ART Good step up lens from the kit lens? Canon 18-55 kit lens

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
What is a good step up lens in terms of optical quality/glass quality. Focal range isn't overly important, I have a 55-250 which is decent quality (another kit quality lens). But I've thought about the possibility of a better 18ish to 55 or 18 to 85ish focal range lens. But something that has an aperture of 1.4 or 2.8, something better than the kit lens. This will give me more versatility in low light situations (ie shooting friends/family indoors).

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
What body have you got?

Because honestly the lens might not be such a limiting factor for you right now.

2.8 to 5.6 (the slowest end of your kit lens) is two stops so why not try upping the ISO and see if the results are acceptable before rushing out and buying more stuff :dunno:

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
What body have you got?

Because honestly the lens might not be such a limiting factor for you right now.

2.8 to 5.6 (the slowest end of your kit lens) is two stops so why not try upping the ISO and see if the results are acceptable before rushing out and buying more stuff :dunno:

exactly my point.

learn how to use the camera, then worry about lenses.

Wobistdu

tamron 17-50 2.8 non-vc

sharp as fuck and doesn't hunt as bad as people love to say

fuck buying for FF. worry about FF lenses when you are adding a FF camera to your shopping cart

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
What body have you got?

I've got a T2i and from the reviews I've read the lens is a setback for this camera.

But I am not yet able to fully utilize the capability of the camera...

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
What body have you got?

ISO 3200 is ok, 6400 gets a bit noisy...hell 3200 has visible noise at reasonable sizes but its acceptable...

I was shooting a lot of ISO 3200 and 6400 at a buddies house during the super bowl. That resulted in a lot of slow shutter speeds so some of the pics of his kids didn't turn out as well as we had hoped.

grphx

Jul 2, 2010
Oklahoma
Only bad thing I can think of about the lens is the noise it makes when you are focusing, but then again it's not that bad. Maybe bad if you're shooting a wedding, but you probably wouldn't want to use a f/2.8 for a wedding.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
I've got a T2i and from the reviews I've read the lens is a setback for this camera.

But I am not yet able to fully utilize the capability of the camera...

Yup. Honestly man we've all been here, hating on our gear for not getting the results we want. You should learn to utilise your camera better before buying a ton of stuff. I think most of us have fallen into that phase at some point.

Instead of reading the reviews (which definitely influence me.. i'm sure they do the same for you), find out exactly what problems you're having.

ISO 3200 is ok, 6400 gets a bit noisy...hell 3200 has visible noise at reasonable sizes but its acceptable...

I was shooting a lot of ISO 3200 and 6400 at a buddies house during the super bowl. That resulted in a lot of slow shutter speeds so some of the pics of his kids didn't turn out as well as we had hoped.

The Tamron is reportedly a great lens, and it will get you an extra stop at the wide end and two more stops at 50mm. I get the impression you're just starting out so honestly I'd advise that you just step up the ISO a bit more, especially if they're just photos for fun or for friends. You can do great noise reduction with software now anyway.

By the way, if you're at ISO 3200 and 6400 inside his house couldn't you just turn on a light? :noes:

Wobistdu

i shot with my 18-105 kit lens for a month and realized how much it sucked. soft as shit, usually wide open was f/4 or tighter... kit lenses just suck

TS
TS
6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95

OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2003
Oklahoma
Yup. Honestly man we've all been here, hating on our gear for not getting the results we want. You should learn to utilise your camera better before buying a ton of stuff. I think most of us have fallen into that phase at some point.

Instead of reading the reviews (which definitely influence me.. i'm sure they do the same for you), find out exactly what problems you're having.

The Tamron is reportedly a great lens, and it will get you an extra stop at the wide end and two more stops at 50mm. I get the impression you're just starting out so honestly I'd advise that you just step up the ISO a bit more, especially if they're just photos for fun or for friends. You can do great noise reduction with software now anyway.

By the way, if you're at ISO 3200 and 6400 inside his house couldn't you just turn on a light? :noes:

Well it was pretty dim, we were watching the super bowl but his kids were absolutely cracking us up. Could have used the flash, but decided against it.

jsmonet

egg
Sep 20, 2002
so cali
the 18-55is feels like shit, sounds like shit, focuses slow as shit, but it's surprisingly high quality considering it's worth all of 80 bucks.

JeffForSale

OT Supporter
Sep 6, 2004
CO
So I was also look for a good step up lens from my t2i kit lens and I came across this thread. I'm basically torn between 3 choice and I'm not sure what decision to make. Any suggestions yall could provide would be helpful!

Tamron 17-50 2.8 - In two different threads this has been the main suggestion

24 mm - 70 mm - F/2.8 - Friends have suggested this one to me. Thoughts?

24 mm - 105 mm - F/4.0 - Another friend suggested this to me cause it has image stabilization, is half the weight, and a little less expensive. There's a whole stop difference between the two though

I'm looking for a good all around/ walk around lens. Mainly for photography and SOME video

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19