Family Christmas Traditions?

Ballast

Cold Heartless Bastard
Aug 9, 2001
London, Ontario
I'm not sure if my Dad loved Christmas, or if his OCD just loved the pomp and circumstance that came with Christmas.
When I was little, we would decorate the tree on the first Saturday of December. It seemed to be the only day of the year that we played records on the stereo... the stereo that had speakers wired throughout the entire house. It seemed to be cranked to it's maximum volume, and I could never understand why the neighbours windows did not shatter...

And part of that Christmas music was Whistlin' Otto (the baby reindeer) by Vincent Lopez and his orchestra. It was my favourite Christmas song growing up... and I couldn't understand why no one else I met had heard of it... and that's how I learned that my dad was special. He had something amazing that no one else in the world seemed to have.

When he passed in 2018, the only thing I cared about was being able to recreate that feeling I had as a child, listening to that music at Christmas... and I finally bought a damned turntable and got to hear it again this year...

Merry Christmas everyone. Stay home so you can have Christmas with your loved ones next year. 🥰

Share your family traditions.

E2013C5D-6BC8-4D0A-B94D-D15E9D11EA16.jpeg
763C0526-67E7-4554-A03C-C673F23B59A7.jpeg

Marty

Won Ton Animal Chin is Missing
May 23, 2000
have you seen him?
I’m glad you recaptured the magic and have wonderful memories of your father through the music. I wish you well and seasons greetings!

T_Dawgg

Escape Goat
May 6, 2001
vancity
The “kids” (were all mid-30s-mid40s) all play spoons and annoy the fuck out of our parents before dinner and then after dinner we have putting contests for money

oftenly

ae iirc
Sep 26, 2009
iu

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor