GUN First gun

Kama'aina

Oct 22, 2004
Hawaii
Just got this the other day. Never really shot a pistol before hopefully .45 is not to much. What can OT tell me about this gun?
1_18.jpg

2_19.jpg

1BadZ

Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi
Aug 21, 2000
STL
Welcome to the club! .45 acp was the chambering on my first firearm too and it isn't bad at all.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
great 1st gun

hell no .45 isn't too much, it's 1 of the greatest rounds made my mankind

(unless you're talking about prices of ammo when you say too much lol, cause 9mm would have been a much cheaper option for target practice with a 1st gun)

but even though the ammo is expensive (compared to 9mm) it's a great choice.

TS
TS
Kama'aina

Kama'aina

Oct 22, 2004
Hawaii
I guess the thread title is a bit misleading. My first handgun not my first gun. Anything that I need to know about the 1911? I heard dry firing it is ok but your not supposed to let the slide slam into battery with out a round chambered? Figures the first thing I do when I got it was rack it and hit the slide release and did just that a few times. Thanks for any info. Can't wait to put some rounds through this thing.

TS
TS
Kama'aina

Kama'aina

Oct 22, 2004
Hawaii
Unless you have money or don't like shooting, start reloading.

Don't have money and reloading seems tricky. Gun will probably not see as much rounds as it deserves but oh well. I did find a gun shop that sells 50 reloads for $27 a box. is that a decent deal?

TS
TS
Kama'aina

Kama'aina

Oct 22, 2004
Hawaii
Sounds like highway robbery to me. If I remember correctly I can reload .45 for ~9$ a box of 50.

PMC 17$ a box of 50

http://www.sgammo.com/product/pmc/50-rds-pmc-45-auto-230-grain-fmj-ammo
One of the few downsides to living in HI

We cannot ship to Alaska or Hawaii as transportation of ammunition by Air is prohibited by law in 49CFR. If you are a resident of one of these areas please do not attempt to purchase. Our system charges credit cards when the order is placed and if you make a purchase and are from an area listed above your order will be canceled and refund will be less up to 10% fee to cover the costs of moving funds from your account to ours and then back to yours.

I bought a brand new box of some federal ammo. 20rnd box for $30. Was one of the cheaper boxes in the store.

nine

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2004
so. cal.
i dont understand why people act like .45 has so much recoil. it's not bad at all.

price does suck though :o. look into reloading.

TS
TS
Kama'aina

Kama'aina

Oct 22, 2004
Hawaii

1911's are picky on mags. Do yours have the dimple on the follower? If not I highly suggest getting some.
I put a 100rnds through it the first time I shot it no problem. That was all slow shots though because the range doesn't allow rapid fire. The other day at an indoor range is when I had both jams and both were after 3 or 4 rapid fire shots. I have two magazines. One came with the gun and just seems to be a black no name one. The other is a brand new kimber mag. The Kimber seemed a lot smoother and easier to load. At the indoor range I had trouble even getting the magazine to lock in. I really had to slam it in to get it to lock. I don't know if it has a dimple or not.

kf4zht

Oct 7, 2005
Jasper, GA
I put a 100rnds through it the first time I shot it no problem. That was all slow shots though because the range doesn't allow rapid fire. The other day at an indoor range is when I had both jams and both were after 3 or 4 rapid fire shots. I have two magazines. One came with the gun and just seems to be a black no name one. The other is a brand new kimber mag. The Kimber seemed a lot smoother and easier to load. At the indoor range I had trouble even getting the magazine to lock in. I really had to slam it in to get it to lock. I don't know if it has a dimple or not.

My kimber is harder to load with the slide closed and a full mag. I always load with the chamber open unless I am doing reload practice. That being said you may still have some issues that can be corrected by the manufacturer or a good gunsmith. 1911's function wonderfully when tuned, however they are more complex than some other guns to get tuned in.

My kimber likes Shooting Star and Chip McCormick mags the best. Luckily the shooting stars are cheap. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor