Film Crue: Civil War. Josh Wheton's contributions to the art of film will be thoroughly evaluated ITT. What side are you on?

KneeGar

I can see you, but my eyes are not allowed to cry
OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
Thoughts on some 22 films I've seen in the past week. Sorry @preston and @Sphygmo, I'll get to Andor and All at Once soon.

Skinamarink (Ball)

Very unsettling. Much taut. I don't know if this would work well for people needing a clear narrative or story, but it will work well for people who can submit to its alienating and unwavering sensory nature. I'll need more time for it to sit with me to figure out if I'd call it my favorite thing I've seen this year, but at the very least I think it is clearly the most interesting film I have seen this year.

Armageddon Time (Gray)

I had hoped this would take us back to Gray's New York and erase the disappointing effort out of my mouth that is Ad Astra, and it did exactly that. This goes back into the city for Gray's usual classicism filled take on old Hollywood pictures. An appropriate swing on race, workers and family just before the Reagan administration in 1980. Without being overbearing or cloying in these themes like many can be these days. A very worthy addition to his already grand filmography. It's nice to be welcomed back into Gray's mastery.

Fresh (Cave)

This has some good bits(bites?) that had me wishing I liked it more overall. At its worst it throws a bunch of gotcha moments out that rarely land as well as it thinks it does. And at its best it comes across like a bad imitation of Mikkelson / Fuller's Hannibal.

Deception (Desplechin)

For my second Desplechin he is already giving me the feeling that I need to see his entire oeuvre. There is something of a stage play feeling about this one (a compliment), that treats adultery, carnality, creation, disease / inevitability of death, Israel and much more all in intelligent digressions. All while Léa Seydoux is quietly illustrious. Seydoux is on quite a run right now.

Fourth of July (C.K.)

This would probably work better for some if Louie wasn't the head. Which is a shame, because like with all his work, this has hilarious moments throughout and is actually a bit life affirming. After his sitcom Louie and Horace and Pete it's clear to me that his true talents are as a director. And I hope he continues this trend in the future.

Benediction (Davies)

An excellent war film without really being a war film. Playing out more as a rumination on the life of a homosexual man who was born in the wrong era, without even feeling much like that either. Equally subtle and understated. I need to go deeper into Davies' work.

the Eternal Daughter (Hogg)

In some ways the Souvenir part III. A mystery that presents itself as some kind of ghost story, that transforms into something much deeper and ultimately more rewarding. Swinton is Swinton, and she plays two roles here so my Tilda fix was definitely satiated.

Reactions: Sphygmo and preston

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006

It's time

Reactions: Joe_Cool

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
If anyone would like a free month trial to mubi to check this or other things let me know

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
just watched eps 3/4 of severance, this show is legit great

adam scott continually surprising me in this one. dude is crushing

you should absolutely check it out @KneeGar. such an intriguing premise with just tip top execution

• Wow
Reactions: KneeGar and rcm

MiseryIndex

open your eyes child, your sea is changing.
Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.
just watched eps 3/4 of severance, this show is legit great

adam scott continually surprising me in this one. dude is crushing

you should absolutely check it out @KneeGar. such an intriguing premise with just tip top execution

i found the first half of the season dragged like crazy, but built enough intrigue to keep going. and ultimately so completely worth the payoff.

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
i found the first half of the season dragged like crazy, but built enough intrigue to keep going. and ultimately so completely worth the payoff.
Ain't dragging for me

Such an interesting/hellish concept and world they've created here

MiseryIndex

open your eyes child, your sea is changing.
Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.
Ain't dragging for me

Such an intriguing/hellish concept and world they've created here

i maintain severance is a solid idea widely misused in the show. i understand work/life balance but i just want to be severed so i can fall asleep/stay asleep.

imagine getting to go to sleep every night as an actual baby with no life or work memories, or really anything to think about.

• Wow
Reactions: Sphygmo

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
i maintain severance is a solid idea widely misused in the show. i understand work/life balance but i just want to be severed so i can fall asleep/stay asleep.

imagine getting to go to sleep every night as an actual baby with no life or work memories, or really anything to think about.
Dude so many times I wake up from dreaming about work like holy shit why am I dreaming about this right now

Keksim

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
I'm starting the LotR extended editions. Don't think I've ever seen the longer cuts of Two Towers or Return of the King so those will be interesting

12 hours tho :o that's like a season of GoT

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
I'm starting the LotR extended editions. Don't think I've ever seen the longer cuts of Two Towers or Return of the King so those will be interesting

12 hours tho :o that's like a season of GoT
Wow how have you not seen them

Extendeds or bust, this is well known

Keksim

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
Wow how have you not seen them

Extendeds or bust, this is well known

I'll blame my aunt for only giving my family the extended cut of Fellowship for Christmas but not the others lol jk. It was cool but the theatrical versions of TT and RotK are so tightly paced that I was skeptical and not really interested in the extended versions

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
I'll blame my aunt for only giving my family the extended cut of Fellowship for Christmas but not the others lol jk. It was cool but the theatrical versions of TT and RotK are so tightly paced that I was skeptical and not really interested in the extended versions
Everything that's added is crucial in terms of fully fleshing out the story and making the ending resonate just that much more

ostinato

OT Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
For anyone who's never seen this, it's one of the most wonderful, life-affirming and pure videos out there. Oh Angelo, you're breaking my heart.

• Love
Reactions: KneeGar

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6