ART First post in here....

Buttons

Haha, totally
Feb 27, 2004
Burlington, Ontario
Hey! Kinda new to cameras/photography. I have a ton of friends who are awesome photographers but I never really got into it. Borrowed a friends D40 this weekend to take some pics for some ebay auctions and decided to snap a few pics of my geckos... I don't know if I did good or not so I'd like a little critique.

I'm thinking of purchasing this camera from her after she buys a new one. Be nice. :o

2a0kfuw.jpg

Idyfohu

Oct 29, 2003
Utah
I can has animal.
I can has OCF.
I can has shallow DOF.

Here's a real C&C...the detail and texture is nice. OCF (On Camera Flash), not so nice. There's all kinds of shit in the background that is distracting. The composition is weird...either mid back or all of it...not just the tail cut off.

Pikel

May 25, 2003
PNW
Keep in mind will get strong responses and your reaction might be to chalk it up to OT being full of dicks... but in this forum, if you ask for critiques, you are going to get them. Try to learn from them :o

TS
TS
Buttons

Buttons

Haha, totally
Feb 27, 2004
Burlington, Ontario
Here we go...

I can has animal.
I can has OCF.
I can has shallow DOF.

Here's a real C&C...the detail and texture is nice. OCF (On Camera Flash), not so nice. There's all kinds of shit in the background that is distracting. The composition is weird...either mid back or all of it...not just the tail cut off.

Was just a quick pic to mess around with... geckos are fast! :mamoru: Have to snap a shot before they fly off my desk.

Keep in mind will get strong responses and your reaction might be to chalk it up to OT being full of dicks... but in this forum, if you ask for critiques, you are going to get them. Try to learn from them :o

I can take the heat. I don't mind listening and learning. :bigthumb:

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
Asking for critique on an image that was "just a quick pic to mess around with" doesn't really work

But welcome to the club. Now that you've got your shallow depth of field picture of a pet out of the way, go shoot more stuff

The D40 is not a bad camera. Not the most user-friendly set up if you want to shoot manual trickery, but it'll get you started well enough. Just get out there and use it

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal

Nullius

Jun 20, 2005
Maranda
I can take the heat. I don't mind listening and learning. :bigthumb:

Then you'll fit in just fine. Get your own gear and go read all the manuals in the sticky, then watch/observe others c&c in here while you go out and shoot your ass off.

TS
TS
Buttons

Buttons

Haha, totally
Feb 27, 2004
Burlington, Ontario
That's not a camera...

:squint:

Looks sharp :cool:

thanks

Can it save me money on my insurance?

:bowrofl:

Then you'll fit in just fine. Get your own gear and go read all the manuals in the sticky, then watch/observe others c&c in here while you go out and shoot your ass off.

I'll read the sticky tonight. I'm gonna try and shoot a bunch this weekend

Also inquire about Barney's mentor for help.

:mamoru: I want nothing to do with Coughlins.....errr i mean Barneys mentor

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
tail's cut off, direct flash, very snap shot-ish. keep practicing, keep posting, put your big boy pants on... and oh, don't feed the trolls (they're obvious).

wizeguy4

Apr 5, 2002
Allentown, PA
it would have been much better taken in his tank, at least the surrounding would look better than a desk and prolly very bright so no flash needed. However, be prepared for the lighting in the tank to completely screw up your white balance so shoot raw and correct in post, particularly if you have a uvb bulb and general lighting mixed

TS
TS
Buttons

Buttons

Haha, totally
Feb 27, 2004
Burlington, Ontario
it would have been much better taken in his tank, at least the surrounding would look better than a desk and prolly very bright so no flash needed. However, be prepared for the lighting in the tank to completely screw up your white balance so shoot raw and correct in post, particularly if you have a uvb bulb and general lighting mixed

Thanks for the tips. Theres no lighting in the tanks. Crested geckos have no need for extra lighting. :bigthumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan