GAME Good games that revolve around economic simulation?

Sooka

Feb 25, 2004
East Coast
I recently began taking an Economics course in college and it made me realize how absolutely little I know about economics. Does anyone know of any good PC games (strategy or otherwise) that have a realistic simulation of a real-world economy and can possibly help someone gain a better understanding of basic economics?

If I have to read one more chapter in this damn book I'm going to take a drill to my fucking head. This college economics book I got is one of the most boring and headache-inducing books I've ever read in my life. It's written like a fucking business contract. :wtc:

Lukkie

OT Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Seriously though, there are lots of games where you can apply economics concepts too. Most people use these concepts without realizing they are economics ones.

Take Starcraft 2. A criticism made of newer players is they often make a handful of units early on and just have em sit there doing nothing. They might seem "free" in the sense that you already paid for them, but what's really to consider is the opportunity cost of producing those units, which was the workers you couldn't produce because you paid for marines. Was the extra "defense" really worth it? Maybe your opponent scouted you out and is now droning (or rather, the cost of him producing small attacking units to try and take out your marines was not worth the opportunity cost, in this case, producing workers and just crushing you 5 minutes later) up while you have a wasted group of marines in your base.

Lukkie

OT Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I suppose the most obvious examples of economics-in-your-face would be Sim City and Civilization, but I think MMO economies would give you a better grasp.

Fearan

came here to post about starcraft as a joke

then decided that SimCity 4 was probably a better bet

Der SchattenJager

Kupo, asshat.
Mar 13, 2003
Dayton, OH
Are we talking macro- or micro-economics?

There are a lot games out there that have their own economy, but if you're looking for a game that simulates a real-world economy, look at something like Business Tycoon or Capitalism II.

Or for something slightly less realistic, the Civ or Total War games.

TS
TS
Sooka

Sooka

Feb 25, 2004
East Coast
Are we talking macro- or micro-economics?

There are a lot games out there that have their own economy, but if you're looking for a game that simulates a real-world economy, look at something like Business Tycoon or Capitalism II.

Or for something slightly less realistic, the Civ or Total War games.

Macroeconomics.

I've played plenty of Civ and Total War but I've never really put that much economic thought into them and always sucked at managing resources, maybe I should revisit them with a different thought process. I'll definitely check out Business Tycoon and Capitalism II.

Boomdart

Apr 28, 2005
Cities XL

It's just like a 3D sim city 4, but you have to manage a hell of a lot more. Also, read the instructions or you'll be hugely limited as to what you can build.

Making individual buildings instead of plotting land for the buildings is a big part of getting everything right and if you don't know how to do that, it'll suck.

You also have to control the commerce between cities you've made or cities from other people playing online. No one map has all the resources you need, you have to be able to trade.

CodeX

Any large MMO would be your best bet IMO... the intrinsic value of commodities is actually tangible in those games, and the markets actually fluctuate due to similar factors as real life.

I have heard Eve has a fairly complex economy but haven't played it long (I thought it sucked...) I know WoW has an extremely responsive economic system but you have to also have knowledge of the rest of the game, including end game, to understand it, to predict changes in a way to profit from them.

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
www.wallstreetsurvivor.com

had to play this in high school for one of my classes. had my portfolio going pretty solid for awhile then i stopped caring and everything tanked. as a matter of fact I think my account is still good...:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor