GUN For those of you that have built an AK

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Dec 9, 2006.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

where did you get your instructions for your build?

I have an AK that i need to change the barrel of and I am looking to see how the barrel is installed to see if I can change it out myself (hence good directions) and how easy the process is to reverse to take the barrel out of a completed gun. Or if I should just buy a whole new AK or maybe SKS.

Also for those of you that did build where did you get your parts? Is there a website that isn't an auction that i can buy parts from?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ar15.com and gunsnet both have pretty good pictorial how to guides. Whats wrong with the barrel? Awhile back centerfire was selling just the barrels and complete front ends not sure if they still gottem.

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

The problem basically is the breach end is damaged and the side of the casing rupture when fired.

There are only 2 barrels listed on that site one being a yugo and this one

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=655

the gun I need to fit it into is a Romanian WASR-10 variant, does anyone know if that will work? Granted I would like to find one that is ready to install and needs as little work as possible.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Go for one of the $99 romy kits, the virgin yugo barrels have to be drilled for gas tube and shit for a few more bucks the romy kit is worth it with the other extra parts.

5. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I've been using http://www.gunsgutsandgod.com/ for my instructions, so far its been great. For a while Copes had just the barrel and frunt trunions off of Romy G kits for sale but I dont see them on their site anymore.

6. Keesh

Keesh Active Member

:werd: www.gunsgutsandgod.com/ was pretty much the only site I needed to get though the built. Speaking of which, time to go finish my Polish underfolder build, thanks for the reminder :)

7. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

DPH arms has ther barrel assemblies and sights for $50 I believe

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

9. Basic

Basic OT Supporter

10. Furner

Furner New Member

11. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

does this sound right to you

there is one pin holding the barrel into the front trunion so it would be possible to drive the pin out with a punch and then drive the old barrel out and repeat this procedure with the parts ordered and then drive the new barrel into the trunion without having to redo any rivets. and drive the pin back into the assembly.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've bought some small parts from DPH no complaints.

13. Furner

Furner New Member

i dont know if you can get a good angle at the barrel to press it out of the trunion with it still in the receiver. But if you can, then yes, you are correct.

14. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

DPH was great when I ordered my reciever and a few other parts a while back. I got all my build info from ak47.net in the build it yourself forum

15. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I think in theory it should work, you just have to figure out how to press out the old barrel with the whole receiver attached and I think the rear trunnion and center support would get in the way.

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

hrm I'll have to look at that later this week, I might have to try and make a tool for it. But pressing the new barrel will be easy compared to that I hope.

I would like to be able to do it without yank rivets otherwise I might have to replace them with screws instead.

17. Keesh

Keesh Active Member

I think it would be pretty hard to do that without unattatching the front trunion from the receiver. I'm not sure how you could knock out the barrel from the front trunion. You would pretty much be pulling on it instead of pushing and I think it would be a lot harder and would damage the barrel, not that it would matter I guess if you damaged it.

I'm sure it's possible but I think it would be much easier just to take out the rivets holding the receiver to the barrel assembly and switch with the new barrel assembly. Then all you would have to do is knock out the barrel, re-do the rivets and then press the barrel back in.

Hope that makes sense :)

18. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

That makes perfect sense. I should be able to knock out the replacement barrel since it doesn't have a receiver, as for the one in the guy I will probably try and pull it out, it doesn't matter if it is bent, cracked or otherwise damaged as it is already nonfunctional. So I'll try pulling the barrel first and if that fails I will start knocking rivets out, I've never done rivet work before and wold like to avoid it if at all possible.

19. BigBadJohn

I bought a kit, us comp parts, a barrel assembly and a barrel set from them. They seem ok. Only they sent me 2 folding flats instead of fixed stock ones on accident

My kit wasnt the best but the barrel assembly I got seemed to be almost brand new

20. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

how long did it take to get your stuff from them?

21. BigBadJohn

Less than a week after placing the order

22. Keesh

Keesh Active Member

I've ordered all my compliance parts from them and They shipped them no problem in under a week. The guy is really busy and didn't respond to my emails for a few days but that's because I ordered the wrong thing and asked to change it. He emailed me back and said he would change it for me so they seem like pretty good guys.