CAR TECH Ford Lightning - the future is now old man

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
Honestly the inverter on the vehicle is such a great idea, and the ability to go vehicle to grid on this is something that's ahead of Tesla, they are actively trying to avoid this, which pisses me off.
Excessive battery wear and tear is the main reason to not want to do this.

jelloslug

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Greenville, SC
So I'll 100% ditch my Lightning reservation for an electric Expedition Max or Navigator L

Frunk + seating for 7-9 + giant trunk area + a ridiculous amount of power :bowdown:

I hope GM took note of the presentation yesterday and starts figuring out how to cram their Ultium batteries into the Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban and their GMC and Cadillac versions and sell them for competitive prices vs Ford
GM will always find a way to fuck it up.

[DWI]

Master of Nothing
Aug 6, 2000
Maine
It is going to be interesting to see the videos when Munro does a teardown on the Lightning.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
I fully understand this, and I don't care. When the grid is down, I want to be able to use all available power to keep my house running.
How often is that ever going to happen to the average asshole anyway? Ever since I moved out of the country I think I've lost power maybe like twice? Usually back up quick too. The ability to keep something powered for a bit if you really want to is pretty cool I guess, but how often would you ever use it? If your shit is off for a while you could always drive to a public free charger that has juice and bring it back home to get the fridge cold again or whatever. Everyones use case is different.

If you life near a free charger getting an EV is almost a no brainer. I owned a Tesla for 18 months and never paid to charge it once other than being on a trip. Lived near a free charger, would just park and walk home or go plug in somewhere and go for a nice long walk for my exercise. I'm also a Jew tho, so there's that.

Valence

Just a dude, playing a dude, playing another dude.
OT Supporter
How often is that ever going to happen to the average asshole anyway? Ever since I moved out of the country I think I've lost power maybe like twice? Usually back up quick too. The ability to keep something powered for a bit if you really want to is pretty cool I guess, but how often would you ever use it? If your shit is off for a while you could always drive to a public free charger that has juice and bring it back home to get the fridge cold again or whatever. Everyones use case is different.

If you life near a free charger getting an EV is almost a no brainer. I owned a Tesla for 18 months and never paid to charge it once other than being on a trip. Lived near a free charger, would just park and walk home or go plug in somewhere and go for a nice long walk for my exercise. I'm also a Jew tho, so there's that.
tornado alley or gulf coast has hurricane season, it's quite frequent. i can get this truck, get the 7500 tax rebate, AND not have to buy a generator.

rebs

Fuck them Cowboys
OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Ca

Ask Texas how often this happens.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Ask Texas how often this happens.
tornado alley or gulf coast has hurricane season, it's quite frequent. i can get this truck, get the 7500 tax rebate, AND not have to buy a generator.
Like I said, everyones use case is different. Cool feature to have if you need it. Yes it will wear the battery more, but I dont think it will be enough over the life to make that much of a difference for most people.

Reactions: whatever

fuqxyu

Thank you for the alpha
OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
Like I said, everyones use case is different. Cool feature to have if you need it. Yes it will wear the battery more, but I dont think it will be enough over the life to make that much of a difference for most people.
not that I'll be camping often, but it would be nice to bring all the amenities and have them powered for 3 days.

VipZ28

OT's resident Solar and Home Battery guy, I guess?
OT Supporter
Jun 10, 2004
Pearland, Texas

As already answered, I live on the gulf coast. We lose power a couple times a year. Sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes for 5 days. I have added solar + battery to my house already, but would like to be able to tap in to more storage that I already paid for(CAR BATTERY) when necessary.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
As already answered, I live on the gulf coast. We lose power a couple times a year. Sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes for 5 days. I have added solar + battery to my house already, but would like to be able to tap in to more storage that I already paid for(CAR BATTERY) when necessary.
Powerwall? How long does it last?

VipZ28

OT's resident Solar and Home Battery guy, I guess?
OT Supporter
Jun 10, 2004
Pearland, Texas
Powerwall? How long does it last?
Uh... Sort of. I built it myself out of recycled leaf battery modules attached to a Sol-Ark 12K which runs my whole house. When the winter storm came through Houston my neighborhood was without power from Monday afternoon -> Thursday afternoon, but My lights stayed on thanks to solar + battery. I don't think we would have made it through Thursday night though, battery was low already. I've since doubled it's size.

Somehow I didn't take any pictures before I sealed it up, but here's ~1/2 the modules all stacked up after I tested them...
1621628366633.png

• Wow
Reactions: anomaly and FDT

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
It's GM

They'll find a way to fuck it up

hey guys

184770750_23847680705520165_6284785430938259341_n.jpg

rebs

Fuck them Cowboys
OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Ca
I feel like I'd rather have more battery capacity than storage under the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448