ART First Self Portraits C&C

hurleyint1386

Someone has sand in their vagina
Jan 6, 2005
Rochester, NY
So I talked to my mom and she said she had a tripod I could use that she got as a graduation present about 10 years ago. I found out it was a Bogen 3001 brand new in the box. She had never even taken it out. It's pretty nice, though. Better than a cheap Circuit City one. With the tripod, I decided to try some self portraits. I also did the white balance trick by taking a picture of a gray card then adjusting the pictures afterwards. Please critique the pictures, not my ugly mug :mamoru:

img9305pm1.jpg

img9319vd7.jpg

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
neither are super sharp, the 2nd is worse than the first.

i like the first one better, but i keep wanting to see a tiny bit more space on the camera-right eye, its cutoff in a weird spot to me

not a big fan of the pose in the 2nd one, empty space should be on the direction you are facing IMO

try brightening the eyes a bit in photoshop, it works well for portraits.

ps, not at all what i pictured you to look like!

TS
TS
hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386

Jan 6, 2005
Rochester, NY
neither are super sharp, the 2nd is worse than the first.

i like the first one better, but i keep wanting to see a tiny bit more space on the camera-right eye, its cutoff in a weird spot to me

not a big fan of the pose in the 2nd one, empty space should be on the direction you are facing IMO

try brightening the eyes a bit in photoshop, it works well for portraits.

ps, not at all what i pictured you to look like!

Ok, thanks a lot. I'll definitely work with that. A lot of the posing was just improvising. I agree that neither of them are real sharp, that's why I'm asking for any tips on focusing. I'll see what I can do about the eyes, too.

What'd you think I looked like? haha

Also, I'm shooting with a Canon 40D and 50mm 1.8

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
well, the first pic was taken at 1/25 a second

for this kind of stuff you should aim for at least 1/200 or 1/250 to get it nice and sharp.

I don't know what the 40D offers, but my D300 has "interval shooting" where I can say "hey d300, take 5 pictures in a row 3 second apart" - and it does, and it autofocuses before every shot, so the first shot is always fucked up but the last 4 are perfectly focused :bowdown:

TS
TS
hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386

Jan 6, 2005
Rochester, NY

for this kind of stuff you should aim for at least 1/200 or 1/250 to get it nice and sharp.

I don't know what the 40D offers, but my D300 has "interval shooting" where I can say "hey d300, take 5 pictures in a row 3 second apart" - and it does, and it autofocuses before every shot, so the first shot is always fucked up but the last 4 are perfectly focused :bowdown:

Ok, I'll make sure to use a faster shutter speed. Also, I'm not sure about interval shooting. I'll look into it. If anyone else has a 40D or knows, definitely let me know.

TS
TS
hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386

Jan 6, 2005
Rochester, NY

I'm trying to get it up to 200 or 250, but even at ISO 1600 and f/1.8 it's not properly exposed. I can do 1/60" @ f/1.8 ISO 1600 :hsd:

EWhytsell

Jun 16, 2008
No interval shooting on 40D. You can buy a remote timer that will do it, but thats it other than the 2 sec or 10 sec delay, but the delay won't focus before shooting as far as I know.

Also at F/1.8 your gonna have just a few inches of good focus from your DOF so use a flash and get that camera down to ISO 400 or something.

TS
TS
hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386

Jan 6, 2005
Rochester, NY
No interval shooting on 40D. You can buy a remote timer that will do it, but thats it other than the 2 sec or 10 sec delay, but the delay won't focus before shooting as far as I know.

Also at F/1.8 your gonna have just a few inches of good focus from your DOF so use a flash and get that camera down to ISO 400 or something.

I've got my built-in flash and a 560EZ but I don't know how to use it in manual (actually, I don't know how to use it at all haha and I know it's for film not digital, but it works in manual mode I was told)

EWhytsell

Jun 16, 2008
I'm just learning what flashes can do for pictures myself. Very interesting and the most important thing I've learned so far I think is; Shutter speed controls ambient light, and aperture controls your flash's effect on the scene. Find a bottle, fruit or what ever and try adjusting those and see the effect. I'm excited about flash lighting now that I get it.

xenon supra

OT Supporter
Feb 3, 2005
San Diego, CA
You Just put the flash at 1/4 to start with, and then adjust it from there to get what you want. I'd probably point the flash straight up at the ceiling so its somewhat diffused.

You should be able to shoot at 1/250, ISO 200, and f/2.8 using a flash, but you may need to crank it up almost all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan