GUN G17 vs G17L vs G34 - Which would you buy?

KGB ate my bread

EVERYTHING IS FINE
OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
Looking at all three. I'm leaning more towards the G17l and G34. I know, longer barrel = slower draw and other things, but my plans after buying the gun are to shoot a lot of paper. And maybe a bad guy if they ever creep in through the window :noes:

SEriously though, which would you suggest? This will be my frist hand gun, and I'm figuring that whichever I go with, I plan to keep a while. I've shot my buddy's G22 a few times and like the .40cal, but I think I want to go with a 9mm simply because it'll be cheaper for me to shoot.

I guess I should also throw out there that I'm liking the 17l/34 more since they seem to be more accurate with their longer barrels (easier for sighting, higher velocity).

So, which would you recommend?

TS
TS
KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread

EVERYTHING IS FINE
OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
Glock17.jpg

vs.

G17L.jpg

vs.

34.gif

vwpilot

Jan 9, 2005
If you plan to do any competition shooting with it, stick with the 34 since the L is not legal in USPSA production or IDPA.

TS
TS
KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread

EVERYTHING IS FINE
OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
If you plan to do any competition shooting with it, stick with the 34 since the L is not legal in USPSA production or IDPA.
I hope to one day be a good enough shot to consider something like that.

However, I'm nowheres near being able to consider such a thing yet :rofl: :hsd: But I had read that as well that they're no-longer allowed in certain shooting competitions. Thanks for the heads up though :bigthumb:

vwpilot

Jan 9, 2005
You seriously do not need to be a great shot to do that stuff. Every time I do an IDPA or USPSA match, there are always "beginners" there that are simply out for a leisurely afternoon shoot.

I can guarantee that if you can shoot half decent at all, you will never come in last at one of the local events.

Soybomb

Aug 30, 2003
Illinois
I've been thinking about that a while and dropped the 17l for not being good for competition. Several people say they feel faster moving between targets with the 17...some don't. I think I'll ultimately be picking up a cheap used 17 and using the money I saved to modify it to my own tastes, perhaps even send it to Yar's place.

Market Garden

You seriously do not need to be a great shot to do that stuff. Every time I do an IDPA or USPSA match, there are always "beginners" there that are simply out for a leisurely afternoon shoot.

I can guarantee that if you can shoot half decent at all, you will never come in last at one of the local events.
:werd:

Get out there and do it! It's a ton of fun.

yar1182

Mar 26, 2008
Ventura California
I'f I were recommending something for somebody starting then the 34. It comes out of the box, fairly ready to rock and roll. After a few more minor mods it's a damn good gun.

The 17 of course would be the best choice for carry out of the 3 and it is the best foundation for a custom glock.

I would love to have a 17L because they are hard to get in CA and after a ton of work they can be a really smoking steel plate gun.

Soybomb you should get a damn glock over to me so I can hook you up proper like.

AB13

Jul 8, 2006
Auburn, WA
yeah, out of those three the 34 is the most versatile and more shooter/competitor friendly.

You could shoot IDPA or USPSA production, Limited or L10 with it.

TS
TS
KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread

EVERYTHING IS FINE
OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
If I wanted to punch holes in paper and had the money and could find one, then I'd go with the 17L.

I have a 26 and a 34.
really? hmm

I guess it'll come down to whichever I can find for the cheapest and is available then. I've basically decided in my mind that I'll be happy with either the 34 or 17L. I kinda want the 17L more just cause it's rarer, which inherently strikse me as being cooler..

Why must they make great guns which inevitably makes deciding harder on me :mad:

2L Bunny

"It's only a Rabbit"
May 18, 2001
OR
If you plan to do any self defense and ever carry it I'd go G17. Unless it was a "game" only gun get a G17. Start from there and if you feel the need for another get a G34.

FWIW, I have a 19, 17 and will get a 34 eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor