GUN Getting my tax return and want to buy my first firearm

AKing

It's like we've got each others backs
Mar 15, 2001
Rhode Island
First and formost I am a beginner. I have big palms with tiny thin fingers (please do not mock :hs:)

So far the 3 guns i have shot are

HK 40S&W compact
Walter... a 22 of some kind
Sig p250 40S&W compact

For the first two i didn't have much time with each and probably only going about 20 rounds each. Well last night my cousin felt that i still didn't have much experience so he made me buy an entire case of blazer 40S&W (1000 rounds) and made me shoot over 300 rounds with his P250.

Basically, does anyone here have the p250 and if so do you like it? I like how its very customizable and you can buy kits to change calibers. If anyone disagrees please post why, all input is appreciated. :hsd:

I got much better after the 250th round were my shots were becoming much more consistent but i feel i only achieved this because i was getting use to the gun. But i want to know if you guys would suggest a better firearm.

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
First and formost I am a beginner. I have big palms with tiny thin fingers (please do not mock :hs:)

So far the 3 guns i have shot are

HK 40S&W compact
Walter... a 22 of some kind
Sig p250 40S&W compact

For the first two i didn't have much time with each and probably only going about 20 rounds each. Well last night my cousin felt that i still didn't have much experience so he made me buy an entire case of blazer 40S&W (1000 rounds) and made me shoot over 300 rounds with his P250.

Basically, does anyone here have the p250 and if so do you like it? I like how its very customizable and you can buy kits to change calibers. If anyone disagrees please post why, all input is appreciated. :hsd:

I got much better after the 250th round were my shots were becoming much more consistent but i feel i only achieved this because i was getting use to the gun. But i want to know if you guys would suggest a better firearm.

I would try a plastic gun with a high round count... Glock, XD or M&P. Most of WMD will say M&P.

and they'll also so to stay away from 40 cal. Because it's a useless round that isn't much more effective than 9mm.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
1st gun, stay basic, something reliable, simple, and awesome

Glock 17
Glock 19

Zz_3.14_zZ

Nov 5, 2003
Mid-Flolriduh
I'm kinda in the same boat. I don't have a pressing need for a hand gun, but I'd like to have one just for something else to shoot the range. I only want something in the .22 or 9mm. Because if its something that I'm going to shoot a lot, I dont wanna go broke buying ammo.

Like you, a family member took me out with a pile of guns and I liked the Ruger p95 the best. I found it to be a good size for my hand and was well balanced for me. So if I can suggest anything, I would say try a bunch of different guns and see if you can find one that fits good (keep in mind, some guns you can change the grip), your comfortable with its mechanics (I do not like the deep ass trigger on Taurus guns) and one you can afford ammo for (depending on how much you shoot).

phoenixTX

Sep 10, 2004
Dallas and OKC
Glock 19 or M&P9

I'm a huge Sig fan but no one has been really impressed with the P250. In a reasonable priced Sig, I would recommend a Sig Pro 2022 before the P250.

D-FENS

Nov 13, 2002
.40S&W is a good round and all, but unless you're going to be in combat regularly with unlimited free practice ammo, you're better off getting a 9mm. You tend to practice alot more when the ammo is cheaper, and proficiency with a slightly weaker round is much better than a bigger round you're not as skilled with. Not to mention that it's a bitch finding accessories/replacement parts for a .40 vs a 9mm or .45.

phoenixTX

Sep 10, 2004
Dallas and OKC
Not to mention that it's a bitch finding accessories/replacement parts for a .40 vs a 9mm or .45.
No, let's mention it, because I don't know WTF you're talking about. Parts for a Glock, HK USP, Sig, etc are all the same whether its for a 9, 40, 357 except for barrels and mags.

Sailor Jerry

Nov 13, 2007
Dirtona Beach
Buy a .22. Preferably a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger MK III. Shoot the piss out of it.

Once you're comfortable with that and have the basics down (grip, siglt alignment, trigger pull, etc), move up to a 9mm. Glock 17 or 19, M&P9, whatever fits your hand the best.

attomica

Oct 30, 2003
Nashville
I'm going to buck the trend and recommend a revolver. Smith & Wesson make beautiful revolvers... The best in many peoples' eyes. Also look at Ruger's GP100 in .357. They're ultra-reliable, ultra-accurate, and built like a brick shit house. Plus, they will shoot both .357 and .38 ammo, which can allow for more economical practice.

Revolvers are quite a bit simpler to operate and maintain than auto-pistols, which I think makes revolvers better for learning basic gun safety tenets.

Plus, a full-size revolver is just so bad-ass.

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
I'm going to buck the trend and recommend a revolver. Smith & Wesson make beautiful revolvers... The best in many peoples' eyes. Also look at Ruger's GP100 in .357. They're ultra-reliable, ultra-accurate, and built like a brick shit house. Plus, they will shoot both .357 and .38 ammo, which can allow for more economical practice.

Revolvers are quite a bit simpler to operate and maintain than auto-pistols, which I think makes revolvers better for learning basic gun safety tenets.

Fail.

James Hook

Never trust a government that doesn't trust its ow
Oct 9, 2007
I love my P250 .40. I'm finally getting used to it and the trigger pull and feel much better.

Rip The Jacker

Jul 24, 2002

Sounds like you just like revolvers more and are going to recommend one no matter what.

And how is a revolver going to make it easier learning basic safety?

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
i love revolvers but don't usually recommend them (except j frames for conceal carry) cause i know that most don't share my revolver love.

a good S&W .357 or .44 is reliable as fucking hell, powerful, and just god damn pretty to look at :)

Rip The Jacker

Jul 24, 2002
I want a j-frame and some old black powder revolvers. My auto pistols are my go-to guns though and I dont even see that changing.

attomica

Oct 30, 2003
Nashville

StopLiking.jpg

attomica

Oct 30, 2003
Nashville
Sounds like you just like revolvers more and are going to recommend one no matter what...
Where does anything that I said suggest I only like revolvers? I like all guns. I just happen to like revolvers more than some, I guess. Besides, anyone who says a revolver isn't as viable a suggestion as anything else should open their minds. I would never insult someone's choice of gun. In this era, where the rights we have regarding firearms are under constant attack, I'll support anyone who has a like for them regardless of what they like or choose.

It would be nice if the elitists out there would give that concept a try.

...And how is a revolver going to make it easier learning basic safety?
I feel a new gun user can focus more on muzzle control, trigger discipline, etc. when the complexities of something like an auto-pistol are eliminated. Just my opinion, which is as valid as any other's.

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
Where does anything that I said suggest I only like revolvers? I like all guns. I just happen to like revolvers more than some, I guess. Besides, anyone who says a revolver isn't as viable a suggestion as anything else should open their minds. I would never insult someone's choice of gun. In this era, where the rights we have regarding firearms are under constant attack, I'll support anyone who has a like for them regardless of what they like or choose.

It would be nice if the elitists out there would give that concept a try.

I feel a new gun user can focus more on muzzle control, trigger discipline, etc. when the complexities of something like an auto-pistol are eliminated. Just my opinion, which is as valid as any other's.

What makes an auto pistol complex? Insert mag, chamber a round, fire.

NetChemica

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2003
I would try a plastic gun with a high round count... Glock, XD or M&P. Most of WMD will say M&P.

and they'll also so to stay away from 40 cal. Because it's a useless round that isn't much more effective than 9mm.

I have an XD and an M&P. I've fired lots of Glocks. They're great guns, but I never felt comfortable shooting them.

All three are great guns and will be equally reliable. If I had to do it all over again, I would have never gotten an XD. I wish I got a fullsize M&P over an XD, but it's all down to how comfortable each gun is in my hand. They both shoot fine and have never jammed on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448