ART film users: refrigerate?

yaygrr

Nov 9, 2003
Houston, TX
aside from disposables, i've never really used film before, but i'm taking 4 photo classes this semester, 2 of which required me to purchase several rolls of b&w film — ilford delta pro 3200 & ilford hp5+ 400 — what's the best way to store before using? fridge? out in my apartment that's under 75ºF at all times? any add'l advise would be appreciated :hsd:

TS
TS
yaygrr

yaygrr

Nov 9, 2003
Houston, TX
ok, thanks! btw, does it matter how they're stored in the fridge? super tight vacuum sealed, ziploc, or just in the canister?

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
ok, thanks! btw, does it matter how they're stored in the fridge? super tight vacuum sealed, ziploc, or just in the canister?

I leave all of mine in the original packaging. Polaroid goes into a ziplock with the original box, sheet film is taped shut.

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
What are you going to learn shooting 'several' rolls of film?

Film is fun, do yourself a favour and shoot way more than you need to for the classes especially if you can develop in the school lab.

Chances are the first rolls you do will suck, so shooting more than required will give you a better chance of having good-ish results. Good results will be enjoyable and you'll have something nice to show at the end of the classes. Having shitty results will make you hate it and never want to shoot film again :o

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC

Film is fun, do yourself a favour and shoot way more than you need to for the classes especially if you can develop in the school lab.

Chances are the first rolls you do will suck, so shooting more than required will give you a better chance of having good-ish results. Good results will be enjoyable and you'll have something nice to show at the end of the classes. Having shitty results will make you hate it and never want to shoot film again :o

The worst feeling in the world is pulling your reels out of the tank only to find that you spooled everything on the same groove and it all stuck together. :(

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
The worst feeling in the world is pulling your reels out of the tank only to find that you spooled everything on the same groove and it all stuck together. :(
Not quite sure what you're describing

But I hasn't had a spooling related mishap yet :x:

I will though, eventually, and chances are it'll be one ofthe rolls of 6x6 I'm shooting for end of year folio :wtc:

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Not quite sure what you're describing

But I hasn't had a spooling related mishap yet :x:

I will though, eventually, and chances are it'll be one ofthe rolls of 6x6 I'm shooting for end of year folio :wtc:

Just wait, it'll happen to you at least once and you'll feel like killing yourself when it does. :(

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
Yeah I can has fun finding out for myself, thought you might have experience though

I'll probably do 10x10 ftw

Even though it's only 2 inches extra on the short side, ithe perception is that it's so much larger than 8x10

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
4x5 in 11x14?

:rofl: like a fucking boss

Absolutely. They all looked fantastic in a grid on the wall. I need to buy some new glass and reframe 'em.

47kZP.jpg

Just imagine a grid of 15 of these. :cool:

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
Fucking DOT! :hs:

EDIT: Actually what is worse was when I was in a B&W film class there were 4 of us in the dark room loading film onto spools, one girl says, "I can't see anything" and then goes *CLICK* and turns on the fucking light. I just about cunt punched her. She ruined 4 rolls of mine and two other students. After a second she said, "Oh! Oops!" and turned the light back off. All I could do is ask, "Are you really that stupid?"

TS
TS
yaygrr

yaygrr

Nov 9, 2003
Houston, TX

more than several, really — (6) 400 & (2) 3200 — but those were just the quantities given in the supply list; presumably because it's only 1 semester & the courses aren't exclusively (or even predominantly) film oriented...

thanks, i'll definitely make sure to shoot more than req'd & take advantage of the lab, especially since we don't have to pay for chemistry :cool:

sniper0423

Jan 2, 2007
Dallas
the semester I shot film, I think I shot through something along 30+ rolls of film in the studio and out and about for assignment. I ended up with 4 folio shots and a bunch of prints for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448