Film Crue: Civil War. Josh Wheton's contributions to the art of film will be thoroughly evaluated ITT. What side are you on?

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Rewatched Interstellar today. I actually enjoyed it a lot this 2nd time. Back when it came out, I was a big fan of really serious/grounded feeling sci-fi movies like 2001, so I was pretty disappointed when Interstellar, The Martian, and Gravity were released because I wanted them to be that way but they weren't at all lol

Anyway for a Christopher Nolan movie it's pretty good. Probably still not in my top 5 but the visuals are stunning and the story/music gave me a lot of feels. After this, I am willing to give The Martian and Gravity another shot with different expectations
The martians script is such crap lol. The iron man moment was absolute cringe

It's a fine movie in a lot of ways but the script just kills it for me

Keksim

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
The martians script is such crap lol. The iron man moment was absolute cringe

It's a fine movie in a lot of ways but the script just kills it for me

All I remember is it felt kind of repetitive. Like an issue would come up, then he'd solve it in 2 seconds and be like "and that's the power of science :cool: "

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
All I remember is it felt kind of repetitive. Like an issue would come up, then he'd solve it in 2 seconds and be like "and that's the power of science :cool: "
they make absolutely sure that the audience knows whats going on at all times with tons of exposition

hate that shit

Reactions: Keksim and Sphygmo

KneeGar

I can see you, but my eyes are not allowed to cry
OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2006
Lol fkn leto

Blonde with a ton of noms wtf @KneeGar
pretty amusing, likely rising in people's fondness for it with years of separation from release similar to the Shining, the Thing and Showgirls when they all received razzie nominations initially

good on the academy for propelling de Armas with a well deserved best actress nomination amidst a year of toxic overblown reactions towards her and the film

Reactions: Sphygmo

Joe_Cool

Judge Judy and Executioner
OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
I think I need to rewatch The House Of The Devil and The Innkeepers. I loved those both, and haven't seen them in ages.

Reactions: KneeGar

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
holy crap @KneeGar vortex absolutely wrecked me

i wasn't expecting it to be as deeply affecting as it was. the mundanity of their daily life at the start didn't prepare me for just how dark it became in the back half. just a fucking nightmare from which there was no escape.

argento and his wife's plights were so fraught and believable, i couldn't help but feel deep empathy and sadness as the movie progressed. wonder why argento decided to learn french and take the lead role in this? he was masterful tho.

argento having the heart attack had me so shook, the nightmarish red lighting as he left their room, him gasping and in horrible pain. fuck man.

their son just going for that last moment of being held by his mom after he passed. the tears were flowin bruh.

and then to see their belongings slowly removed from their cluttered home, the last vestiges of their existence flowing away much like their lives had. ye this movie crushed me

• Love
Reactions: KneeGar

Keksim

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
I was at a used book store today and I got Gravity and the Ghost Rider movies on blu-ray for like $4 each :cool: lol never seen the latter but I'm in the mood for some corny comic book movies

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
I was at a used book store today and I got Gravity and the Ghost Rider movies on blu-ray for like $4 each :cool: lol never seen the latter but I'm in the mood for some corny comic book movies
Curious for your thoughts on gravity rewatch

sans_pants

OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
i watched from dusk til dawn for the first time since i was like 13

we rented it like 3 halloweens in a row

im glad it didnt awaken anything in me

Keksim

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
Curious for your thoughts on gravity rewatch

I'm open to it being enjoyable for what it is. Pretty sure I watched it on a laptop last time, so I'm looking forward to it not looking like shit on an OLED lol it sounds like a lot of the immersion/appeal comes from the visual experience

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
I'm open to it being enjoyable for what it is. Pretty sure I watched it on a laptop last time, so I'm looking forward to it not looking like shit on an OLED lol it sounds like a lot of the immersion/appeal comes from the visual experience
Watching a movie that was meant to be seen on the biggest screen imaginable on a fkn laptop

Mang

• Haha
Reactions: Keksim

sans_pants

OT Supporter
May 2, 2002

surround sound?

Keksim

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
I rewatched Gravity. The first third was actually a lot more serious/interesting than I remembered - the initial accident, moments of finding dead bodies, etc. were intense. The rest of the movie got a little schmaltzy and none of the later action scenes were nearly as engaging. Visually it's a masterpiece. I'd give it like a 7

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonct