Film Crue: Civil War. Josh Wheton's contributions to the art of film will be thoroughly evaluated ITT. What side are you on?

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
1. “TÁR”
2. “Aftersun”
3. “The Banshees of Inisherin”
4. “Everything Everywhere All At Once”
5. “The Fabelmans”
6. “Decision to Leave”
7. “Nope”
8. “RRR”
9. “Top Gun: Maverick”
10. “All the Beauty and the Bloodshed”

critical consensus top 10

go see aftersun immediately @rcm

• Wow
Reactions: rcm

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
tar is certainly the movie to beat for me this year tho. doubt anything will but always like a pleasant surprise

rcm

Bully Troll Crew
OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
Woah, Banshees of Inisherin was added to HBO Max if anyone hasn't seen yet.

Had no idea it'd be streaming so soon

KneeGar

I can see you, but my eyes are not allowed to cry
OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
the Banshees of Inisherin ended up being one of my biggest surprises of the year. You could say I was close to giving up on McDonagh after his past two superficial masturbatory pieces of drivel left me wondering if In Bruges was even that good to begin with. That all changes some with this, as he finally gets back to his Bruges level of quality interplay and geographical elegance. In Banshees he is at his most simple, thoughtful and strikingly elemental. A story that at its heart is just about what it means to be a friend. Maybe Farrell's best offering this side of his Lanthimos works. His reteaming with Gleeson is just what the doctor ordered for McDonagh, and their feudal dissolves capture an admirable thematic resonance to what is happening off island in the film's background. I'm not sure if it's as witty as his debut, but it may very well be his most accomplished.

rcm

Bully Troll Crew
OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
the Banshees of Inisherin ended up being one of my biggest surprises of the year. You could say I was close to giving up on McDonagh after his past two superficial masturbatory pieces of drivel left me wondering if In Bruges was even that good to begin with. That all changes some with this, as he finally gets back to his Bruges level of quality interplay and geographical elegance. In Banshees he is at his most simple, thoughtful and strikingly elemental. A story that at its heart is just about what it means to be a friend. Maybe Farrell's best offering this side of his Lanthimos works. His reteaming with Gleeson is just what the doctor ordered for McDonagh, and their feudal dissolves capture an admirable thematic resonance to what is happening off island in the film's background. I'm not sure if it's as witty as his debut, but it may very well be his most accomplished.
You didn't like Three Billboards? :ugh:

digital jello

i'll be jeans soon
OT Supporter
Mar 14, 2006
fablemans was alright. shame how the life story of one of the best directors of all time feels like a typical hollywood lovefest oscar grab

Last edited:

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Seven psychopaths was def a few steps down but three billys was great.

Raucously entertaining, incisive as fuck, Frances mcd nearly at her best

Fuckin loved it

Reactions: ostinato

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
Don't get that take at all but to each their own
Yeah I hated it and had the same reaction to 'not getting' the takes of people who loved it. Extremely overwritten and manipulative. Setting the plot contrivances aside, which is hard to do, it's just a terrible diluge of awful characters yelling at each other with uninteresting dialogue which ultimately bored me. :o

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
I'm just glad he toned it down for Banshees. Wonderful little work.

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
I'm just glad he toned it down for Banshees. Wonderful little work.
I definitely appreciated this one but I did have an issue

gleesons propensity for self harm seemed so out of proportion to his demands on the cessation of their friendship that I had a hard time buying into that scenario. It was completely at odds with what he was claiming to want to do with the remainder of his life. Dunno I struggled with that throughout the view

I understand the extremity to which mental illness can take someone but this seemed quite outrageous

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Yeah I hated it and had the same reaction to 'not getting' the takes of people who loved it. Extremely overwritten and manipulative. Setting the plot contrivances aside, which is hard to do, it's just a terrible diluge of awful characters yelling at each other with uninteresting dialogue which ultimately bored me. :o
What plot contrivances btw

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
I definitely appreciated this one but I did have an issue

gleesons propensity for self harm seemed so out of proportion to his demands on the cessation of their friendship that I had a hard time buying into that scenario. It was completely at odds with what he was claiming to want to do with the remainder of his life. Dunno I struggled with that throughout the view

I understand the extremity to which mental illness can take someone but this seemed quite outrageous
I can see that. I caught on to the futility of the Irish Civil War allegory pretty early on so the realism here never bothered me.

Reactions: Sphygmo

KneeGar

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
What plot contrivances btw
Mostly in how McDonagh depicts small town Americana like some kind of voyeuristic tourist filling up their shopping bag to the brim with hot button issues like rape, police brutality, domestic violence and racism, holding them up briefly for viewers to ogle before moving on to the next one, without any semblance of fleshing things out or engaging with them at all, just as quickly as the last as if this would be a true representation of the area he is attempting to indict or in morality as a whole. I enjoy cynicism, but it was just cynical without having anything much to say for me.

Reactions: Sphygmo

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Mostly in how McDonagh depicts small town Americana like some kind of voyeuristic tourist filling up their shopping bag to the brim with hot button issues like rape, police brutality, domestic violence and racism, holding them up briefly for viewers to ogle before moving on to the next one, without any semblance of fleshing things out or engaging with them at all, just as quickly as the last as if this would be a true representation of the area he is attempting to indict or in morality as a whole. I enjoy cynicism, but it was just cynical without having anything much to say for me.
Interesting

I can see that actually

Reactions: KneeGar

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
my plex daddy had uploaded it so i gave it a watch yesterday
So I haven't cared for a Spielberg movie since Lincoln until west side story remake surprised me last year

So I feel like this one could go either way for me. Fuckin love some dano tho

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6