CAR TECH Ford Lightning - the future is now old man

Platinum_Thunder

Reliability for life and liberty
Jun 28, 2001
For sure. Every truck owner their entire lives is used to either throwing shit in the back or in the bed for it to roll around everywhere. The bed side compartments were a great new feature I think Dodges have. But now this gives people the option to have a massive "trunk" on top of those options. I just hope they make it super functional with lots of hooks for grocery bags and/or maybe options for nets/compartments/dividers etc. I just loved the fuck out of the grocery bag hooks/latches in my Tesla trunk for stuff that I didnt want moving or rolling around and such
I mean I have hooks on my bed rails so shit doesn't roll around. But I love backing in and sometimes it's not possible to really access the bed (have tonneau cover)

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
hopefully we get some kind of sport package or something that gets us something closer to the last lightning. Hopefully a regular cab but even if not something lower with a much tighter suspension, better wheels/tires and then maybe a software upgrade like Tesla does with their P models. This probably comes in the 2nd or 3rd year.

amill94

OT ELITE iirc
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
For sure. Every truck owner their entire lives is used to either throwing shit in the back or in the bed for it to roll around everywhere. The bed side compartments were a great new feature I think Dodges have. But now this gives people the option to have a massive "trunk" on top of those options. I just hope they make it super functional with lots of hooks for grocery bags and/or maybe options for nets/compartments/dividers etc. I just loved the fuck out of the grocery bag hooks/latches in my Tesla trunk for stuff that I didnt want moving or rolling around and such
The frunk has more storage space than the trunk of my current car. The fact that it's lockable and sealed from the elements is awesome. It looks like it fits two golf bags from the preview videos.

Last edited:

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
They still have yet to figure out a system for locking away everyday stuff in the box even though 98% of useage is not loading the box up with gravel everyday. I tried drawing something up that would work but was crazy sloppy. Just suppose to have bungee strapped storage containers to hold stuff. I have one organizer that has velco that works great in the lightning with the carpet bed.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
no 600mile not loaded. meaning at full load 300 miles.
oh ok I was thinking ...the fuck?

You probably need more than 600 total to get 300 towing. I feel like I've heard a 60-80% loss in range towing :o

which you'd think wouldn't be the case with electric having all that tark

Reactions: whatever

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
im curious how much these trucks will suffer on the highway...

First of all everything suffers at highway speeds not just EVs, so people acting like its an EV only thing aint right

But range seems to be based more on city/rural, not so much highway. This seems to be more true with Teslas/Teslas maybe "rate" their shit a little different. I just wonder if a big super heavy blocky ass truck can only get 200-225 on the highway

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
oh ok I was thinking ...the fuck?

You probably need more than 600 total to get 300 towing. I feel like I've heard a 60-80% loss in range towing :o

which you'd think wouldn't be the case with electric having all that tark

I posted a TFL trucks test they did on tesla x with a 4400lb trailer, regular useage, 325 mile range to 110 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aznpho

Jazz

Powerhouse of the Scrum
Mar 14, 2000
Whistler, BC
So I'll 100% ditch my Lightning reservation for an electric Expedition Max or Navigator L

Frunk + seating for 7-9 + giant trunk area + a ridiculous amount of power :bowdown:

I hope GM took note of the presentation yesterday and starts figuring out how to cram their Ultium batteries into the Silverado/Tahoe/Suburban and their GMC and Cadillac versions and sell them for competitive prices vs Ford
This!

I have a deposit down on the lightning, but would easily give that up for a huge suv

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

Jumpem

OT Supporter
Oct 9, 2002
This!

I have a deposit down on the lightning, but would easily give that up for a huge suv
An SUV version would be more useful than an open bed. They might even be able to shorten the whole thing up a couple of feet.

MrMechanic383

$100 if you order a Tesla, Ask me how!
OT Supporter
Nov 1, 2012
Hau'ula, Hawaii
hopefully we get some kind of sport package or something that gets us something closer to the last lightning. Hopefully a regular cab but even if not something lower with a much tighter suspension, better wheels/tires and then maybe a software upgrade like Tesla does with their P models. This probably comes in the 2nd or 3rd year.
Closer as in what exactly? The new Lightning is a full second faster to 60mph and doesn't have ancient Chinese rear suspension like the older Lightnings did. It also has a very low center of gravity now and suffers from almost zero body roll.

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
Closer as in what exactly? The new Lightning is a full second faster to 60mph and doesn't have ancient Chinese rear suspension like the older Lightnings did. It also has a very low center of gravity now and suffers from almost zero body roll.

There's always room for improvements. And lightning used to be more exclusive non-mainstream which the svt brand represented. Not sure what they could do with this. Bet the weight is 50% battery so if you shorten wheelbase, weight would drop but range would be drastically effected.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
There's always room for improvements. And lightning used to be more exclusive non-mainstream which the svt brand represented. Not sure what they could do with this. Bet the weight is 50% battery so if you shorten wheelbase, weight would drop but range would be drastically effected.

no its not

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
I’m not talking about speed I’m talking about the overall package. The lightning was a badass sport truck. I don’t need to explain what made it what it was obviously. I just feel like some kind of sport package to bring it closer to what the gen 2 was would be cool. Lower, better wheels and tires, chassis and suspension upgrades and appearance stuff. Nobody would complain about a software upgrade unlocking more power either.

Arguing against this is probably the dumbest thing ever tbh

TS
TS
I<3URANUS

I<3URANUS

I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
I’m not talking about speed I’m talking about the overall package. The lightning was a badass sport truck. I don’t need to explain what made it what it was obviously. I just feel like some kind of sport package to bring it closer to what the gen 2 was would be cool. Lower, better wheels and tires, chassis and suspension upgrades and appearance stuff. Nobody would complain about a software upgrade unlocking more power either.

Arguing against this is probably the dumbest thing ever tbh
I dunno man. I love the lightning as much as the next dude that grew up in the late 90s early 00s but being upset the lightning trim isn't associated with a reg cab sports truck is kinda weird. It has been dead for 17 years. It's a literal play on words for a trim they already had marketing rights to. I wouldn't overthink it.

Ry-Ballz

This sucks, change the channel
Jan 10, 2001
Mexico
I dunno man. I love the lightning as much as the next dude that grew up in the late 90s early 00s but being upset the lightning trim isn't associated with a reg cab sports truck is kinda weird. It has been dead for 17 years. It's a literal play on words for a trim they already had marketing rights to. I wouldn't overthink it.
Exactly. I didn't like when they called the mach e a mustang, but the second I heard this called lightning, I thought it was perfect

Reactions: Jumpem

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary

Owned one for 14 years, how long for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448