest methods women have used to control their fertility has been through natural family panning, or fertility awareness. Natural family planning is made up of a variety of techniques, including the rhythm method, ovulation method, Standard Days Method, and the sympto-thermal method, and is based on the fact that a woman is most fertile around the time of natural birth control, they can also be used to help a couple that is trying to conceive.
    Benefits of Fertility Awareness
    There are many advantages to using family planning techniques:
    Women are able to have a better understanding of how their body works, Has no side-effects, Does not require the use of any drugs or chemicals, Relatively inexpensive, Requires the cooperation of both partners, Can be used to prevent a pregnancy as well as help a couple conceive

The Disadvantages of Natural Birth Control
    While family planning methods are popular with some people, others find the techniques to be too time consuming. Unfortunately, if you do not practice this type of birth control properly and consistently, there is a good chance you will become pregnant. However, perfect practice of these techniques have been shown to be just as effective as other types of contraceptives. Additionally, because fertility awareness methods require the involvement of both partners, this type of natural birth control may not be suitable to those people who are not in a long term, committed relationship.

Another disadvantage of fertility awareness methods is that none of them offer any protection against sexually transmitted diseases. This is why it important to use this form of birth control only when you are in a long term, committed relationship. Otherwise, it will be necessary to use condoms when you have sex to prevent the transmission of STDs.
    Before You Begin
    If you and your partner would like to use fertility awareness as your form of contraception, it is a good idea to get some training in these techniques first. This will help to ensure that you are using these methods properly to avoid pregnancy. Contact your health care provider or pregnancy resource center who can offer you training or refer you to some one else that specializes in training couples. Here are some of the methods that you should consider:

No method 85%
    For obvious reasons, don't use "nothing" for birth control either!

Last, emergency contraception which should NOT be used as birth control.
    Emergency contraception is NOT RU-486 or the "abortion pill".
    http://www.4woman.gov/faq/econtracep.htm
    What is emergency contraception (or emergency birth control)?

Emergency contraception, or emergency birth control, is used to help keep a woman from getting pregnant after she has had unprotected sex (sex without using birth control).
    Use emergency contraception if:
    • You didn’t use birth control
    • You were forced to have sex
    • The condom broke or came off
    • He didn’t pull out in time
    • You missed two or more birth control pills in a row
    • You were late getting your shot
    Emergency contraception should not be used as regular birth control. Other birth control methods are much better at keeping women from becoming pregnant. Talk with your doctor to decide which one is right for you.
    How does emergency contraception work?

Emergency contraception can keep you from becoming pregnant by:
    • Keeping the egg from leaving the ovary
    OR​
    • Keeping the sperm from meeting the egg
    OR​
    • Keeping the fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus (womb)
    If you are already pregnant, emergency contraception will NOT work.
    What are the types of emergency contraception?

There are two types:
    • Emergency contraceptive pills (ECPs)
    • Intrauterine devices (IUDs)
    ECPs contain higher doses of the same hormones in some brands of regular birth control pills. Some ECPs are "combined ECPS" with progestin and estrogen. Others are progestin-only. If you are breastfeeding or if you can’t take estrogen, you should use Progestin-only ECPs. You should always take ECPs as soon as you can after having sex, but they can work up to five days later. There are two types of ECPs:
    • Plan B (progestin-only) - made for use as emergency contraception. The two pills can be taken in two doses (one pill right away, and the next pill 12 hours later), or both pills can be taken at the same time. Some women feel sick and throw up after taking ECPs. Taking both pills at the same time will not increase your chances of having these side effects. If you throw up after taking ECPs, call your doctor or pharmacist.
    • Higher dose of regular birth control pills - The number of pills in a dose is different for each pill brand, and not all brands can be used for emergency contraception. For more information on birth control pills that can be used for emergency contraception, visit Not-2-Late.com. The pills are taken in two doses (one dose right away, and the next dose 12 hours later). Always use the same brand for both doses. Some women feel sick and throw up after taking ECPs. If you throw up after taking ECPs, call your doctor or pharmacist.
    In case you missed it before, always consult your doctor if you have questions!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2007
  16. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

17. cgnmd0819

cgnmd0819 New Member

how about info on the patch?..

18. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

http://www.orthoevra.com/
    As effective as the Pill, ORTHO EVRA is the first weekly form of reversible contraception that's 99 percent effective when used correctly. Clinical data from 3 extensive trials with more than 3,300 women with over 22,000 menstrual cycles have demonstrated the efficacy of the birth control patch.

ORTHO EVRA helps prevent pregnancy the same way birth control pills do: by preventing ovulation. This means that the ovary does not release an egg to be fertilized. It also thickens the cervical mucus, which makes it more difficult for sperm to enter the uterus, and it changes the endometrium to reduce the chance of implantation

Results from a survey of patch users show that 95% of women were satisfied with ORTHO EVRA as a discreet form of birth control. Once you put it on, you'll hardly notice it. And neither will anyone else.

The Patch is incredibly thin and smooth and can be worn on 1 of 4 areas of the body: upper outer arm, upper torso (front and back, excluding the breasts), abdomen, or buttocks.

[​IMG]

You can choose to wear the Patch in a different area of your body each week. Many women change their Patch location weekly, depending on wardrobe choices and what feels best to them.

*Data on file, PatchedIn!® survey results through 4/30/06 (N = 774,036)

Survey 1 responders (n = 109,527)

Shower, swim, exercise. The Patch stays put.

Our patch technology allows ORTHO EVRA to adhere well to the skin, allowing you to perform your daily activities such as bathing, showering, swimming, and exercising without interruption.

In a special study conducted in warm and humid conditions—including swimming, bathing, sitting in a sauna, working out on a treadmill, and soaking in a whirlpool—the birth control patch showed excellent sticking power. You can do everything you normally do, and know that the patch is right there with you, doing its job.

So you have one less thing to think about in your busy day.

Learn how ORTHO EVRA safely and effectively helps prevent pregnancy.

How ORTHO EVRA Works
    Watch ORTHO EVRA Work
    About Patches

How ORTHO EVRA works
    [​IMG] When you wear ORTHO EVRA, patch technology delivers a steady flow of hormones through the skin and into your bloodstream over a period of 7 days. ORTHO EVRA contains the same hormones found in the Pill—progestin and estrogen.

Like the birth control pill, ORTHO EVRA works in several ways to help prevent pregnancy:
    • It helps prevent ovulation, which means that an egg is not released by one of your ovaries for fertilization.
    • It thickens cervical mucus so that sperm are less likely to enter your uterus.
    • It causes changes in the endometrium to reduce the likelihood of implantation.
    [​IMG]Top

Watch It Work
    See how the ORTHO EVRA birth control patch delivers hormones into your body.

[​IMG]
    slow connection [​IMG]
    fast connection [​IMG]
    Click here to download the Real One Player
    [​IMG]
    slow connection [​IMG]
    fast connection [​IMG]
    Click here to download the Windows Media Player

[​IMG]Top

About Patches
    Patches steadily deliver medicine through your skin and into your bloodstream over a period of time. Patch technology is a simple, efficient and convenient way to provide a constant flow of medicine into your body.

Although each patch is different, most have 3 layers that help you get the medicine you need:
    • A seal on the outer surface to protect the Patch from damage
    • A compartment that holds the medication
    • An adhesive backing that keeps the Patch on your skin with little or no irritation
    A patch is not a daily pill, an injection or a diaphragm. Patches do not prevent against HIV or sexually transmitted diseases.

In addition to birth control, patch technology is used to deliver medication for the following purposes:
    • Pain management
    • Smoking cessation
    • Treatment of heart disease
    • Hormone replacement therapy
    • Management of motion sickness
    • Treatment of chronic pain (moderate to severe)
    • Treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension)
    • Prevention of chest pain (angina)
    [​IMG]Top [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Important Safety Information: Serious as well as minor side effects have been reported with the use of the Patch. Serious risks, which can be life threatening, include blood clots, stroke and heart attacks and are increased if you smoke cigarettes. Cigarette smoking increases the risk of serious cardiovascular side effects, especially if you are over 35. Women who use the Patch are strongly advised not to smoke.Some women should not use the Patch, including women who have blood clots, certain cancers, a history of heart attack or stroke, as well as those who are or may be pregnant.

Hormones from patches applied to the skin get into the blood stream and are removed from the body differently than hormones from birth control pills taken by mouth. You will be exposed to about 60% more estrogen if you use ORTHO EVRA than if you use a typical birth control pill containing 35 micrograms (mcg) of estrogen. In general, increased estrogen exposure may increase the risk of side effects. The risk of venous thromboembolic disease (blood clots in the legs and/or the lungs) may be increased with ORTHO EVRA compared with that of a birth control pill containing norgestimate and 35 mcg of estrogen. One study found a doubling of this risk and another study found no increased risk.

You should discuss with your healthcare professional whether ORTHO EVRA is a good method of contraception for you. The Patch does not protect against HIV or sexually transmitted diseases.

Please click here for full US Prescribing Information.

19. Lovely Atlantis

Lovely Atlantis Luscious Lovely Lady!

Good work on this thread! I just thought I would add in something here too. There are so many types of BC Pills that even once you narrow it down out of the BC options you listed, to wanting to use the pill, it can be hard to know which one to use. So I thought I would add this in here because I found it VERY useful when I was trying to figure out what type of BC pill was right for me. This chart lists current problems/ side effects you may be experiencing ON YOUR CURRENT BC pill (so this isn't for those who are not on the pill already), and lists alternative pills which would help get rid of that problem. I like that it also provides the reason for why one of these different pills would be better (the "Principal"). I hope this can be as helpful for others as it was for me :)

Current Pill Problems and Choice of Pill to Switch To

Side effect/ Problem: Acne
    Principal: higher estrogen, lower androgen potency
    Pill suggestions: Yasmin®, Demulen® 1/50, Othro-Tri Cyclen®, Ortho-Cyclen®, Yasmin®, Brevicon®, Modicon®, Necon®, Ortho Evra®, Mircette®

Side Effect/Problem: Break-through bleeding
    Principal: higher estrogen, higher progestin potency, lower androgen potency
    Pill Suggestions: Yasmin®, Demulen® 1/50, Zovia® 1/50E, Ovcon® 50, Desogen®, Ortho-Cept®, Estrostep® Fe, Loestrin® 1/20

Side Effect Problem: Absent or too light menstrual flow
    Principal: higher estrogen, lower progestin potency
    Pill suggestions: Ortho-Cyclen®, Ovcon® 35, Brevicon®, Modicon®, Necon® 1/50, Norinyl® 1/50, Ortho-Novum® 1/50, Necon® 1/35, Norinyl® 1/35, Ortho-Novum® 1/35,

Side Effect/Problem: Depression
    Principal: lower progestin potency
    Pill suggestions: Ortho Evra®, Ovcon® 35, Ortho-TriCyclen®, Othro-Cyclen®, Brevicon®, Modicon®, Necon® 1/35, Alesse®, Levlite®, Tri-Levlen®, Triphasil®, Trivora®

Side Effect/Problem: Moodiness or irritability
    Principal: lower progestin potency
    Pill Suggestions: Ortho Evra®, Ovcon® 35, Ortho Tri-Cyclen®, Othro-Cyclen®, Brevicon®, Modicon®, Necon® 1/35, Alesse®, Levlite®, Tri-Levlen®, Triphasil®, Trivora®

Side Effect/Problem: Headaches (not menstrual migraines)
    Principal: lower estrogen, lower progestin potency
    Pill Suggestions: Ortho Evra®, Alesse®, Levlite®,

Side Effect/Problem: Breast soreness
    Pill Suggestions: Yasmin®*, Ortho Evra®, Alesse®, Levlite®, Loestrin® 1/20 Fe, any lower estrogen pill than currently on

Side Effect/Problem: Weight gain
    Pill Suggestions: Yasmin®*, Ortho Evra®, Alesse®, Levlite®, Loestrin® 1/20 Fe, any lower estrogen pill than currently on

Side Effect/Problem: Severe menstrual cramps
    Principal: higher progestin potency
    Pill Suggestions:Yasmin®, Desogen®, Ortho-Cept®, Mircette®, Loestrin® 1.5/30, Demulen® 1/35, Zovia® 1/35E, Demulen® 1/50, Zovia® 1/50E

Side Effect/Problem: Endometriosis or endometriosis prevention
    Principal: lower estrogen, higher progestin potency, higher androgen potency
    Pill Suggestions: Loestrin® 1.5/30, Loestrin® 1/20 Fe, LoOvral®, Levlen®, Levora®, Nordette®, Demulen® 1/35, Zovia® 1/35, (used either continuously with zero days of placebo pills or with only 4 days of placebo pills for prevention)

* - The progestin has anti-water retention properties

20. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Before Posting A New Thread- Get In Here & Read

Here are a handful of links to commonly covered topics. If you start a thread about these subjects, it will be closed.

Hopefully, you will find your answers here.

If not, buy a Subscription and search. (Which everyone should be doing already :) ) If you do not have a valid subscription, and are in the Vag often enough to see duplicate threads, you can buy a Sub or deal with the dups. But do not complain.

In addition to this sticky, check out the others before posting.

I am not linking to retarded PUA threads, bc I personally find them just that, retarded.

Penis Size
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1881055&highlight=penis+size
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1896258&highlight=penis+size
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=966246&highlight=penis+size
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=966246&highlight=smell
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3039681

Crotch Rot/Bad Smell

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2980995&highlight=smell
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2828610&highlight=smell
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1692736&highlight=stink

Shaving/Hair removal

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3191223&highlight=shave
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3131005&highlight=shave
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3168290&highlight=shave
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2937160&highlight=shave
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2799433&highlight=shave
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2673163&highlight=shave

Morning After Pill/BC

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2655698&highlight=birth+control
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1916352&highlight=birth+control
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3010713&highlight=birth+control
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2550962&highlight=bc+pill
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1958521&highlight=morning+after
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3010713

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  21. warm

warm Capitalism ftw

When you're using birth control and you're not having sex with a condom, where does the semen go?

Do people pull out anyway? Does the woman have to worry about it dripping back out?

22. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Some semen will travel up further and most will leak out.

Some people do pull out anyway, some don't. Depends on the relationship and confidence in their partners BC taking habits.

Yes, it's going to leak out, mostly when she stands up.

23. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

I agree with this. I dont tend to have g-spot orgasms.

My vaginal orgasms aren't that intense either. I didn't know I was having them in the past.

24. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

try a clitoral stimulator. A finger just doesn't get it sometimes.
    She may not be very sensitive in that area.

25. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

does this thread make no distinction between RU-486 and the Morning After Pill?

that's a serious misrepresentation of facts if true