Going to drive Highway 1 from San Francisco to San Diego - Recommendations along the way?

gaara46

Jul 31, 2005
NV/CA
im doing this drive tomorrow, def gona try n hit up some recs in this thread.

dissapointed to hear the negative reviews about splash cafe, ive heard from a few people the chowder is good so ill still try it.

Reactions: Sp33dealer

Sp33dealer

Bully Troll Crew
Aug 3, 2005
DFW
im doing this drive tomorrow, def gona try n hit up some recs in this thread.

dissapointed to hear the negative reviews about splash cafe, ive heard from a few people the chowder is good so ill still try it.
I went to college in the area and people never shut up about that place. I’m not a seafood guy so I never had it. Iirc there is 2 locations, one in Pismo Beach and one in SLO proper

Reactions: FlyNReeLow

VicenteFox

Does your mother still hang out at dockside bars?
Sep 15, 2001
Garbage Grove, Ca
Thanks for all the suggestions! The trip is mostly plotted. I just need to add a few little details (gas stations, maybe find an extra restaurant or two), but I think it'll be an excellent drive!

(Since I've done Highway 1 down to Monterey previously, I decided to take 101 to Monterey to save a bit of time there and be able to spend more time in Big Sur on some hikes)

J606BqU.jpg
how many days you have planned?

TS
TS
Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Bay Area
nice. in my head that map was a 5 day trip
Yeah, I did a similar trip from Seattle to San Francisco last year. I was almost perfect with my time planning, maximizing every day.

The wild card this time around is that my partner is going with me, but I did the Seattle -> San Francisco trip by myself. She’s absolutely terrible at getting going on time, so I’ve tried to budget in an extra 30-60 minutes in the morning compared to what I would do if I were alone.

ptMO4k6.png

TS
TS
Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Bay Area
Santa Barbara -> San Clemente

Better do this at the right time of day or it is going to take you 6 hours.
That’s likely to be the longest day.

We will be doing that part on Tuesday, but with some stops in the Santa Monica Mountains/Malibu area, I’m expecting that we’ll be passing by LAX around 12-1.

I don’t expect that to be the right time of day :rofl:

I’m in no rush though. Given the route I’m planning, it would be 4-5 hours without traffic. I’m expecting 6-8 in the car.

I just hope we get to San Clemente in time to hit up Pizza Port. :yum: :beer:

VicenteFox

Sep 15, 2001
Garbage Grove, Ca
the best meal i've ever had along big sur was a semi-cold breakfast burrito and a coffee porter at the willow creek picnic area

hondaluva

likes free hugs...
Jul 6, 2001
In for answers....

I started to do the opposite from San Diego, but finished at the Santa Monica pier and never got back to it.

Tonster MBA

OT'r of the Year 2013
OT Supporter
Jul 10, 2007
LA
That’s likely to be the longest day.

We will be doing that part on Tuesday, but with some stops in the Santa Monica Mountains/Malibu area, I’m expecting that we’ll be passing by LAX around 12-1.

I don’t expect that to be the right time of day :rofl:

I’m in no rush though. Given the route I’m planning, it would be 4-5 hours without traffic. I’m expecting 6-8 in the car.

I just hope we get to San Clemente in time to hit up Pizza Port. :yum: :beer:
Might consider stopping for a beer at Neptune's Net on PCH on Ventura LA county line.

Reactions: Vanilla Tarantino

gaara46

Jul 31, 2005
NV/CA
TS,

i dunno if you have a set schedule, but i drove from monterey to ventura today and it was painful from about monterey to san simeon.

good amount of traffic and they were all goin 10mph under the limit and i guess no one can read/care about the multiple slow car turnouts. yeah i get it, its a scenic drive but there was coastal fog so there was nothing to even slow down to gawk at.

i liked the chowder at splash cafe, and the hitching point was a nice oldschool vibe place. good steak. zero cell reception there tho haha.

VicenteFox

Sep 15, 2001
Garbage Grove, Ca
TS,

i dunno if you have a set schedule, but i drove from monterey to ventura today and it was painful from about monterey to san simeon.

good amount of traffic and they were all goin 10mph under the limit and i guess no one can read/care about the multiple slow car turnouts. yeah i get it, its a scenic drive but there was coastal fog so there was nothing to even slow down to gawk at.

i liked the chowder at splash cafe, and the hitching point was a nice oldschool vibe place. good steak. zero cell reception there tho haha.

there are weeks at time in may/june into July where the marine layer is so thick that the flow creates like a moving wall over PCH. you see so many tourists pulled over trying to look at bixby bridge yet you can barely see it. i usually recommend fall for central coast since it's way sunnier and summer crowds have died down

VicenteFox

Sep 15, 2001
Garbage Grove, Ca
Realize on day 4 and you pass the Long Beach traffic circle you are only 1.5 miles directly north of me. And the worst of the industrial portion of your drive is done so feel to stop at the Staples to your right and grab that ream of paper you have been needing.

the whole socal drive looks a chore to me

Reactions: Iconoclast

VicenteFox

Sep 15, 2001
Garbage Grove, Ca
mix in as much santa monica mtns as you want. this is a bigger traverse but you can just go up and down. Skip most of LA, added in Venice just to have a taste of what socal streets are like. then cruise nice beaches to san clemente.
1656088681764.png

can't seem to set it to go along back bay, but it's a one way slow rd along a wetland
1656088752977.png

TS
TS
Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Bay Area
Realize on day 4 and you pass the Long Beach traffic circle you are only 1.5 miles directly north of me. And the worst of the industrial portion of your drive is done so feel to stop at the Staples to your right and grab that ream of paper you have been needing.

the whole socal drive looks a chore to me

mix in as much santa monica mtns as you want. this is a bigger traverse but you can just go up and down. Skip most of LA, added in Venice just to have a taste of what socal streets are like. then cruise nice beaches to san clemente.
View attachment 233969

can't seem to set it to go along back bay, but it's a one way slow rd along a wetland
View attachment 233970
Ok, ok :rofl:

I’ll cut out some of the LA PCH stuff. Sounds like it’s really, really not worth it.

That will give an extra hour, guarantee some more time in Laguna Beach which looks to be an awesome area to explore.

Reactions: Iconoclast

ObeyTheNoodle

Russian Warship, Go Fuck Yourself
Aug 3, 2001
Seattle
Don't stay in the Motel 6 in Carpinteria. Stayed at that place 20 years ago when I was driving up 101 from San Diego and was exhausted from driving all day. It was late and that hotel was the only place that was cheap/had rooms. I think a murder happened in the room I stayed in because there was dried blood on the sheets, pillow, and towels. Front desk didn't respond to my calls so I ended up sleeping on top on the bed with all of my clothes still on and wearing a hoodie so no skin touched the sheets. I tried to talk to the manager about it the next morning but during the course of our conversation, this person's comprehension of English suddenly got really bad so I wasn't able to get anything resolved...

Worst hotel I've ever stayed in. :coolugh: :eek::yikes:

• Barf
Reactions: Dusty Busterson

hondaluva

likes free hugs...
Jul 6, 2001
MY only recommendation is to at least drive by Oceanside beach, it's the best Socal beach imo.

I say drive-through because by then I'm sure you're gonna want to hit the finish line.

Del Mar any day over the summer is tits. last thursday they had a car show and all of downtown had classic cars for 6 blocks long.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandy Lyle