Four dead on K2 in the last 3 days after winter summit attempt ends in disaster

anomaly

Only 00s are OGs
Oct 12, 2000
The Town

KARACHI, Pakistan — Some climbers call it “the savage mountain.” K2 stands as the world’s second-tallest summit, after Mount Everest, and some climbers consider it even more perilous. Only last month did one group become the first to successfully scale it during winter, braving dangerously thin air and temperatures that can plunge past minus 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

On Monday, rescuers and mountaineers underscored the dangers of climbing K2 in winter after the authorities in Pakistan said that three climbers had been missing since Friday and that hopes of finding them alive were evaporating. The missing climbers were Muhammad Ali Sadpara, a 45-year-old from Pakistan; John Snorri, 47, from Iceland; and Juan Pablo Mohr, a 33-year-old Chilean.

The authorities said that they would continue the search on Tuesday after halting operations briefly on Monday because of poor visibility. But officials and some family members expressed little hope that the three would be found alive.

“There is no hope for anyone to survive at 8,000 meters after three days,” said Sajid Ali Sadpara, the son of Mr. Sadpara. The younger Mr. Sadpara had been part of the expedition but aborted his ascent at an altitude of 8,200 meters after his oxygen pipe started leaking. “Now the search operation should continue to recover the bodies,” he added.

One additional climber died while descending from C3 to basecamp after deciding to forego the summit attempt.

DaZ

System 9 And The 7 Dwarfs
OT Supporter
Aug 12, 2004
MA
Ahhhh never mind. Thought you were talking about that "spice". Shit gets you lifted

• Haha
Reactions: hoody and Hisma
TS
TS
anomaly

anomaly

Only 00s are OGs
Oct 12, 2000
The Town
I assume these dudes are probably lifelong mountaineers, not some finance bro that got an itch to pay someone to carry his stuff up Everest
Yea, all who died had done 10 or more of the 8k meter peaks. You don't just lace up your boots and head to K2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feels Good Man

emanuel

baby girl, how do I look in my durag?
Oct 28, 2005
SoCal
I assume these dudes are probably lifelong mountaineers, not some finance bro that got an itch to pay someone to carry his stuff up Everest
This distinction makes their deaths all the more understandable and tragic imo :hs:

TS
TS
anomaly

anomaly

Only 00s are OGs
Oct 12, 2000
The Town
I’d like to go to the top and just never make it back down
One hopes the 3 that died at least were able to summit. A team of 10 Nepalese sherpa did the first K2 winter summit in December, the last of the 8kmers. Feb 4/5 was the next window and was clearly not the same outcome.

Last edited:

rcm

Bully Troll Crew
OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
Body recovery ?

Imagine trying to drag a 180lb block of icy body behind you when you can barely move and breathe at that height.........they gonna stay up there.

:o

Yes, sometimes they just leave them there. There are articles about the bodies on Everest.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan