GUN Graduation present; OT help me decide

Boosted98gsx

Jul 27, 2002
Texas
Here are the options as I see them:

1) Concealable handgun (will be a 1911 3" barrel variant of some kind)

2) a) Progressive reloading press
and either
b) Giraud case trimmer or
c) good chronograph

3) Gemtech 7.62 Suppressor (for multical use)

What do you think?

yar1182

Mar 26, 2008
Ventura California
I don't think you can call yourself a serious shooter unless you own a dillon. I do like the giraud. I wish I had one myself, would be better than my dillon power trim.

Chronographs are pretty basic. I have two CE chrono's

TS
TS
Boosted98gsx

Boosted98gsx

Jul 27, 2002
Texas
Well I am tired of mounting up case after case into a lee trimmer and cramping my hands from manually trimming 100's of cases. It's getting to the point (especially with my .45 acp loads) that my single stage is getting close to being retired. It's okay for doing precision loads, since I watch each individual process, but for bulk loading, it's a pain in the ass to have to set up hundreds of .45 acp through each progressive stage with a single stage press.

phoenixTX

Sep 10, 2004
Dallas and OKC
Is this a graduation present for you and someone has given you these options?

At first I thought you were considering purchasing these items for someone else as gifts... was wondering how the logistics of purchasing that tax stamp for someone else was going to work.

TS
TS
Boosted98gsx

Boosted98gsx

Jul 27, 2002
Texas
Is this a graduation present for you and someone has given you these options?

At first I thought you were considering purchasing these items for someone else as gifts... was wondering how the logistics of purchasing that tax stamp for someone else was going to work.

It's for myself.

TS
TS
Boosted98gsx

Boosted98gsx

Jul 27, 2002
Texas
The suppressor is going to be a lot of paperwork, getting the CLEO to sign off on it, $200 tax stamp, and then waiting for BATFE to process things, which is about a 4 month turn around right now.

dpixel8

Feb 8, 2001
WI Go Bucky!!!!!!!
Gemtech does a tax day promo every year on/around April 15th. They pay your $200 transfer tax if you buy one of their silencers during the specified time period, and they're diff. ones each time.

The very first time they did it they sold the Tundra 9mm silencer and I snagged one. Dealer and I filled out paperwork, mailed it to Gemtech and they submitted all of the ones they received (way more than they anticipated) with one big ass check to the ATF.

:werd:

Last year I took advantage of it and got a Multimount. Was great. This year, their selection wasn't of anything I really wanted, so I didn't. I think you're right, they sold way more the year prior than they expected.

I'd still get a 'tat for a can :mamoru:

dpixel8

Feb 8, 2001
WI Go Bucky!!!!!!!
I would too, something discreet though, not some huge shit on my back/side/whatever.

:werd: Have you seen Travis'? It's very classy. Looks clean as fuck.

EDIT: and why aren't you on Skype? We've got deets on probably when we're going to be down your way. Looks like we're going to be in the MCO area though

Keesh

Oct 26, 2003
Get a 650 and a chronograph. A chronograph is one of the most useful shooting tools you can own. I trim with a RCBS Trim Pro and a jig I built to hook it up to my drill press. Or you can just chuck it up to a hand drill.

Your not trimming handgun brass are you?

TS
TS
Boosted98gsx

Boosted98gsx

Jul 27, 2002
Texas
Get a 650 and a chronograph. A chronograph is one of the most useful shooting tools you can own. I trim with a RCBS Trim Pro and a jig I built to hook it up to my drill press. Or you can just chuck it up to a hand drill.

Your not trimming handgun brass are you?

Absolutely not. I do not trim straight walled brass. (well i trim my 45-70 brass once, just to make sure it's not overly long, then never again).

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan