ART few pics from my honeymoon/vacation, C&C please

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
The "wife" (damn that is hard to say) and I took a week long trip to Bonaire to do some diving after the wedding, all went well had a great trip and even took some jcolman inspired pics of my new wife in her wedding dress :bigthumb:

I'd love to get some C&C on these as this was my first attempt at anything like this..

_MG_1369.jpg

_MG_1632.jpg

_MG_1651.jpg

_MG_1835.jpg

*I know her facial expression on this one is no good :o
_MG_1817.jpg

some underwater pics, first time using an underwater strobe, which took quite a bit of getting used to so that the shots were not blown out entirely.. I think i finally figured it out on the last day, the last dive :wtc:
IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

PICT0029.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

The little green guy is a frogfish and there is one pic of the seahorse.. both of these creatures are a complete BITCH to find and we were completely STOKED to find them both while we were there. I'll put up some more pics tonight after i have more time to go through them all and read some C&C :bigthumb:

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
Use a larger aperture (f/2.8 instead of f/8 for example) to decrease your DOF and your pics will pop out a bit more. Move your off camera light to the side as well. Keep trying young padwan and you'll get there. :bigthumb:

What did you use for your underwater housing? I need to rent one for my 5D II for my Cancun trip in Nov.

TS
TS
smaug

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
pics look good.
details on underwater rig??

Use a larger aperture (f/2.8 instead of f/8 for example) to decrease your DOF and your pics will pop out a bit more. Move your off camera light to the side as well. Keep trying young padwan and you'll get there. :bigthumb:

What did you use for your underwater housing? I need to rent one for my 5D II for my Cancun trip in Nov.

I'm a DIY type guy.. so I used my canon sd780is with the canon housing and rigged a sealife "digital flash" to the diffuser using some jbweld and waterweld.. I'll post pics of it tonight if i can remember.. i learned that it is very difficult to dial everything in together when using the strobe as a slave.. with a dslr and housing the investment is well over $3000 for a housing and strobes..

here is a link to the strobe i used:
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/accessories/digital_flash.html

in total I have <$375 into the camera, the housing, the strobe and the handle..

I also have a Canon sd550 with underwater housing and the sealife dc600 camera with it's underwater housing.

The most difficult thing is white balance and getting the pics to look correct without being blown out.

I was messing around with aperature quite a bit, ill see what else i have these were a few that stuck out to me :bigthumb:

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
I'm a DIY type guy.. so I used my canon sd780is with the canon housing and rigged a sealife "digital flash" to the diffuser using some jbweld and waterweld.. I'll post pics of it tonight if i can remember.. i learned that it is very difficult to dial everything in together when using the strobe as a slave.. with a dslr and housing the investment is well over $3000 for a housing and strobes..

here is a link to the strobe i used:
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/accessories/digital_flash.html

in total I have <$375 into the camera, the housing, the strobe and the handle..

I also have a Canon sd550 with underwater housing and the sealife dc600 camera with it's underwater housing.

The most difficult thing is white balance and getting the pics to look correct without being blown out.

I was messing around with aperature quite a bit, ill see what else i have these were a few that stuck out to me :bigthumb:

That's sick...those shots look really good, P&S or not. Maybe invest in a slightly nicer P&S (S90 comes to mind) that allows you to shoot in raw so you can solve a lot of the WB issues?

Great stuff man and congrats again! :bigthumb:

TS
TS
smaug

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
That's sick...those shots look really good, P&S or not. Maybe invest in a slightly nicer P&S (S90 comes to mind) that allows you to shoot in raw so you can solve a lot of the WB issues?

Great stuff man and congrats again! :bigthumb:

I actually brought a white card with me on a few dives.. I'll share some of those pics tonight when i get home..

I figured i'd try CHDK on my sd780 as well, but it was buggy as fuck and the raw files need to be converted for lightroom to read them so i gave up using that quickly..

I also made a diffuser out of a milk carton for the underwater strobe.. helped on a few macro shots but not much overall and it kept falling out so i ditched it.

anyone with any more C&C on the pics of the wife?
-how are the poses?
-how are the locations?
-how can i improve my off camera lighting? (was using my 480exII on the camera and a cheapo external on a light stand.. didn't bother bringing an umbrella cause the wind would have taken it for a flight)
-more interesting subject?

be brutal, i don't care :eek3: :noes:

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
anyone with any more C&C on the pics of the wife?
-how are the poses?
-how are the locations?
-how can i improve my off camera lighting? (was using my 480exII on the camera and a cheapo external on a light stand.. didn't bother bringing an umbrella cause the wind would have taken it for a flight)
-more interesting subject?

be brutal, i don't care :eek3: :noes:

First shot of D. The pose isn't "bad" but you see how her right eye is almost gone? That's a no no. Have her turn her head toward the camera and you've got a better shot. Or have her turn her head away from the camera for a pure silhouette shot. The branches behind her are not doing you any favors either. Too confusing of a background. Lighting is fine.

Shot #2. This has all the makings of an epic shot if:
Her left hand was placed across her lap.
The light was moved farther left of camera. It's too close to the camera.
Her head was turned toward her right shoulder.

I like her body position otherwise.

Shot #3. Not bad. But not great. The light is too close to the camera. On this shot, I would have moved the light around to the camera right. Remember How I positioned the light during a lot of your wedding shots? It was nearly at right angles to the camera. Also, there is too much DOF in this shot. I know it's hard to shoot at wider apertures when you're outside but thats where ND filters really help. But shooting at smaller apertures is fine as long as you don't have a busy background or your background is integral to the photo. Her pose is "ok" but could be improved by having her bend her body into more of an "S" curve rather than the "C" curve that she's in.

Shot #4. I like this shot but having D posed a bit more dramatic would help. Maybe place her in the road instead of leaning against the building would produce a better composition.

Shot #5. Too much DOF. As you said, her expression isn't the best either. I probably would have had her put her right arm up the side of the pier or whatever that is and try to get that "S" shape working. Lighting is actually quite good on this shot. Horizon is pelted just a tad.

You've got it in you to produce better work. Keep working at it.

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
Here's what helps me personally...and like Colman said, the good thing about you is you're wanting to get better and actually shooting.

Posing will make or break a shot a lot of the time...look at your favorite and some really successful photographers websites (2 notable photographers posted here for example) and grab a bunch of pictures that really stand out and then examine the poses, the lighting, and other aspects and try to recreate those.

I've gone as far as drawing poses on a piece of paper...then got to the site an hour early, walked around and drew a mental map of which pose would go great here or there and it makes me feel 10x better. Better prepared, more confident, etc.

Basically, just try to replicate the work that you see and that'll be a huge step and shouldn't be too hard...just save a bunch of pictures on your phone and then scroll through them and try to memorize a few great ones.

Hope that helps a bit...more than, "K."

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec