TECH Flat rate repair

Jackhole

Dec 23, 2001
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Does Apple still do flat-rate or tiered pricing for hardware repair? Wife dumped a glass of water on her MB Pro and let it sit there all night, the logic board is fried, there's corrosion on a couple of solder connections. Ifixit wants $649 for the logic board alone and honestly I don't feel comfortable replacing it myself.

I have it at a local authorized repair center, but I'm sure it's going to be $$. I've heard tell of a flat-rate or tiered pricing system at the Apple Stores, does this still exist? What's the story with it?

DouggieJ

OT Supporter
Nov 1, 2007
New York, NY USA
In my experience, Apple Stores have the best repair prices here. They charge for parts and labor, all the parts prices they quoted were less than other repair shops and they don't charge anything upfront to diagnose the machine. Of course things might be different in Europe.

TS
TS

Jackhole

Dec 23, 2001
Fort Lauderdale, FL
In my experience, Apple Stores have the best repair prices here. They charge for parts and labor, all the parts prices they quoted were less than other repair shops and they don't charge anything upfront to diagnose the machine. Of course things might be different in Europe.

I've already taken it to an authorized repair center, thinking they'd be cheaper. :doh: No matter what, I owe them $98 for diagnostics. I was looking at their hourly rates there and I only assumed that the Apple Store would be more expensive, otherwise how would authorized repair centers stay in business?

I guess I need to get it back and take it to the Apple Store and see what they say. They weren't very helpful on the phone.

alverino03

Jul 31, 2001
bay area
I took my first gen MacBook into the Apple Store about three months ago and they told me that it was $280 for their flat rate service.

DouggieJ

OT Supporter
Nov 1, 2007
New York, NY USA
Ok, so I looked into this flat rate pricing for repairs, and what I saw was that that is only for damage that would have been covered by the warranty had the warranty still been in effect. So dropping a glass of water on it would not have ever been covered under flat rate.

My latest 2 repair attempts (also my fault, not just some unexplained failure) was one MacBook Pro that I stepped on and bent the screen and only half the screen was displaying properly. I took it to the Apple Store, they quoted something like $450, took it in, called me like 3 days later to come pick it up, and it was exactly the same price.

My second experience was with an original Mac Pro 1,1 which was a saga that lasted literally two months and involved two separate Apple Stores here in New York as well as a local 3rd party shop. I'm not going to get into the details but it spent about 3 weeks at the Upper West Side Apple Store and about the same at the Fifth Avenue cube store and the consensus was it was irreparable due because there was smoke/fire released when there was a short circuit that killed it. So the computer was dead, but I didn't spend a dime at either Apple Store even though they tried replacing the motherboard, the power supply, and apparently a bunch of other stuff.

I ended up buying a refurbished octocore Mac Pro 3,1 from a 3rd party company, still quite a pretty penny even though it's from early 2008. The brand new Mac Pros are insanely expensive.

TS
TS

Jackhole

Dec 23, 2001
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thanks. Yeah, I've been Googling all day and found out that water damage wouldn't be covered. There's surprisingly little to no official mention of this flat-rate service by Apple, everything I found was anecdotal on forums or other sites, etc.

It's all good, I found a guy in DC that will do it for $480 including shipping both ways. Apparently he actually repairs the logic boards instead of replacing them. He's Apple Certified and warranties his repairs for a year, so I'm going to do it if the local place's prices aren't reasonable.

TS
TS

Jackhole

Dec 23, 2001
Fort Lauderdale, FL
This situation has inspired me to get off my ass and get some Apple certs. I've been toying with the idea of doing some support, consulting, and/or possibly repair on the side for awhile and I think I'm going to jump on it. Although I may have to hold off on the AppleCare Technician training, as you're apparently required to have an actual brick and mortar location in order to be an authorized service center.

hurleyint1386

Someone has sand in their vagina
Jan 6, 2005
Rochester, NY
Liquid damage on a MacBook Pro (if it's 15 inch) is $1280 plus tax at the Apple store. It's their standard tier 4 accidental damage quote. The guy that Apple Certified and going to try to recondition your board, is not certified to do that. Apple certifications do not cover logic board repairs, it's logic board replacements. PM me if you have any other questions.

TS
TS

Jackhole

Dec 23, 2001
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Liquid damage on a MacBook Pro (if it's 15 inch) is $1280 plus tax at the Apple store. It's their standard tier 4 accidental damage quote. The guy that Apple Certified and going to try to recondition your board, is not certified to do that. Apple certifications do not cover logic board repairs, it's logic board replacements. PM me if you have any other questions.

It's a 13". The computer is out of warranty. $1280 would buy me a brand new MacBook, so if this guy can do it (every review on Yelp is 4 stars), AND give me a 1-year warranty on his work, why do I care? So basically what you're telling me is that Apple trains parts swappers and frowns on actual craftsmen?

TheWeasel

Laptops are billed at a flat rate. Desktops are based on parts and labor.

hurleyint1386

Someone has sand in their vagina
Jan 6, 2005
Rochester, NY
It's a 13". The computer is out of warranty. $1280 would buy me a brand new MacBook, so if this guy can do it (every review on Yelp is 4 stars), AND give me a 1-year warranty on his work, why do I care? So basically what you're telling me is that Apple trains parts swappers and frowns on actual craftsmen?

13" is $755, and yeah, they swap parts, the boards have already been remanufactured. Doesn't mean they frown on actual craftsmen, just saying he's not "certified" to do it. But if he can do it, go for it

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448