Film Crue: Civil War. Josh Wheton's contributions to the art of film will be thoroughly evaluated ITT. What side are you on?

Keksim

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
1. kill bill
2. pulp fiction
3. reservoir dogs
4. hateful 8
5. once upon a time in hollywood
6. inglorious basterds
7. django
8. death proof

have not seen jackie brown

Jackie Brown's really good. Definitely his most chill/grounded movie, which makes sense because it's based on someone else's novel

KneeGar

I can see you, but my eyes are not allowed to cry
OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
the Goof Who Sat by the Door episode of Atlanta was wonderful. An instant classic and one of my favorites from its entire run. I'm a little sad I'll only ever have two more new episodes of this show.

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
la cienaga great for sure @KneeGar

figured it had to be semi-autobiographical based on how authentic it all felt and looked it up to confirm it indeed was. what a maelstrom of a home environment tho, everything was quite unsettling throughout. pretty masterful debut effort

can easily see how her upbringing led her to the recurring motifs of colonialism and imperialism as well

• Love
Reactions: KneeGar

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
la cienaga great for sure @KneeGar

figured it had to be semi-autobiographical based on how authentic it all felt and looked it up to confirm it indeed was. what a maelstrom of a home environment tho, everything was quite unsettling throughout. pretty masterful debut effort

can easily see how her upbringing led her to the recurring motifs of colonialism and imperialism as well
Awesome! Glad it worked for you as much as it did for me. Very unsettling stuff, I agree. Right from the start with the almost unbearable noise of the chairs being scraped on concrete. Her use of sound is ridiculously good. Masterful indeed.

Reactions: Sphygmo

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Awesome! Glad it worked for you as much as it did for me. Very unsettling stuff, I agree. Right from the start with the almost unbearable noise of the chairs being scraped on concrete. Her use of sound is ridiculously good. Masterful indeed.
the wife was very impressed by it as well, she hasn't seen zama. think we'll just make our way through her filmog now

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
the wife was very impressed by it as well, she hasn't seen zama. think we'll just make our way through her filmog now
Hell yeah. Her other two features are equally as fascinating as the two you've seen, so they should definitely work for you just in completely new ways. That range is real.. Looking forward to seeing what y'all think of them.

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
I revisited the first two Pusher films these past few days and they're still pretty fucking amaze. That neon / synth underworld he's famous for in his later works is still present in both, which I didn't fully recall, it just hadn't morphed into the gonzo hyperstylized paintings we see from him today. His oeuvre has to be one of my most admired progressions going on right now. Main reason I did this though was because Pusher III is the only Refn movie I haven't seen and it's long overdue for a watch. Before Copenhagen Cowboy comes out next month. I already rewatched both Valhalla Rising and Drive earlier this year too so maybe I'll just rewatch the others sometime this month as well.

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
Also never dawned on me for some reason that your avatar you had for a period years ago @Foe was from the opening scene in the prison in II. Poor Tonny he was a good lad.

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
I revisited the first two Pusher films these past few days and they're still pretty fucking amaze. That neon / synth underworld he's famous for in his later works is still present in both, which I didn't fully recall, it just hadn't morphed into the gonzo hyperstylized paintings we see from him today. His oeuvre has to be one of my most admired progressions going on right now. Main reason I did this though was because Pusher III is the only Refn movie I haven't seen and it's long overdue for a watch. Before Copenhagen Cowboy comes out next month. I already rewatched both Valhalla Rising and Drive earlier this year too so maybe I'll just rewatch the others sometime this month as well.

3 was my least fav but it was a pretty damn good series

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
3 was my least fav but it was a pretty damn good series
Yeah it was. I ended up liking III about equally with the others. A little more muted than the rest and maybe a bit more mature? That last act with Buric's old friend was pretty gnarly.

Reactions: Foe

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
Very addicted to this Ragnarok game right now. Cutting into my movie watching time. I've only been able to see 8 films since it was released. :hsugh:

• Wow

Foe

OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Yeah it was. I ended up liking III about equally with the others. A little more muted than the rest and maybe a bit more mature? That last act with Buric's old friend was pretty gnarly.
I loved Pusher III. Love crime dramas that explore the difficulties of addiction; the inevitability of the downfall when your world, your business, may involve the substance to which you are helplessly drawn.

It'a a cold, stark, brutal film, just like the world it depicts. Milo is smart, savvy, even classy; his instincts have worked well for him, all those years in the underbelly. Sad little king of a sad little hill.

Unfortunately for him there is no way out once you've invested a certain amount of time in that dark world, and it is no country for old men. The players in his realm won't let him leave and even if they did, the normal world has nothing for him. The heroin can help at least, for today.

--
Zlatko Buric is fucking brilliant in it. One of my favorite performances of all time.

• Love
Reactions: Sphygmo and KneeGar

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6