CREW Formula 1 Crew: 2022 Summer Silly Season has begun - Aug 28th next race

Charlie

omghi2u
OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2005
Atlanta
I stand by my assessment that Stroll Sr. loves smart investments more than having his son in F1. Right now, if they keep a former WDC in the other seat they are probably getting all the development feedback they need and thus are not held back by having Lance as a driver. But I would bet strongly that if AM got in championship contention and having Lance turned into a hinderance that he would be replaced with a quickness. Likely with some BS/PR excuse to go with it.
They won't ever win anything without their own power unit. Neither will mclaren or any other customer team.

Reactions: Inti

Chicane

Ad Hoc
OT Supporter
May 4, 2001
West Virginia
They won't ever win anything without their own power unit. Neither will mclaren or any other customer team.
Agree hundred percent.

How about the prospect of Benz nearing the end of their Project One (project), knowing their preferred driver is near retirement and the ever increasing focus on EV in their marketplace? Toto, possibly looking for an exit strategy of his own, cozies up with the Board of Directors and compels them to sell the F1 engine assets to Lawrence Stroll.

It is rebranded as Aston Martin. This provides a cloaked factory engine for AM to exploit as a Manufacturer, it supports the continuing arrangement for AM to use MB engines in street cars and even works toward the persistent rumor that by the 2024 model year that select MB dealerships in the USA will start being AM dealerships as well.

And....it keeps MB technically inside F1 so they can monitor their German compatriots enter the series and feel out their own existence. It gives MB a way to stick a toe back in if they want.

Toto can either continue, likely at the co-helm of the newly branded engine manufacturer OR he can throw out the golden parachute and leaves on top with more money than he can justify.

I just think that we are all looking at AM 2022 and Lawrence is looking at AM 2024 or 2025.

• Wow
Reactions: CitznFish

ihaveanevilplan

Everybody wake up, wake up, it's time to get down
Jul 9, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Agree hundred percent.

How about the prospect of Benz nearing the end of their Project One (project), knowing their preferred driver is near retirement and the ever increasing focus on EV in their marketplace? Toto, possibly looking for an exit strategy of his own, cozies up with the Board of Directors and compels them to sell the F1 engine assets to Lawrence Stroll.

It is rebranded as Aston Martin. This provides a cloaked factory engine for AM to exploit as a Manufacturer, it supports the continuing arrangement for AM to use MB engines in street cars and even works toward the persistent rumor that by the 2024 model year that select MB dealerships in the USA will start being AM dealerships as well.

And....it keeps MB technically inside F1 so they can monitor their German compatriots enter the series and feel out their own existence. It gives MB a way to stick a toe back in if they want.

Toto can either continue, likely at the co-helm of the newly branded engine manufacturer OR he can throw out the golden parachute and leaves on top with more money than he can justify.

I just think that we are all looking at AM 2022 and Lawrence is looking at AM 2024 or 2025.
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Polish

OT Supporter
Nov 10, 2003
I stand by my assessment that Stroll Sr. loves smart investments more than having his son in F1. Right now, if they keep a former WDC in the other seat they are probably getting all the development feedback they need and thus are not held back by having Lance as a driver. But I would bet strongly that if AM got in championship contention and having Lance turned into a hinderance that he would be replaced with a quickness. Likely with some BS/PR excuse to go with it.
I don't think he would ever boot his son out of F1, having the "Stroll" name among the driver list is probably priority #1. Plus the bad PR from that would be immense, it would come across as such a slight from dad to son. Unless Stroll got a drive on another team or Stroll Sr has to sell the team, he is a lifer for sure.

Chirp08

OT Supporter
Jan 26, 2008

we are talking about a guy who thought the best way to combat some bad PR was to respond with an Al Qaeda tape expressing his anger. I'm not convinced every decision he makes is that smart.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Msds