Fishing crew come educate me

gimpshiznit

Totally not Larry
Aug 9, 2003
Twin Shitties
Interesting, until the past couple years I didn't have enough PTO to justify travelling to another state just to try fly fishing. Now that my partner is doing better and I've started to accumulate more PTO at work maybe :hmm:

We had our california friends start moving there long ago :o
You have some good streams not far from you. Pick up a rod and start practicing.

I’ve been meaning to head to OR for quite some time.

Noparking

Platinum Member
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
South Island, New Zeland
Interesting, until the past couple years I didn't have enough PTO to justify travelling to another state just to try fly fishing. Now that my partner is doing better and I've started to accumulate more PTO at work maybe :hmm:

We had our california friends start moving there long ago :o
Yep, some california pieces of shit are the people who just bought the house I've been care taking so that's awesome. I'll be moving back to the NW in a week and not stoked. If you want to learn the basics of fly fishing and you promise not to kill me, we could go fishing at some point.
Cutties hitting anything ontop of the water?

How’s the water temp?
I was using small foam and a trailing PMD which they seemed more excited about. Water is defiantly starting to warm up and getting thing quickly too
Also, pls stop telling ppl about MT/WY.
They already know

Reactions: gimpshiznit
TS
TS
CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
Yep, some california pieces of shit are the people who just bought the house I've been care taking so that's awesome. I'll be moving back to the NW in a week and not stoked. If you want to learn the basics of fly fishing and you promise not to kill me, we could go fishing at some point.

I was using small foam and a trailing PMD which they seemed more excited about. Water is defiantly starting to warm up and getting thing quickly too

They already know
@12xalt can confirm I have only tried to kill her once or twice with my car (which is less than she has tried to kill me tbqh)

• Haha
Reactions: 12xalt
TS
TS
CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
Google + tackle shop + your area = correct answer

Fishing is tremendously diverse and what might be the right for our area and our targeted catch might not be the case for you and yours.
yeah I get that, the reddit intro to fishing post was like a half a mile long and everyone in the local FB group seems cagey af when people asked for advice

gimpshiznit

Totally not Larry
Aug 9, 2003
Twin Shitties
Google + tackle shop + your area = correct answer

Fishing is tremendously diverse and what might be the right for our area and our targeted catch might not be the case for you and yours.
Skip the fly shop.
Head to a bait shop and those folks will tell you where the fish are without robbing you

gimpshiznit

Totally not Larry
Aug 9, 2003
Twin Shitties
maybe, it was pretty busy yesterday so I didn't try asking for advice :o
I should have some free time tmrw. Let’s talk about where you’re fishing and what you’re looking for. I might be able to point you in the right direction on tackle and techniques for now outside of the fly fishing route.

I’ll post in this thread with some ideas

Remy Bressant

40 big girls and a bottle
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
yeah I get that, the reddit intro to fishing post was like a half a mile long and everyone in the local FB group seems cagey af when people asked for advice
Dont listen to anything on Reddit about fishing. Not joking. It’s full of gamer nerds pretending they know about fishing because they went once 10 years ago.

Reactions: gimpshiznit

Remy Bressant

OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
holy shit that's me :eek3:
You guys have a gnarly steelhead fishery in OR. If you wanna knuckle down and get serious eventually, steelhead in big water on Spey rods is big boy shit.
Best place to start is going to be a 5-6 weight and some trout water and lots of practice.

Dismay

Super Swell Guy
OT Supporter
May 23, 2000
SoCalish
that's because trout fishing in Oregon and the NW is kind of a joke compared to Montana or Wyoming. That being said, central Oregon and the Deschutes River has some decent trout fishing, but that'll be a drive for you. You can head west and fish for small trout in the coast range. I learned to trout fish in Oregon and have been lucky to live in Wyoming for the past 3 years and have been able to fish daily here. This was from this morning
View attachment 243203

View attachment 243204
View attachment 243205

Way bigger than what I can catch in the Sierras.

Where are you at in Wyoming? You working there?

Dismay

Super Swell Guy
OT Supporter
May 23, 2000
SoCalish
I really enjoy fly + bubble with a spinning rod for backcountry lakes and trout with my ugly stik

its just like a 6 ft leader line with a water filled float at the 6ft mark and a fly on the end

I was using that last year. Can chuck it way out in the middle of the lakes :cool:

Reactions: xconverge

Remy Bressant

OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
You’ve also got albacore, big ground fish and all the sea run salmonids.
You had me going down a rabbit hole of all my buddies OR fishing pics and videos :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: CPTMULLET

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vernenbailleu