TECH Ex-boyfriend spying on my boss

Skankin'

We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget
Sep 3, 2007
One of my bosses at work swears up and down that her ex is spying on her computer. Supposedly the guy works for a company that is contracted out to install security and monitoring software on school computers and networks and he set up her computer. She doesn't know much. I told her I could reformat her computer and resecure it with some anti-virus and a firewall.

My question is, how could I catch the guy in the act if he really was? I kind of doubt it, but her computer sometimes acts on its own and scrolls through stuff, exits windows/apps, and stuff like that. Also, usually when this happens, her internet/phone/cable TV goes out.

I think it is all just a coincidence, but anyone have any ideas? How hard is it to access cable modems? I know the cable company can usually connect right in and see what is going on, I would guess it is just some standard/easy procedure. But I'm not sure.

Bottomline is I'm just going to reformat anyway for peace of mind.

Doomsday

XXX
Mar 14, 2000
Minnesota
ex probably left a port open for remote access, complete with permissions, exceptions and such,... but we could only guess.

don't know about the internet/phone/cable TV going out.

if your boss wants to pursue legal action,... she should bring the pc 'untouch' to a security firm or the proper authorities, and let them deal with it.

if she doesn't want to bother,... just do a clean format. don't reinstall old stuff.
if she has a router, reset that as well.

Oct 17, 2004
New England
One of my bosses at work swears up and down that her ex is spying on her........ I told her I could .....
STAY THE FUCK AWAY!

Why are you involving yourself? It can't end well.

How hard is it to access cable modems?
If he had physical access to her PC then he could have installed software on it to make it easy to access remotely.

Bottom line is I'm just going to reformat anyway for peace of mind.
Then do it, but you're making a mistake getting involved.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
I'm 18 and she is upwards of 45. :mamoru: Hell, her 3 kids are all of drinking age.
As long as she isn't 300lbs with spider veins and smoker's wrinkles, I don't see the problem. Other than that, older just means more experienced.

She could ruin you for every other woman your own age. :jb:

TS
TS
Skankin'

Skankin'

We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget
Sep 3, 2007
As long as she isn't 300lbs with spider veins and smoker's wrinkles, I don't see the problem. Other than that, older just means more experienced.

She could ruin you for every other woman your own age. :jb:

She is actually pretty decent. Her daughters are smoking.

Rumbaar

Inherent Omniscience
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I'd get her to change her passwords as well, those are the easiest ways to gain access to mail, etc. Which even after a format will result in the 'ex' gaining access once again. People tend to use very easily guessed passwords, if it's someone they know.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448