FTP server help needed...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EDawg, Mar 11, 2004.

1. EDawg

EDawg Guest

i'm trying to set up an ftp server on my computer and i am having a frustrating time getting it to work. i'm running serv-U on my computer which is behind a linksys router. i've configured the router to forward port 21 to the computer running serv-U. i've also set up a domain on serv-u using port 21 and set up a couple of accounts under that domain. furthermore, i've disabled my firewall (for now) just to make things as simple as possible. with my current set up, i have no problem using a ftp client on another computer connected to the same router to access the ftp server, but when someone over the internet tries to access it, they can't connect. my internet provider assigns me a dynamic IP address, so i always look it up and input that address as the host on the ftp client, set the port to 21, and enter the valid login and password. so from what i've said, can anyone please tell me what i am doing wrong or am forgetting to do?? btw, my dsl provider is sbc...if that matters.

2. SLED

SLED custom title

check with your ISP, most now block port 21 and 80 on all their routers so you can't serve like you're trying to do. You can, however, run your ftp server on a different port.

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

you need port 20 as well as 21

4. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

Why?

5. col_panic

6. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

never have I opened 20 ... interesting ...

7. col_panic