CAR TECH Ford Lightning - the future is now old man

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
I dunno man. I love the lightning as much as the next dude that grew up in the late 90s early 00s but being upset the lightning trim isn't associated with a reg cab sports truck is kinda weird. It has been dead for 17 years. It's a literal play on words for a trim they already had marketing rights to. I wouldn't overthink it.
I didnt say one word about it being a regular cab or whatever it is, so I'm not sure why you think I'm upset about that. Would that be cool? Of course. Not necessary though and who's actually gonna buy a regular cab?

Literally all I'm saying is I'd like to see a sport package offered. It seems like a totally reasonable thing for something that was previously what it was to at least have some kind of sporty package you can pay for like almost everything. The F150 already has a sport package, but its just appearance. Let the regular lightning be just a good electric F150, thats cool. I'm not mad about them using the name Lightning, or the truck not being sporty. I've argued for Ford using MachE and Lightning etc because of how important "brands" are. I probably did earlier in this thread even.

I'm having a hard time processing people are arguing against a truck with a 4.4 0-60, with 563hp/775tq, named the Ford Lightning having some kind of sport or performance package offered when the base truck isn't marketed as sporty in anyway. You can get a sport package on a fucking Toyota Corolla ffs. I just cant even about this tbh

TS
TS
I<3URANUS

I<3URANUS

I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
I didnt say one word about it being a regular cab or whatever it is, so I'm not sure why you think I'm upset about that. Would that be cool? Of course. Not necessary though and who's actually gonna buy a regular cab?

Literally all I'm saying is I'd like to see a sport package offered. It seems like a totally reasonable thing for something that was previously what it was to at least have some kind of sporty package you can pay for like almost everything. The F150 already has a sport package, but its just appearance. Let the regular lightning be just a good electric F150, thats cool. I'm not mad about them using the name Lightning, or the truck not being sporty. I've argued for Ford using MachE and Lightning etc because of how important "brands" are. I probably did earlier in this thread even.

I'm having a hard time processing people are arguing against a truck with a 4.4 0-60, with 563hp/775tq, named the Ford Lightning having some kind of sport or performance package offered when the base truck isn't marketed as sporty in anyway. You can get a sport package on a fucking Toyota Corolla ffs. I just cant even about this tbh

hopefully we get some kind of sport package or something that gets us something closer to the last lightning. Hopefully a regular cab but even if not something lower with a much tighter suspension, better wheels/tires and then maybe a software upgrade like Tesla does with their P models. This probably comes in the 2nd or 3rd year.
Your post here reads pretty heavily that way. If I wrong then oh well.

No one here is arguing against what you're saying either. Can you point out where someone said they wouldn't like more?

You also just not have watched the reveal video because they literally announced it as a sportier truck. They said it's the fastest and best handling f150 of all time.

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
Once the initial hype for these dies down you'll see expansion into new trims to get hype back in. FX2, Tremor, street edition etc. It's a negligible cost for the manufacturer to churn out different trims like this so if you're patient I think the sport Lightning of your dreams is coming

TS
TS
I<3URANUS

I<3URANUS

OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
Once the initial hype for these dies down you'll see expansion into new trims to get hype back in. FX2, Tremor, street edition etc. It's a negligible cost for the manufacturer to churn out different trims like this so if you're patient I think the sport Lightning of your dreams is coming
I'm sure it will be.

TS
TS
I<3URANUS

I<3URANUS

OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX

Lightning Pro details

10k upcharge for the 300 mile battery over the 230 mile version
Ugh. $10k is too much for only 70 miles. If the charger comes with everything to run the house off of and install then I guess it's closer to being a wash.

This also outs the XLT in a really weird place from a pricing standpoint. $3k more with less range/power than the work truck? Doesn't make any sense to me.

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
Ugh. $10k is too much for only 70 miles. If the charger comes with everything to run the house off of and install then I guess it's closer to being a wash.

This also outs the XLT in a really weird place from a pricing standpoint. $3k more with less range/power than the work truck? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Yeah the extendo comes with the bidirectional charger

It's also 126 more hp and more tow capacity

TS
TS
I<3URANUS

I<3URANUS

OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
Yeah the extendo comes with the bidirectional charger

It's also 126 more hp and more tow capacity
Yeah. It makes you wonder what they're doing features wise. Maybe the upgrade all be less for the higger trim levels. (And standard on the platinum)

Or did I miss something where it said that's across all trims?

[DWI]

Master of Nothing
Aug 6, 2000
Maine
Has there been any mention of if you can plow with the electric version? I' getting sick of the snow throwing the 400+ foot driveway.

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
sorta. the rivian is for the squarely burb/urban consumer who is used to buying 150k range rovers every year.
talking to co-workers, i've heard nothing but good things about rivian, and they've poached a lot of ex-tesla guys. They have an uphill battle wrt building a brand, but the product should be solid. Competition bout to be fierce by this time next year.

Reactions: whatever

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
talking to co-workers, i've heard nothing but good things about rivian, and they've poached a lot of ex-tesla guys. They have an uphill battle wrt building a brand, but the product should be solid. Competition bout to be fierce by this time next year.

i agree to those points. saw the factory in person.

Reactions: Hisma

JohnnyBeagle

Calcutta Viper
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2004
Digital Nomad
sorta. the rivian is for the squarely burb/urban consumer who is used to buying 150k range rovers every year.
Yep, and it'll do well there. It's a lifestyle vehicle. Just like most Defender buyers aren't going deep into Moab, most people buying 4.5ft bed Rivians with optional spare tires aren't doing real work. Great to have options, I want one of each

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Yep, and it'll do well there. It's a lifestyle vehicle. Just like most Defender buyers aren't going deep into Moab, most people buying 4.5ft bed Rivians with optional spare tires aren't doing real work. Great to have options, I want one of each

yup. the hamptons guy who have a "farm" in the berk's

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448