GUN G19 Barrel?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LennySEC, Sep 24, 2004.

1. LennySEC

LennySEC New Member

what prep stuff ahould i do to this gun if it has not been fired in 8 years? Lastly, shoule there be nay play in the chamber (up and down. meaning, when i push down on it, it moves). Is that normal? Thanks guys:bigthumb:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  2. Furner

Furner New Member

omg your barrel has swirl groves in it??? shit good thing you didnt shoot that its deadly once those groves are in there.

in all seriousness, you need to learn about guns. if you dont even know that normal firearm barrels use twist groves to stabilize the projectile, you should read up before trying to clean or use a gun.

3. LennySEC

LennySEC New Member

thanks for all the helpfull advise. Maybe that is why i am here asking questions?:)

4. user32

user32 Guest

The play in the barrel could be normal.... to test this pull your slide slightly out of battery (back) and hold the gun strait up (muzzle pointed to the sky). If the slide returns to battery (goes back into position) then your gun is fine, if not then you need to replace the recoil spring assembly.

5. Furner

Furner New Member

asking questions is just fine, but when someone is talking about firing a gun, and asking what the spiral things are inside the bore, it would somewhat concern me. look into your local sportsmans club and see if they offer the NRA beginning pistol course. its a good course, and it might be right up your alley.

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Please don't take this wrong, but...

Don't be the guy who "accidentally" shoots himself or someone else. Too many people do it and nobody thinks it’s going to be them. I believe you are at risk for a negligent discharge due to your lack of firearm familiarity. Coming here to ask questions is fine (PLEASE DON'T STOP ASKING QUESTIONS) but you need to read more on your own because there are questions you don't yet know to ask. You seem eager to learn but asking a question about rifling in a barrel is a little sketchy. Offtopic should not be your main source for information about firearms and their safe handling.

I second the advice that an NRA basic pistol course would go a long way to getting you some of the knowledge you need.

Because it never hurts to review the 4 basic safety rules, here they are:
    1. Treat ALL Guns as if they Are LOADED

2. Point the muzzle in a safe direction (Safe meaning "at something you are willing to destroy”)

3. Keep your finger off the trigger and straight along the frame until you are on target and ready to fire

4. Be sure of your target and what's behind it

I would never want to discourage someone who is new to firearms and shooting but I also don’t want to see you hurt yourself or someone else. Please get some training or at least read a book or two. Guns are not forgiving to ignorance or negligence.

7. LennySEC

LennySEC New Member

thanks for the advise, and no it is not taken the wrong way. I have looked into a NRA course near me and am going to take you. The area that i fall short in is the components of a firearm. I have been shooting hand guns since i was 12, but was never taught anything about them. The class tha i looked at told me that i have to provide my own firearm, that is why i was asking those questions...

8. Furner

Furner New Member

if you ask the person running the class, i am sure they would be able to loan you a properly functioning handgun for the class. i asked for my class and they were happy to loan me one.

9. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Are all guns in the world really loaded?

No, they are not.

The purpose of rule one is to condemn the practice of having two separate gun handling practices for unloaded and loaded firearms. If every gun IS loaded you could never have dry fire practice. If every gun IS loaded you could never clear a weapon for storage. If every gun IS loaded you could never ship it back to the manufacture for repair or fly with it in your luggage because both the post office and the airline will ask if it is loaded and you would have to say yes. And on and on...

Memorizing the 4 rules is good. Understanding the meaning of the rules is better.

10. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Don't stop asking questions.

Furner is right; most NRA instructors will lend or rent you a firearm for a class. The NRA First Steps or Basic Pistol course is designed to take a person from a zero starting point to being safe while handling and shooting a pistol. There is a decent amount of course content dedicated to the parts of a pistol and revolver and their function.