Film Crue: Civil War. Josh Wheton's contributions to the art of film will be thoroughly evaluated ITT. What side are you on?

KneeGar

I can see you, but my eyes are not allowed to cry
OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
this is another must buy for me, coming January or February

moodysson_3d_slipcover_us.jpg

5fjIVoT.jpg

LIMITED EDITION BOXSET CONTENTS

• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of all seven films
• Original DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround and 2.0 stereo mixes for all seven films
• Optional English subtitles for all films, plus English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on Mammoth and the English version of Container
• New video interviews with Lukas Moodysson and other cast and crew, moderated by film programmer Sarah Lutton
• 200-page hardback book featuring new writing by Peter Walsh, excerpts from the original press kits for each film, including interviews with and directors’ statements from Moodysson, and essays on his films from a 2014 special issue of the Nordic culture journal Scandinavica by C. Claire Thomson, Helga H. Lúthersdóttir, Elina Nilsson, Scott MacKenzie & Anna Westerståhl Stenport and Kjerstin Moody

DISC ONE – ****ING ÅMÅL (aka SHOW ME LOVE)

• 2K restoration by the Swedish Film Institute, approved by director Lukas Moodysson and cinematographer Ulf Brantås
• New interview with Lukas Moodysson
• New interview with star Alexandra Dahlström
• Did You Know She’s A Lesbian?, an appreciation by Dr. Clara Bradbury-Rance, author of Lesbian Cinema After Queer Theory
• Talk (Bara prata lite), a short film directed by Moodysson in 1997
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery

DISC TWO – TOGETHER

• 4K restoration by the Swedish Film Institute from the original camera negative, approved by director Lukas Moodysson and cinematographer Ulf Brantås
• New interview with script supervisor Malin Fornander
• New interview with editor Michal Leszczylowski
• Deleted scenes
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery

DISC THREE – LILYA 4-EVER

• New interview with costume designer Denise Östholm
• Guardian Interview with Lukas Moodysson, a Q&A with the director filmed at the London Film Festival in 2002
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery

DISC FOUR – A HOLE IN MY HEART / CONTAINER

• New interviews with Lukas Moodysson on both films
• Lukas Moodysson Masterclass, an interview with the director filmed at London’s National Film & Television School in 2004
• A Hole in My Second Heart, a behind-the-scenes featurette from 2004
• Swedish and English narration options for Container
• Inside the Container Crypt, a 2007 featurette on the themes of Container
• Theatrical trailers and image galleries for both films

DISC FIVE – MAMMOTH

• New interview with line producer Malte Forssell
• Promotional interviews with Moodysson and Gael Garcia Bernal from 2009
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery

DISC SIX – WE ARE THE BEST!

• New interview with cinematographer Ulf Brantås
• A New Expression, a look at the background to the film by Swedish punk historian David Andersson
• Q&A from the 2013 London Film Festival screening, featuring Moodysson and stars Liv LeMoyne and Mira Barkhammar
• Theatrical trailer
• Image gallery

I think Fucking Åmål / Lilya 4-ever are masterpieces. Together / We Are the Best! are p top tier as well. Very excited to revisit them all. I havent seen the other features or shorts included in this set, though I can't imagine them being bad. Looking forward to drinking them up.

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
this is another must buy for me, coming January or February

View attachment 270877

View attachment 270878

I think Fucking Åmål / Lilya 4-ever are masterpieces. Together / We Are the Best! are p top tier as well. Very excited to revisit them all. I havent seen the other features or shorts included in this set, though I can't imagine them being bad. Looking forward to drinking them up.
Love his stuff

Joe_Cool

Judge Judy and Executioner
OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
Whoever is working these cameras sure likes lateral tracking shots. It can't be jarmusch, it looks too good.

:oopsie:

@KneeGar

Joe_Cool

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
Didn't really care for down by law. It strikes me as basically a worse version of The Defiant Ones, with an extra extraneous character.

I think maybe Jarmusch just doesn't work for me.

• Angry
Reactions: Sphygmo

Joe_Cool

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
And the fork in the road ending was way too obvious. Saw it coming as soon as she started describing it.

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
Didn't really care for down by law. It strikes me as basically a worse version of The Defiant Ones, with an extra extraneous character.

I think maybe Jarmusch just doesn't work for me.
appreciate the attempt

Reactions: Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
Tbh I wonder if it was deliberately JJ's personal take on The Defiant Ones. Once we got into jail, it's the same movie almost beat for beat. :hmm:

Joe_Cool

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
Whoa. The cinematographer went on to do Korczak, about the Polish teacher who chose to go to Auschwitz with his students rather than accept the Germans' offer to be "pardoned" because they respected him so much as a teacher.

Joe_Cool

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
I'll say this. I'd rather watch Down By Law 100 times than rewatch Ghost Dog once. :run:

Sorry it took me so long, @KneeGar, but it's been hectic. :o

Reactions: KneeGar

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
Tbh I wonder if it was deliberately JJ's personal take on The Defiant Ones. Once we got into jail, it's the same movie almost beat for beat. :hmm:
I haven't seen that one, but possibly. What sets Jarmusch apart from others is the style of his form normally not his plots.

Joe_Cool

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
I haven't seen that one, but possibly. What sets Jarmusch apart from others is the style of his form normally not his plots.
I've seen two versions of it (1958 Tony Curtis/Sidney Poitier, 1986 Carl Weathers/Robert Urich), and they were both great.

Reactions: KneeGar

MiseryIndex

open your eyes child, your sea is changing.
Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.
anyone see the new hulu a24 movie stars at noon yet?

i'm not sure i've ever been made to feel so dumb during a movie before, i understood the basic beats but overall had no fucking clue what was going on. and it absolutely did not need to be over 2 hours.

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
anyone see the new hulu a24 movie stars at noon yet?

i'm not sure i've ever been made to feel so dumb during a movie before, i understood the basic beats but overall had no fucking clue what was going on. and it absolutely did not need to be over 2 hours.
Yes and I thought it was phenomenal. Not so much a romance but a romance under the circumstances of impending and inevitable doom. Claire Denis really is one of the best.

• Wow
Reactions: Sphygmo

MiseryIndex

Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.
Yes and I thought it was phenomenal. Not so much a romance but a romance under the circumstances of impending and inevitable doom. Claire Denis really is one of the best.
reviews seem pretty mixed in terms of how it adapted the story. and i'm not mad at the direction at all, maybe the editing? 2 hours 18 minutes when there were tons and tons of scenes of just people walking slowly, or feet..a lot of feet. i know some of it was to make a point, and immerse you in their life. but it started to feel long.

i don't want to get into spoilers here, and maybe its a reflection of me, but i struggled with what was going on at various points. and there were so many plot conveniences.

Joe_Cool

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
Criterion popped up a collection of 80s horror, so I watched The Hidden for the 100th or so time. What a great little movie. :bowdown:

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
reviews seem pretty mixed in terms of how it adapted the story. and i'm not mad at the direction at all, maybe the editing? 2 hours 18 minutes when there were tons and tons of scenes of just people walking slowly, or feet..a lot of feet. i know some of it was to make a point, and immerse you in their life. but it started to feel long.

i don't want to get into spoilers here, and maybe its a reflection of me, but i struggled with what was going on at various points. and there were so many plot conveniences.
I'm pretty much the last person to care about things being true to their source material or reviews in general :o

as for this movie, one of Denis' strongest characteristics has always been 'beautiful bodies in motion' so it's understandble that if the lingering pulse of images which showcase these bodies aren't working for you, you're already at a disadvantage to liking it

MiseryIndex

Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.
I'm pretty much the last person to care about things being true to their source material or reviews in general :o

as for this movie, one of Denis' strongest characteristics has always been 'beautiful bodies in motion' so it's understandble that if the lingering pulse of images which showcase these bodies aren't working for you, you're already at a disadvantage to liking it

i appreciated it in parts. and its not about being true to the source material even. slow burn/tense is one thing, but i felt it could've used some editing down for some of those just laying in the back of the car driving scenes. or ordering drinks even lol. to turn a short 181 page book into 138 minutes, damn.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6