Fuck Nvidia and EVGA, Im swiching to ATI and ASUS

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by o2, Jan 30, 2007.

1. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

First time I went with Nvidia GFX card (7900gtx) and nForce chipset (evga 680i).... and this will be my last. Nothing but problems. Flicking problem with the video card when clicking on videos, now the RAID service/CP keeps crashing, PC restarted when I plugged in a USB keyboard (couldn't replicate the problem again).... I had enough.

Im thinking of switching to a Asus P5B Deluxe and X1950 XTX. is that mobo any good? I heard there is a problem with SATA raid (Im not gonna boot from raid, I have a raptor for that).

I need a mobo that supports 6 SATA HDs, and RAID 0+1 or 10. I dont really care for SLI or Crossfire. It needs to support QX6700 as well.

2. negative zero

negative zero Active Member

My 680i has been fine but I don't run RAID. Probably elementary but have you got the newest BIOS? It's N24 and was released Jan. 12th or so.

Also waht drivers are you running for graphics? I have a 7950GT KO and 92.9.1's.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Think about getting a new PSU. Sounds like a power problem. Even if it doesn't seem like it.

I have a 6800GS AGP and I was having problems getting XP to the login/welcome screen. Then while just browsing images on my HDD, when I hit the arrow keys to move around the image the screen would go blank.
    Set it to eVGA and got a replacement and still had problems booting with it.

Put in my 5700LE it was all ok. But I still had problems getting to the login screen at times. It was when the DVD burner would burn to some brands of DVDRs just fine but not read the disc that I started thinking something else was wrong rather than a graphics card. When the system restarted while starting up a smallish 3D game that I went with a friend's suggestion to get a new PSU.

I am now back to using my replacement 6800GS AGP (before the stock verison, not the eVGA OC'ed version). System boots just fine to the login screen just like it should.

2-3yr old Antec TruePower 430W replaced for a Cooler Master eXtreme 430W.
    I'm not going to suggest this unit for you since it doesn't have a PCIE connection, but then there are ways around that.
    The point is, before spending $300 on a new video card, thinking about spending up to $100 for a new PSU.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I have an eVGA nVidia video card running on an Intel motherboard with RAID and it works flawlessly. :dunno:

5. o2

I got a 600W OCZ PSU, and I dont see how a bad PSU can be crashing a raid service program, or causing flickering.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

so i see you are selling them on RFD :mamoru:

7. negative zero

negative zero Active Member

:rofl: what's rfd?

8. lowfat

red flag deals. its a canadian site to sell shit.

9. o2

That shit works fine on its own, its just not compatable with each other apparently.

10. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm not saying it is, but it absolutely could be the psu.

Failing psu's have to be the most under appreciated problem in computers.

Everything has an optimal voltage range. Get outside of that range and you will see every hardware problem under the sun start happening.

At the very least, if you have a mulit-meter laying around you could check the voltages yourself.

12. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

And yes, fucked PSUs can make all sorts of weird shit happen.

13. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

I don't see how a bad PSU can cause my DVD burner to not read a disc it just burned with no problems, but it did.

Look, give it a shot. If it doesn't work you can take the PSU back and go get you crap ass ATI card.

14. o2

Well, I guess it might not be a coinsedance that there was partial grid failure in Ontario last night, causing partial power losses all over the city, after which I found my PC turned off in the morning (I keep it running 24/7).

but the flickering shit was there since day 1, and I kinda learned to live with it, but the crashing raidservice is rather new.

Does it even need to be running by any chance? I mean, I can still access my array......

15. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

I've never had a good experience with an nVidia board. Any Intel board using an ICH8R southbridge will support RAID10 and have 6 SATA ports.

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you're not using an ASUS or an Intel motherboard, that's definitely your first mistake. The power supply could be an issue too, as pointed out earlier. That said, I seriously doubt there's anything wrong with your nVidia video card. As much as I like ATI, I really, really hate their Catalyst software nowadays, and they absolutely refuse to improve its load time or its memory usage. Stick with nVidia until AMD gets ATI to get their shit straight.

17. deusexaethera

I'm not sure what you mean by the "RAID Service". Was that a piece of software that came with your motherboard, used for monitoring a hardware-controlled RAID built into the motherboard? Or is it a piece of software that actually OPERATES the RAID? If it's the former, you don't need to have it running; if it's the latter, you absolutely need to have it running.

18. o2

Im thinking is the former, because I disbaled it, and I still have access to my stuff and I can read/write to the array, and the speed is the same.

Im thinking of replacing the mobo with Asus P5B Deluxe, but I heard it has RAID issues. Can anyone confirm?

But god dammit, I rather shoot myself in the head than rebuild the entire computer again. I HATE messing with hardware.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  19. lowfat

Don't know about RAID issues, but I had a lot of bios issues when i had my P5B-D.

20. o2

Oh? like what?

21. deusexaethera

Does that board have a new BIOS available yet?

22. lowfat

- When i start the system up the computer would shut off-turn on-shut off-then proceed to startup.
    -My videocard would run @ 1X PCIe if over 350FSB

these were the two big ones that bothered me. The first issue was resolved with a bios for most parts. Although some (including mine) still suffered from it. The second issue quite a few peope say it can be resolved by setting the PCIe bus and southbridge voltage to the right amounts, but it doesn't always work either. However there is no bios fix for this at the moment, and Asus has known about the issue for many months.

23. o2

Well, I dont really plan to do any hardcore overclocking, so I guess it shouldn't affect me. Plus, Im sure the latest version of the board + bios will work okay. Im more concerned with RAID.

I got a reply from BFG "support", He told me its flickering because the +12 rail is running at 12.51V, which he claims is dangerously high. Is 12.51 V dangerously high? I seriously doubt that....

24. lowfat

12.51V is very high, but where are you getting that reading from? If sofware it cannot be trusted. Use a multimeter and test the molex and see if that is correct.

25. o2

Im reading it in BIOS. PC Wizard 2007 told me 13.9, lol.

Can I lower it somehow? I know you can tweak the CPU core voltage, and etc.