CREW Formula 1 Crew: 2022 Summer Silly Season has begun - Aug 28th next race

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
I've done that before, but I'm not doing that shit on my DD or my wife's MDX. If I had a sports car then sure. Did it on my DD for 4 or 5 years and it was mostly a PITA. Hell I tracked my BMW on Michelin PS AS3's :rofl:
I imagine your winters are quite a bit milder than ours, I don't mind swapping them out for the peace of mind in the winter time. I've been caught in blizzard conditions on a few different occasions and had 0 issues getting home even with over a foot of snow on the ground.

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
I imagine your winters are quite a bit milder than ours, I don't mind swapping them out for the peace of mind in the winter time. I've been caught in blizzard conditions on a few different occasions and had 0 issues getting home even with over a foot of snow on the ground.
I remember many a year ago pirelli winters were all we could get for a guy who wanted winters for his 911. :mamoru:

• Barf
Reactions: yonson

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
It would be an improvement bro :dunno:

And they're available on tire rack so they can be mounted and balanced all included in the price!
We do call them the poor mans drag radial... Because they are so soft they fucking hook like mad, but in warmer temps they will start chunking really easily.

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
We do call them the poor mans drag radial... Because they are so soft they fucking hook like mad, but in warmer temps they will start chunking really easily.
Did you see the inside of the Ferrari tires last week? Chunking is a requirement bro.

Chicane

Ad Hoc
OT Supporter
May 4, 2001
West Virginia
What does pirelli get for having their name plastered all over the premier racing league?

Advertising. Lots and lots of advertising.

And yes. I'd bet a lot of people buy their tires because of it.
I propose a cooking show where an oven company sponsor the entire thing. Their name is everywhere, on the screen literally ever moment of the episodes.

Soon, the viewer starts to note how every Chef has their meals burned because the ovens are unable to control the temperature properly.
The Chefs comment to their help about how the ovens are difficult to switch on and how once you get them hot, the damn things turn off again. The meals are almost always ruined.

Eventually, everyone just knows their oven sucks, but they are so worn down by their woes, they smile about it.

I guess our media adoring public would buy some of those ovens. They wouldn't sell one to a real Chef though.

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
I propose a cooking show where an oven company sponsor the entire thing. Their name is everywhere, on the screen literally ever moment of the episodes.

Soon, the viewer starts to note how every Chef has their meals burned because the ovens are unable to control the temperature properly.
The Chefs comment to their help about how the ovens are difficult to switch on and how once you get them hot, the damn things turn off again. The meals are almost always ruined.

Eventually, everyone just knows their oven sucks, but they are so worn down by their woes, they smile about it.

I guess our media adoring public would buy some of those ovens. They wouldn't sell one to a real Chef though.
Real chefs don't buy the vast, vast, vast majority of ovens. :hsugh:

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
Point missed, focus on irrelevant unrelated tangent, use emoji to twist the knife. Win the internet for the day.

I am consumed with shame.
Anyone who knows how f1 works knows pirelli is making shit tires at the FIAs direction.

The vast majority of people watching f1 that want tires for their civic don't give a shit and just see pirelli on race cars.

I'm sorry this isn't common sense for you.

phat🐄

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
All the story lines and all I can think of is how after all these years, I now actively hate the FIA and Pirelli over the tire rules and their construction. It's simply absurd to have pencil eraser tires on what could be the most exciting F1 cars in a generation (or two).
God help the driver that pushes a bit or gets the tires one degree Celsius hotter thirty seconds before he was supposed to.

What does Pirelli get out of this arrangement? Does a single race fan look at this stuff and decide to purchase a set for their own car?

it was a different time. gas was cheap, and it was a buyer's market for these kind of cars, high trimmed, higher mileage luxury suvs. i drove 13 hours one way for this thing, and as soon as i got back, i knew i needed tyres. due to F1, i specifically ordered these Pirelli Scorpions.

-- Sent from my Dell PC while on a Webex , vaping my VUSE.

cIE4Vyw.png

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
it was a different time. gas was cheap, and it was a buyer's market for these kind of cars, high trimmed, higher mileage luxury suvs. i drove 13 hours one way for this thing, and as soon as i got back, i knew i needed tyres. due to F1, i specifically ordered these Pirelli Scorpions.

-- Sent from my Dell PC while on a Webex , vaping my VUSE.

cIE4Vyw.png
I remember long ago, back when things were sensible. People used to care about the pedigree of their tires. Truly magnificent and glorious brands with perfect histories. Something that you would be proud of putting on your rusted 20 year old beater.

Things were so much better. But now today, these people treat those beaters like trash. Not even beginning to take into account how a purpose build tire for a race car should sway their tire choices.

Truly we are at the end of times.

Last edited:

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
I remember long ago, back when things were sensible. People used to care about the pedigree of their tires. Truly magnificent and glorious brands with perfect histories. Something that you would be proud of putting on your rusted 20 year old beater.

Things were so much better. But now today, these people treat those beaters like trash. Not even beginning to take into account how a purpose build tire for a race car should sway theolur choices.

The well informed still do, but you are unfortunately correct for the majority of the general population...

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
The well informed still do, but you are unfortunately correct for the majority of the general population...
And the general population buys the most tires. I remember memeing pimp my ride and the "We finished off the whip with some pirelli p-zero tires." Because advertising *works*.

My subie has pirellis. Did I buy them because they're a great tire? Fuck no.

I got them because they were the cheapest tire with the longest tread warranty.

But at the same time, if pirelli sold the best tire for me based on my own research, I'm not going to go "Well sure, but those f1 tires sure do suck so I'll get something else."

Of course not.

phat🐄

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA

Things were so much better. But now today, these people treat those beaters like trash. Not even beginning to take into account how a purpose build tire for a race car should sway theolur choices.

"sir. are you sure you dont want the Kuhmos? they are 80 bucks cheaper and come with a rebate on top of it."
"naw dawg, does it LOOK like i want anything BUT Pirellis???" as i pull out my fob with the supersoft keyring attached to it

in hindsight, at 17.95 each , they were a decent value. they are EIGHTY TWO DOLLARS nowadays.

pDfS09g.png

3BPHBAI.png
:bowrofl:

Newt

OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
"sir. are you sure you dont want the Kuhmos? they are 80 bucks cheaper and come with a rebate on top of it."
"naw dawg, does it LOOK like i want anything BUT Pirellis???" as i pull out my fob with the supersoft keyring attached to it

in hindsight, at 17.95 each , they were a decent value. they are EIGHTY TWO DOLLARS nowadays.

pDfS09g.png

3BPHBAI.png
:bowrofl:
Oooooooo so squishy tho!

• Haha
Reactions: phat🐄

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wet0529