Fishing crew come educate me

Das-Helmut

OT Supporter
Nov 8, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Depending on what lure you got on, take the slack out. You'll never know when you get a bump if you have slack line. Just a little tension while you're bumping along bottom.

Chirp08

OT Supporter
Jan 26, 2008
Tried the spot that guy suggested (roughly).... All I caught was some snags :wtc:. Tried to catch some spicy wendys nugs on the way home and it was closed :mad:

c16cLTv.png

What were using? As already said, you aren't going to catch shit with a slack line. Some slack is ok but get in the habit of holding the pole with the real between your middle and ring finger, and then keep your index finger on the line. Even with some slack you'll feel a fish with your finger before the pole does anything. Obviously don't use your index finger if you are retrieving lures.

Looking at the pic you can see where things drop off in yellow below, that's where you want to target, along the edge of those big boulders. The fish will be amongst them facing toward the center of the river waiting for things to float by. So you can either fish something that sinks like a senko just outside of the purple line, working your way down (being careful to not let it sink too far that it gets snagged on retrieve, remember they'll hit it instantly if they are there); or you can use a lure parallel to that purple line (or diagonal in a way that crosses over it for a good amount of time). The mepps, small daredevle spoon, or small crankbait would work as they run shallow enough to not snag.

D2gnEX0.jpg

TS
TS
CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
What were using? As already said, you aren't going to catch shit with a slack line. Some slack is ok but get in the habit of holding the pole with the real between your middle and ring finger, and then keep your index finger on the line. Even with some slack you'll feel a fish with your finger before the pole does anything. Obviously don't use your index finger if you are retrieving lures.

Looking at the pic you can see where things drop off in yellow below, that's where you want to target, along the edge of those big boulders. The fish will be amongst them facing toward the center of the river waiting for things to float by. So you can either fish something that sinks like a senko just outside of the purple line, working your way down (being careful to not let it sink too far that it gets snagged on retrieve, remember they'll hit it instantly if they are there); or you can use a lure parallel to that purple line (or diagonal in a way that crosses over it for a good amount of time). The mepps, small daredevle spoon, or small crankbait would work as they run shallow enough to not snag.

D2gnEX0.jpg
My goal was to get the hook/lure/whatever I was trying 1-2 feet past the purple line so I could then slowly reel it in through that deeper spot right past the rocks and hopefully not snag on anything. It was like 98* outside at 7-8pm (which is basically as hot as it gets here) so I was aiming for the shadiest spots.

I also learned that I wasn't doing my texas rigs very well so next week I'll have to try again with them properly set up. I was spending a lot of time snagging and retrieving hooks or lures :o

The thing I didn't quite get is how do you get stuff to sink and keep tension on the line w/o snagging a lot (when using something other than a properly set up texas rig), I assume (hope?) it's just a practice thing but I was really struggling to find the middle ground between letting it sink/drift past the rocks and risk snagging every single bit of flora/wood/lost fishing line in the area

TS
TS
CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
is that why in videos people put their thumb on the line of a bait caster after they've re-locked it back into reel mode, to feel the line?

Chirp08

OT Supporter
Jan 26, 2008
My goal was to get the hook/lure/whatever I was trying 1-2 feet past the purple line so I could then slowly reel it in through that deeper spot right past the rocks and hopefully not snag on anything. It was like 98* outside at 7-8pm (which is basically as hot as it gets here) so I was aiming for the shadiest spots.

I also learned that I wasn't doing my texas rigs very well so next week I'll have to try again with them properly set up. I was spending a lot of time snagging and retrieving hooks or lures :o

The thing I didn't quite get is how do you get stuff to sink and keep tension on the line w/o snagging a lot (when using something other than a properly set up texas rig), I assume (hope?) it's just a practice thing but I was really struggling to find the middle ground between letting it sink/drift past the rocks and risk snagging every single bit of flora/wood/lost fishing line in the area

If that is your target zone you'd want to cast further than 1-2 feet beyond it so by the time the bait gets to that spot it is presenting itself ideally. if you are fishing something that sinks vertically you can target it directly, but if you are dragging/swimming something along you need more time/ground.

index finger gently on the line while it sinks will let you feel if something bites even if it is slack (as long as the bail is closed) because as soon as the fish bites it is going to pull the line across your finger and you'll feel it.

Reactions: CPTMULLET
TS
TS
CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
If that is your target zone you'd want to cast further than 1-2 feet beyond it so by the time the bait gets to that spot it is presenting itself ideally. if you are fishing something that sinks vertically you can target it directly, but if you are dragging/swimming something along you need more time/ground.

index finger gently on the line while it sinks will let you feel if something bites even if it is slack (as long as the bail is closed) because as soon as the fish bites it is going to pull the line across your finger and you'll feel it.
dope, I'll probably be standing out there like a full blown idiot reading these posts and trying over and over :rofl:

Chirp08

OT Supporter
Jan 26, 2008
dope, I'll probably be standing out there like a full blown idiot reading these posts and trying over and over :rofl:

You should check out Brian Latimer's channel on YouTube, he does a good job of keeping it simple. Don't get too hung up on specific rods/line test etc., just focus on the general techniques for different baits and when to use them: https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianLatimerFishing/videos

Noparking

Platinum Member
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
South Island, New Zeland
Thankfully I got out of work at a decent time and the weather sort of held for some fishing down by the house. Caught a few smaller fish to start.
86FE31B8-84C5-4051-A07B-BE950D7B3E9C.jpeg
Little better
37FB3B0C-8830-40E5-AE21-7B2A268F73F9.jpeg
And then it started to pour and had to take cover from marble sized hail during a lightning storm, but I knew where this next fish was sitting and I wanted to give it one last try to land it. 45min later after the storm stopped I landed this fish. Not massive but decent size for this portion of the river.
F192A939-330D-4EF7-AB4D-67BCAFDF8DE2.jpeg
BB0B0E9D-16AB-42F7-A34D-DB1C68E39710.jpeg A7863106-CF38-454B-945C-67A5A9322EF4.jpeg

TS
TS
CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
I went to a bass pro shops on my way home from a trip yesterday thinking they'd happily put a little effort into selling me a nice baitcaster.... they did not. Amazon might be killing retail, but retail isn't trying that hard to save itself either.

Reactions: couchlock

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
I went to a bass pro shops on my way home from a trip yesterday thinking they'd happily put a little effort into selling me a nice baitcaster.... they did not. Amazon might be killing retail, but retail isn't trying that hard to save itself either.
BPS is a glorified Walmart, go to a real tackle shop if u want someone to drain ur wallet properly

Remy Bressant

40 big girls and a bottle
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
BPS gives no fucks.
find a locally owned tackle shop. the guy behind the counter will give you all the help in the world and be happy to do it.

Chirp08

OT Supporter
Jan 26, 2008

bass pro is good to order from online if you know what you want to buy and take advantage of their sales. in store is a different story, they have a fraction of their online stuff actually in stock and now sell mostly their own-branded junk. if you need a site for baits/lures Shopkarls.com is decent. Bite the bullet and do the club membership, It is $50/yr but you are going to pay $10+ in shipping every order otherwise, and the savings on the baits adds up quick enough to pay for it. They tend to have stuff you can't find on Amazon, and anything they don't have you can usually find on Amazon.

real talk, you don't need a baitcaster.

TS
TS
CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
bass pro is good to order from online if you know what you want to buy and take advantage of their sales. in store is a different story, they have a fraction of their online stuff actually in stock and now sell mostly their own-branded junk. if you need a site for baits/lures Shopkarls.com is decent. Bite the bullet and do the club membership, It is $50/yr but you are going to pay $10+ in shipping every order otherwise, and the savings on the baits adds up quick enough to pay for it. They tend to have stuff you can't find on Amazon, and anything they don't have you can usually find on Amazon.

real talk, you don't need a baitcaster.
I like playing with gadgets tho :o

Reactions: Chirp08

cree

OT Supporter
Sep 23, 2004
OR / AZ

Fishermans Marine is one of the best in the area. Bob's in Longview is also great. I've been fishing Oregon's rivers, lakes and ponds my whole life. What are you fishing for and where at?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vernenbailleu