Everything you want to know + Birth Control & Pregnancy Q's (a MUST read)

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Zemo, Apr 16, 2005.

1. lauren

lauren Active Member

:hsugh:

"Emergency contraception is NOT RU-486 or the "abortion pill".

what distinction are you looking for? it's not bc, so it wasn't covered in detail. there's a link on the first page.

they certainly arent presenting them as the same thing, or even comparable. not sure where you got that from....i didn't see the terms used interchangeably anywhere, if you did, point it out.

2. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

This link, http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/ASMF/asmf6.html, titled Some information about RU-486 (the "abortion pill" NOT to be confused with emergency contraception) can be found on the very first page of this thread.

This is a self-service sticky. It is your responsibility to do the required reading.

3. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

First Post

I'm not quite sure why links on the morning after pill and emergency contraception are listed under a Q&A for RU-486.

I'm not trying to devalue the sticky in any way, but a quick discussion on how the morning after pill works might be helpful
    [/FONT]

4. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

Ok so does the Q-tip test get every disease or do you need a q-tip/blood combo ?

5. fray

fray New Member

I was under the impression it was just gonorrhea/chlamydia. There are blood tests for syphilis and obviously HIV. I don't think there's any test for HPV. Not sure on herpes, is that just by history and any obvious breakouts?

6. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

tests are available for both HPV and herpes. HPV test is given during a pap, tests for herpes are either through the blood or from lesions. lesion test would be more conclusive since many people have herpes simplex 1 orally and would test positive for it through blood tests.

7. fray

fray New Member

but for males, there is no hpv test, is there?

8. yankeeschick14

thats correct, nothin thats fda approved

9. fray

fray New Member

well, considering you can become pregnant if you miss more than one pill per cycle, I would assume immediately for purposes of pregnancy prevention. However, googled answer says 2-6 weeks for first ovulation after taking pills, but that doesn't mean pregnant right away anyway.

10. yankeeschick14

my mom got pregnant two weeks after going off the pill that she had been on for 8 years. yeah, you basically have a chance immediately.