ART First time night shots

mtnbike4522

CelicaTech.com
Jul 22, 2004
Idaho
Im a total n00b when it comes to taking pics. especially night shots. Ive always had crappy sony point and shoots and this week i got a dslr from a girl at work to play with in an attempt to take some pics for teh companies facebook page.

so i took these last night. any advice you guys can give me to make them better would be great. thanks

original shot.
nightshotorg.jpg

Shopped it a lil bit.. not sure if i went too much on the levels tho
nightshotsmall.jpg

not sure what i think of these shots.. but they were the best of these angles

img_4864sm.jpg

img_4881sm.jpg

I was playing with exposure times from 10-30 seconds, and a F of 5-5.6 all in manual mode

Also i kept having issues just getting the camera to even want to take a pic. it would auto focus. but not take a pic. what gives?

:x:

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Also i kept having issues just getting the camera to even want to take a pic. it would auto focus. but not take a pic. what gives?

:x:

You must have the camera set to fire upon focus. It can't tell it's in focus with it that dark. You want to get hyperfocal distance anyway for those shots, so use manual focus.

MB300E87

Jun 4, 2001
California
my newbish advice...

tripod (obviously)
manual mode
manual focus
ISO 100
smaller aperture
bulb mode on the shutter
get tighter on the subject.

stand there for a good long time and test out different times/settings. since the subject is stationary you can hang out with the shutter open for a long ass time, have the ISO at 100 for the least amount of noise, and get a super crisp picture as a result.

TS
TS

mtnbike4522

CelicaTech.com
Jul 22, 2004
Idaho
I was using a tripod but the wind was blowing about 30mph. which i can tell in some of the pics that it effected it, and froze me to death

I will defiantly try manual focus, what size aperture should i try? whats bulb mode?

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
I was using a tripod but the wind was blowing about 30mph. which i can tell in some of the pics that it effected it, and froze me to death

I will defiantly try manual focus, what size aperture should i try? whats bulb mode?

I'd suggest f8-f11, unless you want refracted light off the streetlamps.

Bulb is where your shutter stays open until either you release your finger on the shutter button, or you click the shutter again depending on settings.

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.19693/23.348; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

MB300E87 said:
my newbish advice...

tripod (obviously)
manual mode
manual focus
ISO 100
smaller aperture
bulb mode on the shutter
get tighter on the subject.

stand there for a good long time and test out different times/settings. since the subject is stationary you can hang out with the shutter open for a long ass time, have the ISO at 100 for the least amount of noise, and get a super crisp picture as a result.

Manual and bulb at the same time. No mention of using lights. Bad advice.

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.19693/23.348; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Oh wait. It's the weekend again...

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
so a higher f value will reduce lens flare? good to know thanks.

No. It will let in less light, but broaden the distance difference of focal plane. i.e. more will be in crisp focus. However, you will reach a small enough aperture that light will be refracted and start causing stars.

There's plenty of stuff you can read on the net to improve. No offense, but start with the basics. It will make you a better overall photographer.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Original pic is underexposed

If it was a 30 second exposure already you can:
Use higher ISO (increasing one doubling (i.e. 100 to 200, 200 to 400 etc) doubles the sensitivity to light
Open up the aperture more (if your lens allows it)

Or you could use an external light source like an external flash or a torch/flashlight to 'paint' the darker areas during a long shutter opening

And your lens is auto-focusing but not taking a picture because it is too dark for your camera to recognise and lock onto correct focus. You can manually focus it, or again use a torch and shine it onto the object while focusing until it locks.

Also, as general advice, think about your composition. The first composition is best. The others are incredibly boring. A black car sat in a grey car park. What am I meant to be looking at? Can't see any details in the car, or the surroundings. For the second shot you should have got closer (or zoomed in) to get those bright lights out of the frame. The eye is usually drawn to brighter things, and the light is super distracting.. especially when the subject is an underlit black car

Last edited:

jsmonet

egg
Sep 20, 2002
so cali
so a higher f value will reduce lens flare? good to know thanks.

it'll tighten up the *bling*starz*bling* from the lights

bulb if you absolutely need more than 30sec to get the shot.

cars and polarizers are the reese's pieces of photography, but i don't know about how that works out at night. I can't see why it would make a huge difference because you only lose a third/half a stop with it, so it should be a moot point

MB300E87

Jun 4, 2001
California

Manual and bulb at the same time. No mention of using lights. Bad advice.

miss the part where i qualify myself as a newb?

TS
TS

mtnbike4522

CelicaTech.com
Jul 22, 2004
Idaho
Original pic is underexposed

If it was a 30 second exposure already you can:
Use higher ISO (increasing one doubling (i.e. 100 to 200, 200 to 400 etc) doubles the sensitivity to light
Open up the aperture more (if your lens allows it)

Or you could use an external light source like an external flash or a torch/flashlight to 'paint' the darker areas during a long shutter opening

And your lens is auto-focusing but not taking a picture because it is too dark for your camera to recognise and lock onto correct focus. You can manually focus it, or again use a torch and shine it onto the object while focusing until it locks.

Also, as general advice, think about your composition. The first composition is best. The others are incredibly boring. A black car sat in a grey car park. What am I meant to be looking at? Can't see any details in the car, or the surroundings. For the second shot you should have got closer (or zoomed in) to get those bright lights out of the frame. The eye is usually drawn to brighter things, and the light is super distracting.. especially when the subject is an underlit black car

Thanks. this is the kind of advice i was looking for. Ill also definitely keep my composition in mind the next time i go out.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
Do you understand exposure? (aperture size, shutter speed and ISO sensitivity)?

Because if not there's no point going and standing in a car park at night fiddling with camera settings unless you have some idea what to change. You can learn by doing, but it's better to have some ideas, then try them out.

TS
TS

mtnbike4522

CelicaTech.com
Jul 22, 2004
Idaho
I have a basic understanding of what they do from the reading ive been doing online.

but im not 100% on how me changing them effects the outcome of the picture and how changing them in conjunction effects things.

ive been sitting here in my house and changing each setting from one extent to the other and seeing how this effects things.

AmosBanks

Aug 19, 2004
Chicago, IL
One of the first OTAP tips I got was ISO 100 with F5 and then adjust shutter till it works. I usually try that along with other combos and when I get back home, I find that the above combo worked the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan