SRS General Anxiety disorder

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RebootEnzo, Nov 28, 2009.

1. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I think a fair amount of the things that I don't do in life are related to fear. At first I thought only people who could have GAD are people who have a hard time making friends or going out. When I moved I felt relieved to have made such good friends here with no connections of my own to start with. I did this in my element though around beer. Even with my new friends I still have some basic and silly fears. Some of them of course relate to girls. Which was another reason I discounted having GAD..

Here a some of the problems try not to :rofl: too much.

-I have a really hard time with introductions and names. Especially with girls I feel awkward.

-Have a hard time with good byes. I have stayed somewhere way to long just because I hate awkward good byes.

-Small talk is just about impossible with me. With guys or girls but I find it quite annoying a girl is trying to talk to me and I have hardly anything to say back. Or I only talk about things in my element. Things girls could care less about. But this is the reason I at least have friends. I have no problem relating to all the hobbies that I am too that most people find quite fun.

-Jobs. I am pretty much scared to apply for certain jobs because I think they would be way to far out of what I want to do. So I stay within what I have been doing for years.

-Volunteering. I really have been wanting to do something but to scared to even get out there and do it. Was really thinking about doing Homes for Vets as my entire family is military and doing something for the vets would me something for me. This tasks seems daunting to me as I am not good with random people and small talk.

-Asking for help is not something I like to do. I have improved this for college sake.

-Then I also think about how I am going to be dead in a few years from my heart so why give a fuck at all. I really don't know that but I do know my heart isn't right.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

And in general I have a hard time being productive and starting my day. Lets say I have two hours of homework and it is due at midnight. Well my entire day will be spent doing that homework one sentence at a time. Instead of doing it and the rest of the day to do things.

3. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

I don't get it, do you think you have GAD or was it a misspelling when you wrote you discounted it?

Because everything you posted, the fear, the hypochondria, etc... are all things that are associated with anxiety.

4. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I discounted it because I have never had a problem meeting people or having friends. And the fact they I don't spend the weekend at home.

5. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

I think you are confusing GAD with social anxiety.

6. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I guess someone with GAD would be stressed all the time and not just in social areas.

7. blackbirdbeatle

You have GAD. If you looked up textbook bullet points of what that encompasses, you'll find that many of the points are what you've gave us as examples.

And you do sound like you have social anxiety. Social anxiety isn't an all or nothing thing. You aren't bad with small talk, as you do a lot of it with your friends. Most of the conversations with your friends are not meaningful outside of the fact that they maintain the relationship and provide a bridge to deeper topics. So again, it's the fear that is preventing you from making small talk. You know how to do it.

It also sounds like you are starting to develop a bit of agoraphobia. It doesn't start with all out panic attacks but avoidance of the public to calm your fears. All these things you listed are very common with people with GAD. If you don't get help right away pretty soon your body will start to interpret these ridiculous fears as normal and the adrenaline response to thinking and worrying about these things that'll likely never happen as okay. Then it will start to feel good to worry and avoid things as it provides a bodily response that you are familiar with.

I always recommend some basic books about this but I think you'll find that medication will help until you can work out the psychological issues. The books are: The Worry Cure and The Feeling Good handbook. The latter deals with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, something that would help you tremendously. Seeing a therapist about this is usually very short, less than 2-3 months worth of sessions at once a week. What's wrong with you is likely all in your mind. You have nothing wrong with your heart, you aren't bad with small talk (It's situational), the jobs you avoid aren't out of your element.

And if you want to get good at meeting girls and strangers, then read Goodbye To Shy. It's all about forced exposure. It's how anybody gets good at anything social.

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Doesn't sound like GAD to me. The symptoms are focused on social issues, health. Maybe hypochondria along with poor relationship skills which leads to social anxiety, but not social phobia yet (I don't know the severity of the problem for what he's saying).

9. blackbirdbeatle

Hypochondria is a GAD symptom. A rather common one. Not to the level of people with full out panic attacks but still common. As is the fear that prevents him from approaching others in certain situations and the fear that stops him from going out into the world and taking risks. He worries all the time going by his posts and that's the biggest clue.

10. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

One thing I do have to say is I do have something wrong with my heart. My doctor told me so and said that I should start taking medication for my heart. This is not something I just pulled out of the air.

11. blackbirdbeatle

Are you taking medication for that now? If the doctor told you that you will be fine if you take the medication then don't make the leap to dying in a few years because of it.

12. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

No because heart problems may prevent me from going to OCS after college so I never got an RX for them.

13. blackbirdbeatle

I suppose I don't have to tell you how foolish that is. And that nobody is going to think you're brave for going after a dream if the risk is your life.

14. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

The important thing is not the amount of worry but the subject of worry. It seems social and health based. GAD would be about running late, money, accidents, forgetting stuff and so on.
    Hypochondria is a disorder by itself btw. Not sure if it fits though.

15. blackbirdbeatle

GAD is about constant worry. Doesn't matter what as most everything sets it off, they are pessimists. Hypochondria comes with many cases of GAD. Of course it's different, but it's also due to GAD in these kinds of cases so they lump them in together. Same with agoraphobia to varying degrees.

But now we know that he really does have a health issue, he's just not handling it in a good way.

16. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I had a quick stint in clinical psychology and in our diagnosis class there was a big emphasis on how anxiety disorders differ according to the subject of worry. GAD is about worrying about daily hassles (chores, money, work, school, they're thought process is governed by "what if"). Constant worry can be about a lot of things and is not a characteristic of GAD. People with OCD worry constantly about being neat for exameple, people with Social Anxiety worry about other people's judgement and so on.

What you're talking about with GAD an hypochondria is comorbidity. It happens, but there are many causes which can explain comorbidity.

17. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

I have Agoraphobia a bit. Don't let it get as far as mine has.
    I have trouble traveling far out and on the highways a bit. :hsd:

18. Thascius

Thascius Guest

I'd say what's more important than precisely what type of anxiety is at issue is what you can do about it. When you have anxieties about a lot of different issues, it's hard to deal with any one issue in a satisfactory way, but if you can pick just one thing to start (eg. decide that, no matter how you feel, you'll start volunteering somewhere within the next week), you might find it easier to tackle the next issue. Everything big can be broken into small bits.