TECH Google +1 button comes out tomorrow

autox

Twitter bot
Oct 18, 2002
http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/31/google-plus-one-button/
Oh, Google. Hate to do this again, but you really need to lock up these partners and get your PR in order.

A week after we got a pitch from a partner NFC company all-but-confirming that Google’s New York City event would be about their mobile payment system (Google Wallet), another partner has reached out ahead of another announcement. This time, an email seemingly confirms that Google is going to launch their +1 button for websites tomorrow.

Here’s the deal: Google reached out to us earlier to see if we’d be interested in getting some “big” news under embargo. We hate embargoes, but Google is generally good at holding them so we play ball from time to time (plus our “sometimes accept embargoes, sometimes don’t” policy keeps everyone on their toes). Anyway, we agreed to hear what Google’s news is. But they haven’t actually told us what the news is yet because our briefing isn’t until later today. So we can’t possibly know what we’re under embargo for. So we’re not under embargo.

Plus, if a partner is sending us unsolicited emails telling us what is being announced, all bets are off anyway.

In this case, Clearspring’s PR company, New Venture Communications, has written us to say that: “I understand that Google planned to reach out to you about the new Google +1 button for websites that they’ll be unveiling shortly. I thought you might be interested in speaking with Hooman Radfar, CEO of Clearspring, about the company’s role as a launch partner for Google +1.”

So, we can probably expect a +1 button tomorrow with Clearspring’s AddThis tool on board to serve it up. A bit more:

The +1 button is designed to help publisher’s content stand out in search results by giving users the ability to +1 content. The more chances users get to +1 content, the more likely publishers’ URLs are to show up in search results with +1 annotations. This helps users highlight which results are most useful and helps publishers better engage with their audience.

You may recall that earlier this month, Google “accidentally” leaked their +1 Chrome extension via a commercial. That extension is still not available. The +1 button is slightly different in that publishers would presumably be able to embed it on their own sites. Given that this can alter the way Google Search results are served up, this is potentially a big deal.

Presumably, we’ll be under embargo shortly on all of this, so expect to hear more tomorrow. Heh. Unless a partner emails us more details first!

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006
So it will be manipulated by BHers and then devalued by Google and we'll be back to where we are today :dunno:

Browning

Most Adblocked AV Ever
Feb 14, 2005
don't see the point. Google is getting gay now imo and turning into every other search engine out there. I liked google cause it was simple and uncluttered.

2000e46

Feb 17, 2005
Somewhere
don't see the point. Google is getting gay now imo and turning into every other search engine out there. I liked google cause it was simple and uncluttered.

I'm finding myself using Yahoo or Bing just as much. Google has lost much of what it stood for years ago and is now just as "Corporate" as any other search engine.

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006
There's no way Google is going to allow this to have any significant effect on SERPs. The fundamental idea behind google's algorithm is to prevent manipulation thus delivering quality to the user :rofl:

It is (almost) impossible to do anything that will directly harm a competitor's website. Google is very aware of the SEO game and BH'ers and I doubt they would suddenly give them that much power. If so, the quality of google's SERPs would drop and people will eventually go to Bing, as the first page in Google would be all bullshit ebooks and affiliate sites. Lol.

komplex

There's no way Google is going to allow this to have any significant effect on SERPs. The fundamental idea behind google's algorithm is to prevent manipulation thus delivering quality to the user :rofl:

It is (almost) impossible to do anything that will directly harm a competitor's website. Google is very aware of the SEO game and BH'ers and I doubt they would suddenly give them that much power. If so, the quality of google's SERPs would drop and people will eventually go to Bing, as the first page in Google would be all bullshit ebooks and affiliate sites. Lol.

But if you +1 something it sticks to the top of the results when that keyword is searched. So if someone +1 a competitor site, it's going to push mine down even more. Not for everyone but for all the people that do this, it could add up a lot. :hs:

TS
TS
autox

autox

Twitter bot
Oct 18, 2002
Some competitors have already done a better job than me at seo so I need to make sure I don't miss out on this in case it's actually important :hs:

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006
But if you +1 something it sticks to the top of the results when that keyword is searched. So if someone +1 a competitor site, it's going to push mine down even more. Not for everyone but for all the people that do this, it could add up a lot. :hs:

Right. You can't do anything that will harm a competitor's site; you can only do stuff that will hopefully help push your own site above theirs. It's a subtle difference, but a very important one.

All I'm saying is that there's no way that Google is going to let people clicking +1 have a big impact on SERPs. Cuz that would be so easy to manipulate. I remember they did something like that a few years ago, you could click something in the results... a +1 or a thumbs up or something, I don't remember, but it was only for your own personal results. It had no effect on what other people saw :rofl: Or it might just be a local thing.

Here are some more articles:

http://ronrule.com/2011/03/31/google-social-spam/

http://www.attacat.co.uk/brain/why-google-1-will-be-difficult-to-abuse#axzz1O2M6qSNE

Only showing your Google friends' recommendations, trust rank for users, etc.

None the less, I guarantee you there will be morons on WarriorForum and related forums offering packages of "will +1 your website 500/1000/11ty billion times" for some cheap price :rofl:

2000e46

Feb 17, 2005
Somewhere
I'm not a big fan of this because it seems like it will be based more on friends than on how good an actual site is, but maybe there is a way some of us OTers could work together to +1 some of our sites?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan