GUN First time shotgun purchase v.skeet

MMor101

OT Supporter
Feb 21, 2005
Skippack, PA
Went to go shoot some clays today. First time i've ever shot a firearm too, so much fun. I was using my dads 20GA AyA side by side but I kinda want a shotgun of my own. I was looking at the Remington SPR310 from Buds gun shop. Any experience with them? It will be used mostly for clays. How much am I looking to pay for the transfer fee? Should I go into a local gun shop and hold it at least? I couldn't find anything used at a good price. They seem to hold their value well and at $319 plus $40 cash back minuswhale buy new.

bursty

Jan 26, 2007
MO<->TX
Skeet with a pump may prove difficult.

I've shot skeet with my 870 for the past ~6 months and it adds to the challenge. While the 870 is a fucking awesome shotgun, I will have a dedicated skeet gun soon :o

For the occasional skeet trip a few times a year, an 870 would do fine but if you really get into it, you need either an autoloader or O/U

ZCP M3

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, CO
Went to go shoot some clays today. First time i've ever shot a firearm too, so much fun. I was using my dads 20GA AyA side by side but I kinda want a shotgun of my own. I was looking at the Remington SPR310 from Buds gun shop. Any experience with them? It will be used mostly for clays. How much am I looking to pay for the transfer fee? Should I go into a local gun shop and hold it at least? I couldn't find anything used at a good price. They seem to hold their value well and at $319 plus $40 cash back minuswhale buy new.

Definitely go to a local gun store and hold/swing a few shotguns before blindly buying. The way a gun feels can tell you a lot.

As far as transfer fees go, look up dealers in your area using Gunbroker's FFL Locator. http://gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp I pay $15-20 in my area.

Never seen/held a SPR310, but definitely a good call to get an over-under if you're gonna be doing skeet.

TS
TS
MMor101

MMor101

OT Supporter
Feb 21, 2005
Skippack, PA
I really don't want to spend more than ~$300. I'll call around on monday see if any places have the SPR310 instock. IIRC the skeet range I went to rented the SPR310 so it has to be a solid, reliable gun. Thanks for all the feedback though, any other online stores I should check to get pricing?

The Cable Guy

Jul 10, 2006
Rowland Heights, CA
I've shot skeet with my 870 for the past ~6 months and it adds to the challenge. While the 870 is a fucking awesome shotgun, I will have a dedicated skeet gun soon :o

For the occasional skeet trip a few times a year, an 870 would do fine but if you really get into it, you need either an autoloader or O/U

Yeah, it's fine either way. I use my Mossberg 500 and slap on a mod choke'd 28" barrel when shooting trap.

clarus

Jan 4, 2005
Atlanta, GA

It would be a waste of money to buy a pump when you are just going to be forced to upgrade down the road. Shooting doubles on a pump is just a pain and you are needlessly handicapping yourself.

Ive shot skeet with pump, o/u, and auto. My favorite was the auto since it uses some of the force from the shot to chamber the next round thus reducing felt recoil. Also, you can get a shot off pretty fast and they are weighted really nicely. I know the real skeet shooters use o/u but I prefer the auto.

Now if I could just decide on what gauge and what gun I want.
Ive been looking at the Beretta A391 (saw them for $929 at Sports Authority). Also going to look in to some Benellis but I much prefer Beretta.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor