Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Girth, Apr 28, 2009.
whats the allure of smugmug?
smugmug is basically better in every way except they don't have any free features.
DavidJay uses it!
i like flickr much more. seems more 'professional', i guess.
if you're going to dump your photos somewhere online, what does it matter if the surrounding of it looks pretty? the tab tab that pops out when you roll over a picture pisses me off like no other!!!
Flickr > SmugMug
Smug smug looks like it's easier to order prints with, beyond that I haven't seen much else on smug smug
I use both. What now?
smugmug is fully customizeable, can process sales, multiple galleries etc etc
i use both, i prefer my smugmug much more
The name smugmug and their dumb smiley immediately turns me off as being unprofessional. They need better branding.
buy a domain name for less than 10 bucks and then nobody will ever see the smugmug name in the address bar, and customize it all you want and you can pull every one of their smilies out
I know, but first impressions for professionals checking it out.
most, but not all, which is fail
bay photo is also utter fail as a partner lab
I adore my smugmug.
1. Efficiency - The ability for family, friends, customers to go on my site and purchase prints with ease is fantastic. For $150 a year only too. For me to take time out of my day to find a reputable printer, to mail or make time to show proofs to customers, is costly enough as it is. The printing, the proofing, the streamlined efficiency of having transactions filtered through their own proprietary system, where I create my markup - can't be beat.
2. Ease of use - The ability to navigate the content and purchase, link, share and organize is perfect in every way. Flickr can become very distracting and disorganized. Too much going on and can easily discourage people from doing anything.
3. Customization - The ability to customize your smugmug galleries in any way you want is an option that I have not seen offered from anyone else. No advertisements, and a clean, easy to use layout with any design you want (flash included if you'd like) is outstanding.
4. Customer Service - I can not brag enough at how friendly, cooperative and efficient their customer service "Heroes" are and have been to me. Almost 24 hour support at your fingertips. The online help forums at www.dgrin.com have been invaluable to me as far as building my site goes.
5. Options - The photograph sizes and print photo paper options are perfect for anyone to choose from. They supply photos though BayPhoto or EZPrints. Both specacular and efficient printers and the prints ship fast and in high quality packaging. I choose Bay Photo.
All in all, all of these options and the ability to save time and money with this phenomenal service, is why I will always stay loyal to smugmug.
My site - for reference: www.artbynicholas.com
The advertisement you see on my page was put there by me, because I am an affiliate.
who does the photo printing for flickr?
the commerce side of smugmug make sit that much better i feel.
i've used them a couple of times for some random prints - nothing exciting. just curious what you've had issues with.
Ordered 2 albums from them, both completely unusable. They replaced one, the replacement is just as bad. Other one they didn't think anything was wrong
I should clarify, they weren't ordered FROM Bay, but Bay printed/mounted . . .
good lord... are they always that sloppy?