CREW Garage lighting crew v.whatisudoin'

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
We're building a house as some on OT are aware. We're working through our lighting selections now and we've got most of the house done. However, I am unsure what to use in the garage. Right now I've just got 5 2xLED tube style shop lights. However, a few folks have now all steered me towards these:

The garage is moderately sized at 900 sq ft. So I need several of whatever I choose. Any thoughts or recommendations would be great.

amill94

OT ELITE iirc
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
We're building a house as some on OT are aware. We're working through our lighting selections now and we've got most of the house done. However, I am unsure what to use in the garage. Right now I've just got 5 2xLED tube style shop lights. However, a few folks have now all steered me towards these:

The garage is moderately sized at 900 sq ft. So I need several of whatever I choose. Any thoughts or recommendations would be great.

Don't use those unless you have an existing older garage with a bare bulb socket and you don't want to upgrade to proper lighting.

I'd go with 4 or 6 bulb fixtures using LED bulbs that are T8 sized.

amill94

OT ELITE iirc
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003

I went with 3 of these in a high bay, but they're expensive.
Where the fuck were you with this when I made my garage lighting thread a few months ago. How much were they I didn't see the pricing in the link you posted.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
I wouldn't use edison sockets and those personally. tube lighting. long strings.

I have a single edison always on socket with a motion sense that is nice for wandering in there at night.

amill94

OT ELITE iirc
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Sorry!

Depending on the size $300 to $1000 or so each.

Thanks. What size did you go with? These are substantially higher in lumen output than anything else that is LED that I saw available. I was looking for 12k lumens per fixture with a total of 4 fixtures. These easily exceed that.

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Don't use those unless you have an existing older garage with a bare bulb socket and you don't want to upgrade to proper lighting.

I can do whatever I want. So if these suck then I won't use them. I'm planning for 5 of these (not necessarily this brand but this general design)

amill94

OT ELITE iirc
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
I can do whatever I want. So if these suck then I won't use them. I'm planning for 5 of these (not necessarily this brand but this general design)

Depending on what you're doing in the garage you'll want more light than what you'll get out of those. Give them a shot and see if it's enough. As long as you have the outlets in place you can always change to something else with more output in the future.

Thumpin'Ram

I'll level with you. These bags weren't designed f
Jul 15, 2001
Goodbye mailbox
Thanks. What size did you go with? These are substantially higher in lumen output than anything else that is LED that I saw available. I was looking for 12k lumens per fixture with a total of 4 fixtures. These easily exceed that.
I did 3 of the 225w. They're very nice.

Reactions: amill94

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Jew Space Laser Control Center
I wouldn't use edison sockets and those personally. tube lighting. long strings.

I have a single edison always on socket with a motion sense that is nice for wandering in there at night.
I've use a motion detector light switch for that. Works like a champ.

Need to order a few more for things like closets, pantries, etc.

Thumpin'Ram

I'll level with you. These bags weren't designed f
Jul 15, 2001
Goodbye mailbox
Did you order direct from their site or is there a distributor you had to go through? Also, do they direct wire to power or do they offer a plug in option?
It was new construction, so the electrical contractor took care of it.

But a quick Google search shows some online vendors.

https://www.beeslighting.com/RAIL225W-D10?keyword={bkeyword}&creative={bcreative}&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwMP9BRCzARIsAPWTJ_G2xqPuB5Puj0r3w2-k740nhveT72IhbEa8NnsSSyivsDWIuebXD1gaArkaEALw_wcB

Reactions: amill94

CraneCamsOU

Sep 1, 2003

This is the way to go. Even if that one light is super bright it will cast shadows at whatever you're working on. Several T8s around the full ceiling area will keep everything well lit from all angles.

tripledazed

Degenerate
OT Supporter
Sep 26, 2005
Ottawa
I have those lights in the first post in my garage. They work really well but if you are starting from scratch there are probably better options

Reactions: 6SpeedTA95

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State
Definitely get long LED shop lighting... you may not need linkable if you're starting a new build, but definitely make sure you have enough junction boxes/jumpers to support as many lights as you want.

Once again, those "multi bulb screw into a single socket" things are ghetto as fuck, don't get them

crontab

Oracle doesn't have customers, they have hostages.
Nov 14, 2000
costco or samsclub led for $20 each. keep it simple stupid

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor