GUN First time shooting handguns...questions

bugman

Demonic Gecko
OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2004
So yesterday we took some guns from my friends work to shoot with. We took a brand new Sig P226 and a brand new CZ P07. I always thought Sigs were supposed to be all around great guns and very accurate.

However, when me and my friend actually shot them, with the CZ both of us were dead on at 20 feet hitting targets right where we wanted to. But with the Sig, none of us hit anywhere close to what we were aiming for.

Could this be because of the 'break-in' period? Just dont know why the Sig would be so inaccurate shooting compared to the CZ.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
not the break in period

more likely the grip angle or grip size trigger pull etc that you weren't adjusting to

every different weapon fires and feels a bit different than another, it's to be expected that shooters with less experience have very different results while firing different guns

if you just shoot the sig and practice getting used to your grip trigger control etc i'm sure you'll find the sig a very accurate weapon

even experienced shooters who mainly fire a glock for example who then try to fire a beretta 92 will need to adjust due to the very different trigger design grip angle etc, it doesn't mean that the beretta isn't accurate, it's just a different firearm tha requires a bit of adjustment from another firearm

(i didn't pick those 2 weapons for any real reason other that the fact that they have some obvious differences)

TS
TS
bugman

bugman

Demonic Gecko
OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2004
Makes sense, just was very frustrating and I found myself not even wanting to waste ammo on the Sig knowing I wasnt going to hit anything I was aiming for.

TS
TS
bugman

bugman

Demonic Gecko
OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2004
Ever take a class or any instruction?

Not for handguns...my friend has many times before (being as he works in a gun related industry) but this is my first time. I was told proper form and stance etc and it worked perfectly with the CZ. I think I was afraid of having my thumb get caught in the slide of the Sig and I didnt hold it as securely and high up on the side as I did with the CZ...but my friend used proper form with both guns and was still off with the Sig.

TS
TS
bugman

bugman

Demonic Gecko
OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2004
i'm sure the sig is defective then

lmao

it's never user error

Im not saying that I just find it weird you can be completely accurate with one handgun and completely off with the other. :dunno:

bigman7903

OT Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Dystopia
It's likely one of many factors, but it's probably user error. Sigs, while I'm not a huge fan of them and don't really like how they sit in my hands (from the 2 I've held), are excellent firearms. I own a P-01 (9mm version of the P-07) and love the thing. :dunno:

KIDRR

Duck dog>*
Nov 1, 2004
North Mexico
This is why it is generally recommended to shoot a bunch of handguns before you buy. IMO why fight your natural preferences and go with a certain pistol because of their marketing department.

Personally I shoot best with the USP 45 followed by pretty much any Glock. My buddy asks me what pistol he should get I tell him just get a Glock, he ends up not liking it that much and shooting someones Beretta 92 at the range and falling in love with it.

Just use what you can shoot the best with.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec