FCC Eliminates Rule That Required Stations to Have a Main Studio in Local Coverage Area

SBrooks1

I Bomb Atomically
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
WASHINGTON — The FCC on Tuesday voted to eliminate a rule that required broadcast station groups to maintain a physical presence in the community of their primary local coverage area, a move that critics say will help media companies further consolidate their operations and even be a boost to the ambitions of Sinclair Broadcast Group.

But FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said the elimination of the rule has been a long time coming and will produce cost savings for stations.

He said the “overwhelming majority” of public input favored the elimination of the rule, citing the support for such an action even from National Public Radio.

“Continuing to require a main studio would detract from, rather than promote, a broadcaster’s ability and incentive to keep people informed and serve the public interest,” Pai said.

The rule dates to 1940. The two Democrats on the commission opposed the change.

“There are many broadcasters who do an extraordinary job serving communities during disaster,” said FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel. “But let’s be honest — they can only do so when they have a real presence in their area of license. That’s not a retrograde notion — it’s a fact.”

She said when broadcasters have a physical presence they are “much less likely” to lose touch with their local community concerns, citing examples of radio stations that have continued with music programming and have ignored or even been oblivious to natural disasters occurring in their coverage area.

Commissioner Mignon Clyburn said the move sends a signal that the FCC “no longer believes” that “those awarded a license to use the public airwaves should have a local presence in their community.”

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/fcc-main-studio-rule-ajit-pai-sinclair-1202597651

TS
TS
SBrooks1

SBrooks1

I Bomb Atomically
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
I’m not sure if I should be upset about this or not.
Let's say a media company owns a bunch of small news stations in rural areas in a state. This would allow them to close them and only have a main news station in a major city in that state. It will eliminate jobs and make it harder for people to get into broadcasting.

smell my finger

strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,
Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
Oh no, I won't get any more reports about neighborhood squirrel s and pot luck dinners? Local news is irrelevant in most cities

BII

Y’all got any daughters that need sittin’ ?
Oct 28, 2005
SoCal
Oh no, I won't get any more reports about neighborhood squirrel s and pot luck dinners? Local news is irrelevant in most cities
without local news we wouldn't have all the Florida Man stories, we would have never have had bubb rubb or the hide yo kids, hide yo wife guy

who's going to cover car chases? who's going to go after local mechanics that rip people off?

phat🐄

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
without local news we wouldn't have all the Florida Man stories, we would have never have had bubb rubb or the hide yo kids, hide yo wife guy

who's going to cover car chases? who's going to go after local mechanics that rip people off?
:rofl: its not going to eliminate local news. our KTLA is safe

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kassile