CAR Feds are now searching out and seizing R32-R34 Skylines

dixie2.0

dixienormous
Dec 25, 2009
http://jalopnik.com/#!5775509/feds-launch-new-crackdown-against-nissan-skyline-owners

The owner of one of the nation's largest forums for Nissan Skyline fans got a call three weeks ago from his wife, telling him that Homeland Security agents were on their doorstep looking to seize his Skylines. Their goal? "To get them off the road."

Since Nissan never legally sold the Skyline in the United States, those that are in the country had to pass a maze of federal standards for emissions and safety, including crash tests. Thanks to the failure of an importer who didn't perform the proper test, only a small run of Skylines from 1996 to 1998 can be legally brought to the United States, and many that were originally OK'd for import later had their papers pulled. Those cars are contraband as far as the U.S. government cares — even if they were considered legal when their current owners bought them — and there's nothing current owners can do to make them legal

The proprietor of the SkylineOwners USA says he was expecting the worst when he got home on Feb. 11, but found just two Immigrations and Customs agents. What was more confusing was the agent's info:
It was evident that someone somewhere had passed on some bum scoop, that I was running a business with the sole intent of trafficking illegal non-conforming vehicles into the U.S. by the dozens. In addition they were under the assumption that I possessed a warehouse where I kept all of the vehicles and also did all my automotive repair and modification work at.

The owner, known as Vandrel, had just two Skylines; one that's old enough to be exempt from vehicle import rules, and another for which he had extensive paperwork. After their visit, the customs agents called Vandrel back to say his second Skyline had been deemed illicit, and they would return to seize it on Tuesday.

But when they came back, Vandrel had a surprise for them:
I made it very clear that my intent was to retain ownership for the time being and export the vehicle from the country, and that I had already made arrangements for a sale to be conducted as well as export of the vehicle, which of course shocked them completely since all past Skylines seized were not owned by someone who carried the ability to execute an export on the spot. With no car and no material items left in my possession that would cause me to worry about being questioned or investigated by the federal government any further, I now have nothing to lose by challenging them and I intend to do so to the fullest of my abilities and resources.

long article on importation, motorex, the feds, etc.
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/th...ine-importation-into-the-united-states-1.html

NHTSA breakdown on legalization of Skylines:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.nicoclub.com/articles/NHTSA-update.pdf

TS
TS
dixie2.0

dixie2.0

dixienormous
Dec 25, 2009
:ugh2: do they honestly not have anything better to spend public resources on?

MCohen

#GoSolar
OT Supporter
May 30, 2004
Washington, DC
It's a good thing the TSA is doing such a good job, the borders are secure and terrorist threats are down so Homeland Security has time to worry about shit like this.

Oh wait...

TS
TS
dixie2.0

dixie2.0

dixienormous
Dec 25, 2009
wtf is so illegal about this car?

the parking brake light on the dash doesn't say BRAKE and the speedometer is primarily in KPH. the seatbelts don't bolt to the floor correctly. the passenger side mirror doesn't remind you stuff isn't 2 miles away like it appears.

oh, and it doesn't have some stupid reflectors or side crash bars.

Kriz

May 27, 2003
Doesn't conform to U.S. safety standards.

And this does?

rat1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan