Film Crue: Civil War. Josh Wheton's contributions to the art of film will be thoroughly evaluated ITT. What side are you on?

KneeGar

I can see you, but my eyes are not allowed to cry
OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
i appreciated it in parts. and its not about being true to the source material even. slow burn/tense is one thing, but i felt it could've used some editing down for some of those just laying in the back of the car driving scenes. or ordering drinks even lol. to turn a short 181 page book into 138 minutes, damn.
could have used 20 more minutes of Qualley's feet :p

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Cool

Foe

OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
a few thoughts on the movies I saw last week

Death Proof (Tarantino) - This is always a real pleasure to watch. I find it the most pure Q has ever been, cinematically speaking. The editing to start with is magical. From the cuts that happen mid scene, to the repeated skips that provide a seemingly authentic, albeit faux, grindhouse enrapturement. I still like the more sprawling feeling of his last three films, but the snappiness of Sally Menke's editing in his films prior was major for their stint. The protagonist switch goes down in the most grandiose fashion. Highlighting each of the four girl's deaths by beginning with Russel's flick of the headlights. Then much like Psycho, or other protagonist switch movies, something wholly new starts. A brief stint in the hospital with a few characters that connect it to the then double feature of Planet Terror, and then a a time jump to a new collection of girls. This time in black in white for a stretch, until a soda can drops from a vending machine and we're thrown into a burst of color. Popping out immediately is an alternate version of the vivid yellow Pussy Wagon from Kill Bill, shining in the daylight. Where the first half of the movie was mostly in the late afternoon / evening, the second half is all sunshine, a clear representation for the turning tides to come. I think this is Q's most in love with making movies he has ever been, loading it from top to bottom with movie references from old and references from his own movie universes (more so than what he often does). We're left with a hilarious Kurt Russel crying and pleading for mercy and a final scene of more female empowerment than Jackie Brown or Kill Bill put together. Tarantino, if you end up making more than ten films, please make more horror.
Interesting. For some reason it's the only QT I've let slip by all these years.

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
No better time to remedy this than now.. or something.

Anyways, nice to smell ya man. :kiss:

To tie this to the post you quoted, stay here for a while.. see what happens.

Reactions: Foe

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006

“Greatest movie this year. Fantastic … Another tender movie! It’s beautiful to see Cronenberg, who has been constantly seen as a very in control filmmaker with a very clinical coldness to his art, which is true, being so warm and so tender. It’s a beautiful love story and it’s also a very devastating vision of the future. It’s amazing.”

I agree with you, Luca!

Reactions: Sphygmo

Foe

OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
No better time to remedy this than now.. or something.

Anyways, nice to smell ya man. :kiss:

To tie this to the post you quoted, stay here for a while.. see what happens.
you as well

was reading about Decision to Leave the other day. Excited for it. Thought of yall of course.

Reactions: Sphygmo and KneeGar

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
you as well

was reading about Decision to Leave the other day. Excited for it. Thought of yall of course.
That reminds me, I finally took a dive on Giri/Haji a few weeks ago. Liked it a lot. Some truly engaging stylistic flourishes. Especially on the roof in that final episode. Apologies for not getting to it sooner.

Joe_Cool

Judge Judy and Executioner
OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
Congrats Joe on the marriage :)
She just made me green chile stew and cornbread, all from scratch. Life is gooooood. :big grin:

By any chance have you been keeping up with Korean film? Any new stuff we need to see? :x:

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Nah, don't think I've heard of it
It felt kind of like a Sean Baker movie (florida project) but was about a waitress that almost gets suckered into becoming a prostitute against her will

Apparently a true story. Good shit

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Watched "It happened one night" really good movie y'all should check it out when get a chance.

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Watched "It happened one night" really good movie y'all should check it out when get a chance.

Seen it, was great

Reactions: stevezissou

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Eh I saw Death proof in theaters when it came out.

Wasn't impressed, one of QT's weakest movies even he has admitted as such.

5.5/10 and that is being generous

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6