ART First portrait session v. C&C

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
My gf finally got fed up with my self-loathing and let me do a mock photoshoot of her yesterday to try to help me out of it. Though, sadly there isn't any that particularly come out at me. :wtc: Here's what I came up with and what I learned:

• I need to work on getting my PP consistent.
  • I have absolutely no idea on posing. I've watched workshops and read articles, but the second I get out, I pretty much forget.
  • I'm still working on shooting with natural light only...I wish I had brought at least a reflector or something.
  • I know I've got a few things growing out of her head.
  • Simplest of all, I need to work on steadying my camera while I press the shutter. I thought I was fairly good, but a lot of my images aren't as sharp as they could have been. Looking back, I would've at least upped the ISO to gain some speed.
  • What metering mode do you guys mainly use?
  • Also, how do you guys get baller blue skies?

gySuc.jpg

9V8qS.jpg

xYaIz.jpg

vNCND.jpg

wzKnA.jpg

9sNwF.jpg

oxR2v.jpg

jeKh4.jpg

uQMki.jpg

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
PP consistency is difficult. It helps if all your pictures are exposed properly (which they seem to be). Manual mode is your friend if you are shooting the model in one place. The light isn't changing (or not quickly at least) so M mode will save you a lot of time balancing exposures between photos.

For WB and colours, a grey card or white bit of paper is a lifesaver imo.

And yup, I would try to go maybe 1 stop of ISO more than you need, just to make sure there's no motion blur. You can get away with ISO noise. You can get away with stuff being *slightly* OOF too. But it's so hard to get away with motion blur.. it tends to be very noticeable.

For blue skies - polariser helps (although it costs you about two stops of light), but a lot of it is down to PP. If you're shooting against a bright blue sky with the sun behind her, you'll probably need flash or a reflector at least. If the sun is behind you, she'll probably squint and look funny.

And finally, stop self-loathing. Those pics are good and your girlfriend looks fantastic! They could use a little more vibrancy in PP (i.e. look at her legs in pic 1.. they're very flat) but overall they're good imo. She looks natural, happy, pretty and fun... and your job as a photographer is to make her look good.

TS
TS
Aero277

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Thanks Marix. I'll definitely have to pick up a small gray card or tuck a sheet of paper into my bag. I figured for my first time, I'd use the semi-auto modes as a crutch, but I guess I can see how it worked against me. I'll go over them a bit in PP. I knew the legs looked a bit flat, I just wasn't sure what I'd do to touch them up.

FlashhslaF

Sep 17, 2003
the pictures need a bit of pop and a slight exposure bump on the subject.

#7 is niiiice!

MB300E87

Jun 4, 2001
California
PP consistency is difficult. It helps if all your pictures are exposed properly (which they seem to be). Manual mode is your friend if you are shooting the model in one place. The light isn't changing (or not quickly at least) so M mode will save you a lot of time balancing exposures between photos.

For WB and colours, a grey card or white bit of paper is a lifesaver imo.

And yup, I would try to go maybe 1 stop of ISO more than you need, just to make sure there's no motion blur. You can get away with ISO noise. You can get away with stuff being *slightly* OOF too. But it's so hard to get away with motion blur.. it tends to be very noticeable.

For blue skies - polariser helps (although it costs you about two stops of light), but a lot of it is down to PP. If you're shooting against a bright blue sky with the sun behind her, you'll probably need flash or a reflector at least. If the sun is behind you, she'll probably squint and look funny.

And finally, stop self-loathing. Those pics are good and your girlfriend looks fantastic! They could use a little more vibrancy in PP (i.e. look at her legs in pic 1.. they're very flat) but overall they're good imo. She looks natural, happy, pretty and fun... and your job as a photographer is to make her look good.

:bowdown:that helped me too. thanks man!

TS
TS
Aero277

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Also, I went back to throw a little bit back into her legs in 1, but I can't get much with vibrancy, contrast helped a tad though. Any suggestions?

mikmit

:o?
OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2004
CO
tell her not to hunch so much in the next photo sets. otherwise, i dont have anything to add from what everyone has been saying. not bad :)

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
Nice natty light and hairlights :)

Be careful having people squinting into the sun like in #6, also even if she wasn't squinting the light/shadow on her face is dappled which isn't flattering

Most basic way for rich blue skies is to underexpose them slightly, which you can't do unless your subject is brightly lit as well (ie not in cool open shade like these pics)

TS
TS
Aero277

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
all seem great except NEED MOAR FRONTLIGHT

I know, I really wish I would have brought out a light or a reflector, but I felt that if I brought too many things to adjust and play around with, I'd be going mad. I wanted to be able to focus on just posing, composition and natural light.

Scott Cotton aside, the pics would have been a lot better if I had used something for fill. Her eyes really suffered in a lot of the pictures because of it and I had to go back and enhance them just a little bit so they wouldn't get lost in the shadows.

If I had brought in a light or a reflector, would it have also helped with my problem of blowing out the skies?

Budha

Cute GF. I found most of them to be underexposed in the face. I know that you're trying to work on your natural light photos, but a cheap lumopro speedlight w/ an umbrella would help out tremendously.

#1 and #8 are my favs.

TS
TS
Aero277

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
lazy left eye.

nice dress.

i actually like pic 6 the best. :dunno:

It's something about the pics, maybe I was a bit biased with retouching one eye or something..I swear she isn't irl. :o

Cute GF. I found most of them to be underexposed in the face. I know that you're trying to work on your natural light photos, but a cheap lumopro speedlight w/ an umbrella would help out tremendously.

#1 and #8 are my favs.

I've got plenty of lights and modifiers. I just didn't bring them, I will next time though.:wtc:

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Yeah, you need to quite being so self-critical. They feel a bit underexposed at times, but the composition and posing are pretty good. I like most of those shots. #6 is weird just because the lighting and her glass eye.

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Yeah, you have the thought into the shots. Everything is there. Suck it up. You've got talent, just brush up a bit and get out and shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor